Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

Hi Anthony

This is the fellow I followed to load the EQ firmware on the Az GTi:

https://youtu.be/GlsgQelZ08c?si=gFdQruiFW0dgr6cN

This link talks about the choices of EQ wedge for the Az GTi

You will also need a counterweight shaft and counterweights:

AZ-GTi Counterweight Options - Mounts - Cloudy Nights

When the EQ firmware is loaded yo will still be able to use the Az GTi in alt az mode but you must be aware of two things. You will need to use the Pro version of the Synscan software. When you open the app it will detect that you have upgraded to the EQ firmware and it will prompt you to input what mode you intend to use 

for that session, alt az or eq mode. That's easy, the thing that confuses some people is that if want to use the mount in alt az mode that session you will have to install the telescope on the other side of the mount.

AZ GTi - How to mount the scope on the right side. - Mounts - Cloudy Nights

I've placed some images of the different scope orientations.

Finally this link talks about using the Asiair with the Az GTi in alt az mode:

ZWO asiair (or asiair pro) with Skywatcher AZ-GTi in alt-az mode - Mounts - Cloudy Nights

I think I've everything right, please don't hesitate to ask further questions but please understand I am a novice!

az gti left side.jpeg

az gti right side.jpg

Edited by LaurenceT
image placement corrections
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 15:59, badhex said:

As previously mentioned, True North is referenced on Page 7 of the manual I attached as the Home position. It is not mentioned on the alignment pages, however we can infer that they mean true north since it's the home position of the scope from which the north level alignment starts. 

Ultimately if your tripod is level, and even if you are only using a rough eyeball to find north - after the first 2-3 alignments the mount should have been corrected for any initial errors [...]. 

When using the mount regularly, I frequently just made sure the tripod itself was definitely level as that's the base on which the mount sits and rotates, eyeballed north (I had a reference building which was pretty much north), eyeballed the scope to level, and then ran the routine with a very low power EP in place for the final corrections. I genuinely rarely had any issues at all.

New user question:  Is north level align more accurate than two-star?  I did a level align for the first time this morning and SynScan had me do a two-star alignment anyway. Or maybe I misunderstood what the software was doing?

I did try a one-star first, but that was off a fair bit even with a low power EP.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

The more star alignment you do the better. A 3 point alignment in 3D space is better than 2 point. But in alt az your mount also needs to be level, without this you'll experience some form of inaccuracy. The goto of the azgti is okay at best (for the price you can't complain), you'll see the difference when you start to use more expensive mounts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

New user question:  Is north level align more accurate than two-star?  I did a level align for the first time this morning and SynScan had me do a two-star alignment anyway. Or maybe I misunderstood what the software was doing?

I did try a one-star first, but that was off a fair bit even with a low power EP.

Yep, so the northern level alignment starts with two-star alignment directly after the levelling part of the routine. After that you should be reasonably accurate, and each time you slew thereafter you're adding improvements to the pointing model anyway, as it asks you to manually centre after slewing. Essentially you are always aligning.

The more accurate you are with your north level and then subsequent two star alignment will determine the accuracy of the first slew, and the minor correction of each slew (if any) will determine the further accuracy of the next slew and so on.

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

Help please. I am just beginning to use my AZ-GTi with a telescope as opposed to a camera and find that I need to change from the arm on the right to the arm on the left. I have read posts and comments about a firmware update but can't find simple instructions, all seem to presuppose a familiarity that I don't have. I saw some links to guides on CloudyNights but can't access them. The AZ-GTi  Skywatcher tutorial recommends a USB dongle (available from Rother Valley etc) but still doesn't really go into basics. Chat GPT did give instructions as follows but with no reference to firmware update. 

The Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi mount allows for both right-arm and left-arm configurations, which is helpful for different setups, like when you're using a Newtonian reflector or a Maksutov-Cassegrain. Here’s how to change it from a right-arm to a left-arm mounting:

Steps to Change from Right-Arm to Left-Arm Mounting:

1. Loosen the Altitude Locking Knob:

• On the side of the mount, there’s an altitude (up-down) locking knob. Loosen this to allow the mount arm to move freely.
  2. Rotate the Arm to the Left Position:

• Once the altitude axis is loosened, carefully rotate the entire mount arm from the right (default position) to the left-hand side.
    • The arm can swing fully over the top of the mount, allowing you to place it on the opposite side.
  3. Tighten the Altitude Locking Knob:

• Once the arm is in the desired left-arm position, retighten the altitude locking knob to secure the mount arm in place.

Could anyone please guide me on this? Where do I start?

18 minutes ago, Bill-T said:

Help please. I am just beginning to use my AZ-GTi with a telescope as opposed to a camera and find that I need to change from the arm on the right to the arm on the left. I have read posts and comments about a firmware update but can't find simple instructions, all seem to presuppose a familiarity that I don't have. I saw some links to guides on CloudyNights but can't access them. The AZ-GTi  Skywatcher tutorial recommends a USB dongle (available from Rother Valley etc) but still doesn't really go into basics. Chat GPT did give instructions as follows but with no reference to firmware update. 

The Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi mount allows for both right-arm and left-arm configurations, which is helpful for different setups, like when you're using a Newtonian reflector or a Maksutov-Cassegrain. Here’s how to change it from a right-arm to a left-arm mounting:

Steps to Change from Right-Arm to Left-Arm Mounting:

1. Loosen the Altitude Locking Knob:

• On the side of the mount, there’s an altitude (up-down) locking knob. Loosen this to allow the mount arm to move freely.
  2. Rotate the Arm to the Left Position:

• Once the altitude axis is loosened, carefully rotate the entire mount arm from the right (default position) to the left-hand side.
    • The arm can swing fully over the top of the mount, allowing you to place it on the opposite side.
  3. Tighten the Altitude Locking Knob:

• Once the arm is in the desired left-arm position, retighten the altitude locking knob to secure the mount arm in place.

Could anyone please guide me on this? Where do I start?

Firstly, what mode is your Az GTi firmware set to? Is it Alt Az mode or is it EQ mode?

It will be AZ mode but don't know firmware version. It's a replacement unit after a warranty fault, should have it tomorrow. It's a new unit. I'll check when I get it . How do I see firmware version, is it via SkyscanPro?

1 hour ago, Bill-T said:

It will be AZ mode but don't know firmware version. It's a replacement unit after a warranty fault, should have it tomorrow. It's a new unit. I'll check when I get it . How do I see firmware version, is it via SkyscanPro?

You don't need a wifi dongle as the Az GTi broadcasts it's own wifi.

Go to this site and locate the appropriate firmware and firmware loader

Sky-Watcher | Sky-Watcher Global Website

The loader you want is the second from the top and is the wifi version 1.84, you must download this to load the firmware onto the mount.

"This application is used to update the motor controller's firmware of a Skywatcher telescope mount, which has a built-in Wi-Fi module or an external SynScan Wi-Fi dongle.

*Please note that this program does not support the firmware update for a Star Adventurer Mini and a Star Adventurer 2i via WiFi."

The firmware you need to download if you want to change the mount from AZ to EQ is the Az GTi Right Arm AZ/EQ Dual Mode version 3.4 but will also inform you of the type of firmware that is already loaded.

The loader will be able to inform you of the firmware that your mount has loaded on it, should you wish to change it then the following will help you:

"This firmware is for mounting a telescope on the right side of the AZ-GTi(or AZ-GTe, AZ-GTiX) mounts when the telescope is pointing forwards. Warning: Please note that the AZ-GTi ( or Az-GTe, AZ-GTiX) mount is not intended for astrophotography. In this firmware version, we enable the option to operate the mount in equatorial mode for experienced customers who want to explore the full potential of the AZ-GTi (or AZ-GTe, AZ-GTiX) mounts and have fun. Performance for astrophotography is not guaranteed and average customer might experience challenges in obtaining the result that they expected."

2To find the firmware version for your Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi mount, you can check the motor controller firmware loaded dialog box:

Turn on the power

Connect to the SynScan Wi-Fi

Go to the motor controller firmware loaded dialog box

Click on MC version 

The firmware for the AZ-GTi mount enables the mount to operate in equatorial mode. You can update the firmware using the Motor Controller Firmware Loader via a USB connection. "

I have successfully changed the firmware of my Az GTi wirelessly, it's up to you to decide which method you prefer should you wish to change the firmware. If you don't want the EQ firmware you may still see a later version of the AZ firmware than is already loaded.

This video will help you:

https://youtu.be/GlsgQelZ08c?si=MCbxWplHqC6bvWFV

I hope I've been accurate with this but you must do your own research as I can't be responsible for any adverse effects that may occur.

Edited by LaurenceT
  • Like 1

Thank you, that's really helpful and I greatly appreciate your taking the time to explain it. I'm OK with updating camera firmware generally but use a wired connection because I always fear loss of Wi-Fi and bricking the hardware. This is why I was thinking of buying the usb dongle but I'm probably being overcautious.

It looks as though I have a long evening ahead watching You Tube videos.

I could simply mount the C90 scope on my camera 'L' bracket instead of directly onto the AZ GTi dovetail though it would slightly increase the out of balance load on the bearings. The finder and adjustment knob would then be correctly positioned as on my tripod pan and tilt head.

Thank you, that's really helpful and I greatly appreciate your taking the time to explain it. I'm OK with updating camera firmware generally but use a wired connection because I always fear loss of Wi-Fi and bricking the hardware. This is why I was thinking of buying the usb dongle but I'm probably being overcautious.

It looks as though I have a long evening ahead watching You Tube videos.

I could simply mount the C90 scope on my camera 'L' bracket instead of directly onto the AZ GTi dovetail though it would slightly increase the out of balance load on the bearings. The finder and adjustment knob would then be correctly positioned as on my tripod pan and tilt head.

All sorted. New tracker has current software and seems completely happy with cope mounted on right of AZ GTi as long as start alignment set in that configuration.

Counterbalance may be a good idea but the overall weight limit is 5kg, be easy to exceed this.