SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Wales :)

glitzyglamgirl

Hello, my name is Jacqui and I joined this forum as it was the first to come up when I googled "astronomy forum" and it seems very friendly, I like it :)

I am very exited about getting started in stargazing. I bought a cheap and cheerful Bresser 60mm to start with, we have had a little play with it and after getting some excellent advice in the beginners section, will be attempting to eyeball the moon tonight. I am so exited!

My fiance and I are both very interested in astronomy, and fancy ourselves as armchair experts on the solar system. Though... that is debateable :mad: We watch a lot of docu's on the matter anyway and always are glued to the screen with the amazing images. To see these things for ourselves...would be amazing.

I am a great believer that this generation is going to see some amazing advances in space technology...to be around in these times makes me almost proud to be human :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and Welcome from me, I'm in Wales too, East Cardiff to be exact! You'll learn so much here, everyone is fab, I haven't been a member for long but my confidence and knowledge has soared with all the wonderful advice and tips from these guys.

Enjoy

Amanda

I'm envious of all you guys in Wales. St Davids is still the only place I've ever managed to see the Milky Way with the naked eye.

From down in North Kent I can't just about make out the roof of my house, on a clear night!

Thank you for such a warm welcome!

I live just north of Cardiff, Taffs Well..though originally from SE Kent..been here 5 years and still struggle with pronunciations of place names lol

Just going to eat a chinese (for those local...the Chinese Takeaway in Taffs Well, opposite the co-op, is THE BEST I have ever tasted!) then will attempt another viewing of the moon...it was quite cloudy earlier but hoping it clears up a bit.

This is so exiting and I am so glad to have found such a helpful, friendly and welcoming place to share my experiences and learn from others!

Thank you xxx

Welcome Jacqui from another South Walian girl :)- I'm just up the road from you in Ystrad Mynach. That's a a neat little scope you've got there. The moon will amaze you!

Any questions just shout! (in fact if you shouted load enough I could probably hear you...!) and certainly keep the excitement coming too!

Helen

Nice to have you with us Jacqui. Don't ever lose that enthusiasm, it's very infectious. You've added to an already large Welsh contingent on SGL, so you among good company who are also very helpful should you need it.

Enjoy your stay.

Ron.:)

I regularly travel through Taffs Well Jacqui, on the trusty arriva trains Wales service, to Glamorgan Uni in Trefforest!

I have always found that the light pollution isn't too bad in Cardiff (compared to Swindon for example) but you really don't have to travel far to get some amazing views. I will never forget the holiday I had in the Gower four years ago - Llanmadoc to be exact - laying on my back at 2am, staring right into the Milky Way - probably one of the highlights of my life so far!

Hope you manage to get some good stargazing sessions in soon, more than happy to help with any questions you have, but just on the basic level lol! I'm still very much a novice! There are plenty of experts to help you on the more advanced side of things though, this forum is so friendly.

Amanda

Archived