SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What is the difference between luminance (L) filters and UVIR cut-out filters?

I am a complete newbie at planetary imaging and taking "pretty pictures", though I have been doing photometry and astrometry for years. So I know the basics of imaging and filter usage.

Recently I was given a OSC planetary imaging camera. The friendly manual suggested that it works best with a UVIR cut-out filter in place. One was not supplied;  neither do I own one. I do, however, have a LRGB filter set which is never used. As I understand it, the L filter removes infra-red and passes the visible. Is this correct? If so, in what way does it differ from the cut-out filter? Does it not remove the UV perhaps?

I could just suck it and see what happens, but an authoritative explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

These are quite a similar filters:

- L(uminance) or UV/IR cut filters just passes the visible part 400 to 700 nm

- IR cut filter only cuts part longer than 700nm and leaves UV part, however cameras sensitivity in UV part usually quickly decrease, so IR cut is a cheaper replacement for UV/IR cut filter

- sometimes UV/IR cut filters passes narrower part to even more tighten the transmission band and get rid of some remaining chromatic aberrations of the optics. Like for example Astronomik L1-L3 filters https://www.astronomik.com/en/uv-und-ir-block-filter/luminance-filter-l-1-l-2-l-3.html 

So you can use luminance filter as UV/IR cut. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, drjolo said:

These are quite a similar filters:

- L(uminance) or UV/IR cut filters just passes the visible part 400 to 700 nm

- IR cut filter only cuts part longer than 700nm and leaves UV part, however cameras sensitivity in UV part usually quickly decrease, so IR cut is a cheaper replacement for UV/IR cut filter

- sometimes UV/IR cut filters passes narrower part to even more tighten the transmission band and get rid of some remaining chromatic aberrations of the optics. Like for example Astronomik L1-L3 filters https://www.astronomik.com/en/uv-und-ir-block-filter/luminance-filter-l-1-l-2-l-3.html 

So you can use luminance filter as UV/IR cut. 

Many thanks.

I took unfiltered videos of Jupiter and epsilon Lyrae during the lengthy process of getting any recognizable images at all out of the camera. I can now proceed to learning how to drive it properly.

The star images showed very interesting scintillation patterns (it was a very unsteady night) at various exposure lengths. I want to experiment with super-resolution stellar imaging.