Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I took the IRcut filter out of my T7c - did I make a newbie mistake?

Before I took the filter out Jupiter was a white blob but with no stars visible. Now the sky is full of hundreds of multicoloured dots that looks like noise of some kind - yet plate solving seems to recognise stars (which I cannot see on the screen) when it didn't before. Unfortunately Jupiter wasn't visible (hidden by cloud) so couldn't try that.

I'm using Stellarmate OS on a RPi4 and EKOS for target tracking and T7c photography. 

a) Have I done good or messed it up the camera?

b) Should I screw an IRbypass filter on the nose to help reduce these dots?

c) Is it just the wrong camera settings?

d) Can I expect better results using a SV305 Pro?

Any help much appreciated.

7 hours ago, uk_friendly_fire said:

I read somewhere that Ircut filters reduce detail and image sharpness on gas giants and stars

I have been consistently told by my colleagues in my local society that IR/UV cut filter is essential to get clearer images for both planetary and DSO when using my camera (ASI224mc) as its highly sensitive to IR & UV. I have recently bought one but dont have any comparisons to show you as its been cloudy since 😞