NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Spaghetti Nebula (Simeis 147, Sh2-240)

geeklee

This image was another collaboration with @Adreneline  where we shared our Ha and OIII.  It comprises a total of 23.75 hours of Ha and 11 hours of OIII.  The Ha data is a mix of mosaic data and "all in one" where our differing setups attempted to cover the whole of the nebula.

The capture for this was started on 17th November 2021 and include subs from 17Nov21, 05Dec21, 07Dec21, 10Dec21, 28Dec21, 01Jan22, 03Jan22, 06Jan22 and 21Jan22.  Most of the data was captured by both of us with the Samyang 135 @ F2.6 (with stop down ring).  A little Ha was done with my RedCat.

I'm not sure if one or both of us are finished shooting this, but after many attempts I've settled on an image I don't want to immediately throw in the bin!

If you've imaged this yourself you know how weak some of the data is and how it feels like there's even more compromises than normal!  My main trade off was leaving a busy starfield - which I personally like as I think the nebula still stands out enough.

There's a lot of intricate detail within this nebula that I want to explore a little closer at a later date.

Thanks for looking!

2022-Sh2-240-All-LB-AA-HaOIII.thumb.png.9b2fd219da851c0def7bccd315dffff1.png

• Like 41

Thanks for the positive comments Olly (@ollypenrice) and Steve  (@tomato).  The starless version is very nice and has that little bit of extra depth that a busy starfield can sometimes hide.  The Samyang is an easy lens to recommend - very particular spacing with an astro cam and filters but once you're up and running you'll have a lot of wider field options.

Well done both of you and Lee who I presume did the processing which must have beena  Tour de Force, with all the different equipment and mosaics over so many nights.  

As you say it is a difficult target, very faint and very large, and the Oiii is even dimmer.  A lovely result.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Adamar98

Thanks @Clarkey I think your 600D version was a superb image.  Equipment differences always come into play.

Thanks @carastro For this one, it wasn't too bad (certainly not like a previous collaboration from late 2021 of a region in Cepheus - four panes with Ha, OIII and SII!) as most of the data was from the Samyang lens with a 183MM camera.  Seeing the OIII come out in this image was a real treat especially in the very faint regions.  

• 1 month later...