Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a new scope

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to this hobby and there's a few telescopes I've been looking into across a few budget points. I'm most interested in the planets, the moon and double stars, though would definitely like the ability to explore other things, so a good 'all rounder' would suit me best. 

The first is the Sky-Watcher Explorer 150P F/5 which is relatively cheap, but seems to have good reviews.

The second is the Altair Ascent 102ED F/7  which despite not having many reviews seems to be a solid choice

The third is the more expensive option, the Sky-Watcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro  F/9 - which has better glass than the former.

If anybody has any opinions on these choices or any additional options that aren't too expensive that might perform better I would love to hear everyone's input!

I have recently bought the Altair, and whilst it is a fantastic instrument, it wouldn't be ideal for someone who is interested in doubles or planets. I think you'd want something better able to deliver higher magnification.

I'm not a refractor owner so can't comment on those but if you're looking at the 150P, the PL version would suit planetary/lunar/doubles better. You'd sacrifice some maximum field-of-view, so a bit less "all-rounder" but it would be better at higher powers. If you're happy with a dobsonian mounting, the PL version tube is what comes on the 150 size. There are also the Messier and StellaLyra equivalents, both dobsonian.

Edited by wulfrun
wording

1 hour ago, JBadger said:

I have recently bought the Altair, and whilst it is a fantastic instrument, it wouldn't be ideal for someone who is interested in doubles or planets. I think you'd want something better able to deliver higher magnification.

I have a great time observing doubles & planets with mine. Seeing conditions dependent, the telescope can manage over 200x. Again with decent seeing 180x with a decent 4mm eyepiece on planets is a joy with Saturn's atmospheric banding visible. Jupiter's GRS, festoons and barges are observable. The colour of double stars is well presented. Only the hardest splits and fainter doubles are troubling, however some of that difficulty can be attributed to the poor skies I live with.

Agreed a 4" f7 telescope isn't 'ideal' for planetary observing however it is a managable, easy to mount all rounder for the price.

@Sullivan1 before choosing any telescope, please think about and/or ask for mounting advice. Do you already own a mount? The mount is often an after thought and besides weight considerations, ease of storage and handling, the price of the kit can suddenly double or triple!

Also you need to manage expectations. There is a thread here with just that in mind.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/#comment-2060941

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Link

28 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I have a great time observing doubles & planets with mine. Seeing conditions dependent, the telescope can manage over 200x. Again with decent seeing 180x with a decent 4mm eyepiece on planets is a joy with Saturn's atmospheric banding visible. Jupiter's GRS, festoons and barges are observable. The colour of double stars is well presented. Only the hardest splits and fainter doubles are troubling, however some of that difficulty can be attributed to the poor skies I live with.

Agreed a 4" f7 telescope isn't 'ideal' for planetary observing however it is a managable, easy to mount all rounder for the price.

@Sullivan1 before choosing any telescope, please think about and/or ask for mounting advice. Do you already own a mount? The mount is often an after thought and besides weight considerations, ease of storage and handling, the price of the kit can suddenly double or triple!

Also you need to manage expectations. There is a thread here with just that in mind.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/#comment-2060941

I don't disagree, but I see that like me you also have a Mak. If you didn't, do you think you would probably prefer the F11 version over the F7? I think I probably would.

15 minutes ago, JBadger said:

I don't disagree, but I see that like me you also have a Mak. If you didn't, do you think you would probably prefer the F11 version over the F7? I think I probably would.

Tbh I am selling the Mak at some point. It has been kept as a travel scope but most of the time while camping I end up staying with binoculars. The refractor kicks the Mak into touch on planets, lunar and everything else.

However I concede a much higher focal ratio instrument is better generally for high magnification observing, but at these smaller apertures, with their well engineered focusers, excellent cool down times and decent objective glass these f7-ish ED and apo refractors cover all bases.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

thanks for your feedback its much appreciated. And at the moment I don't have a mount but of course which one I choose entirely depends on the scope that I decide on for length/weight that the mount will need to bare.

I would like a refractor partly due to how user friendly they can be - and 4" refractors are a bit more grab and go, whereas a 6" reflector such as the skywatcher explorer 150PL seems harder to store and mount. - though I'm also conscious of the aperture benefit of something like that

Thanks for sending the link to that thread, very helpful!

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 12:10, Sullivan1 said:

I'm most interested in the planets, the moon and double stars, though would definitely like the ability to explore other things,

A Maksutov telescope would do all this very well.  Maks are generally of excellent optical quality, compact and in most cases never require collimation.  I have one and still use it regularly despite having a larger telescope.  I bought a Startravel 102mm achro to complement it for widefield, but found that I was using the Mak far more.   Buying one telescope (or mount)  in hopes that it will do everything is a futile endeavour.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1