Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Really Really Really Fed Up !

Newforestgimp

I used to have a similar problem, it was the Ascom  diagnostic tool that should be on your desktop, have a look at that, look under tools and select telescope chooser using.net , you will find it is set on simulator use the drop down and change to Ioptron  Cem 60/40 GEM45  no need to click on properties as it is run by Ioptron commander which will then connect.

Hope this helps as i have spent months ripping my hair out over this 

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bruno said:

I used to have a similar problem, it was the Ascom  diagnostic tool that should be on your desktop, have a look at that, look under tools and select telescope chooser using.net , you will find it is set on simulator use the drop down and change to Ioptron  Cem 60/40 GEM45  no need to click on properties as it is run by Ioptron commander which will then connect.

Interesting, do I do this with mount connected and powered on or just set it now and it will remain for next time I connect to mount ?

I find that  i connect the cables the go into the ascom diagnostics program as it has to see the mount you might find that you have to redo it everytime  you run  your mount it doesn't seem to save it's just remembering to do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bruno said:

I find that  i connect the cables the go into the ascom diagnostics program as it has to see the mount you might find that you have to redo it everytime  you run  your mount it doesn't seem to save it's just remembering to do it.

I will definitely give this a try before the uninstall/resinstall merry go round, thanks.

Last night with a short window I thought I’d finally get the big rig focussed.

everything was left connected as before, the only change was to put a high quality cable (Lindy USB 3 hopefully @David_taurus83 will approve 😜 it was bloody expensive ! ) between laptop and hub, same usb socket used on laptop. Didn’t connect !!!

tried the ascom diagnostics, didn’t seem to do anything?

reinstall commander, connected.

The fix works, but I think it just needs a way of resetting everything as if commander is being used for the first time ?

I’ve just discovered that McAfee seems to think that “Ioptron commander port checker.exe” is a virus and quarantined it each time I’ve tried to connect to mount before reinstalling, do you think this could be why commander will only connect once directly after a fresh install ?

• Like 1

I just Googled "comm port issues with McAfee and there are a few old reports which seem to relate to Comm port problems. One involved the vendor writing a patch to fix the issue.

To prove its McAfee could it be temporarily uninstalled? Then see if everything works ok?

• Like 1

Kaspersky certainly messes with comms ports (and a lot of other things). First thing I do with any comms problem is switch off the virus checker and firewall, get stuff going, then switch them on and check if they are still running. I feel your pain, but I think there's a good chance you've found the cause.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I like handset-controlled mounts...

Olly

I would need very long arms as I am near Chester in the UK and the mount is in Castillejar Spain.

My experience is that you need kit designed for remote  operation and a person (Dave in my case) on hand to replug USB ports on the rare occasion  it's needed.

Regards Andrew 

PS or to switch on the PC again when you told it to shut down when you intended restart😫

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, andrew s said:

I would need very long arms as I am near Chester in the UK and the mount is in Castillejar Spain.

My experience is that you need kit designed for remote  operation and a person (Dave in my case) on hand to replug USB ports on the rare occasion  it's needed.

Regards Andrew 

PS or to switch on the PC again when you told it to shut down when you intended restart😫

I have the good fortune to know Dave and the less good fortune to be Dave to the six remote rigs I host! :D

Honesty compels me to say that I'm getting a bit old for all nighters beside the handsets so I'm now robotic on one rig as well. But (and this is a big 'but')  I have Paul doing the IT side of things!

😁lly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

I’ve just discovered that McAfee seems to think that “Ioptron commander port checker.exe” is a virus and quarantined it each time I’ve tried to connect to mount before reinstalling, do you think this could be why commander will only connect once directly after a fresh install ?

Yes, absolutely!

It should be possible to tell McAfee to allow Ioptron commander.

Why use McAfee anyway? The firewall + virus program that comes with windows is good enough...  My mount LapTop is dedicated for that purpose, so I have disabled firewall etc. on it. But then I have no private stuff (like e-mail etc.) on it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:
4 hours ago, Viktiste said:

Yes, absolutely!

It should be possible to tell McAfee to allow Ioptron commander.

Why use McAfee anyway? The firewall + virus program that comes with windows is good enough...  My mount LapTop is dedicated for that purpose, so I have disabled firewall etc. on it. But then I have no private stuff (like e-mail etc.) on it.

I think I’ve told mcafee to leave commander alone, fingers crossed 🤞 

1 minute ago, Newforestgimp said:

Cheers, last years project.

I’d never get away with a concrete or metal one, and I’ve got bit of an oak fetish, I think it will hold for a few years 😉

Is there any movement with the oak pier?...sorry just curious :)

Mark.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, callisto said:

Is there any movement with the oak pier?...sorry just curious :)

Mark.

It’s pretty solid, 6” sq solid green oak, I could barely lift it, it’s not like any old timber.

yes it will split as it ages but as it ages it will get tougher, the splits don’t impact on its strength.

it doubles as the worlds most over engineered bird table.35C63316-CFE4-4745-BA8E-F030AA08F80B.thumb.jpeg.5504cbdda116b6a46b0e787c8777d3a1.jpeg6FD8871E-68E2-4EBB-B4B1-E571BFE61B2A.thumb.jpeg.638390f8221d6997a6351d8abacfabfb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

It’s pretty solid, 6” sq solid green oak, I could barely lift it, it’s not like any old timber.

yes it will split as it ages but as it ages it will get tougher, the splits don’t impact on its strength.

it doubles as the worlds most over engineered bird table.35C63316-CFE4-4745-BA8E-F030AA08F80B.thumb.jpeg.5504cbdda116b6a46b0e787c8777d3a1.jpeg6FD8871E-68E2-4EBB-B4B1-E571BFE61B2A.thumb.jpeg.638390f8221d6997a6351d8abacfabfb.jpeg

I can see by your garden you like wood 😁...me too 😉

I've been thinking of doing something similar but haven't got round to it yet.

Mark.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, callisto said:

I can see by your garden you like wood 😁...me too 😉

I've been thinking of doing something similar but haven't got round to it yet.

Mark.

Do it,

all joking aside it gives it a second use as a bird table as the best place for it was smack bang in centre of garden & I didn’t want a random post stuck there.

4 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Do it,

all joking aside it gives it a second use as a bird table as the best place for it was smack bang in centre of garden & I didn’t want a random post stuck there.

Did you get your wood locally or delivered?

Mark :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It would be slight movement via warpage that I'd worry about with wood,. You don't find this?

It certainly looks better than concrete!

Olly

Buildings have stood for centuries on oak, I’m happy it will be ok for my telescope. But seriously if it should warp or go out of true the levelling plate will adjust to account for it.

I suppose it could split in middle of a session but I’ll live with that risk 👍

• Like 1