Narrowband

Really Really Really Fed Up !

Newforestgimp

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

If you polar align regularly then only warpage within a session would be a problem, it’s exposed and outside all the time so I can’t see rapid changes occurring.

Yeah it’s not a permanent telescope pier, I just got fed up with tripods, I do tend to leave it set for a few days.

I have markings on the plates to give me North so normally it’s a few little tweaks and I’m aligned again, then a quick check before the subsequent nights.

11 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Re-cables with Lindy Cromo cables and colour coded to use the same ports each time.

5ACB0ACE-B9F6-41EF-9D43-1D913936D68C.thumb.png.57d60316210269a1eab6242307e70e53.png

That looks great and really glad I saw this as it's EXACTLY what I want to do and have described to my wife. We have a covered BBQ area using similar 8" posts which gave me the thought initially but this just confirmed things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scotty38 said:

That looks great and really glad I saw this as it's EXACTLY what I want to do and have described to my wife. We have a covered BBQ area using similar 8" posts which gave me the thought initially but this just confirmed things.

Ah yes the covered area is next years project 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Ah yes the covered area is next years project 👍

The only difference for me is that I want to make it removable so my thought is to sink the base and have a plate at about ground level that will marry up to another plate fastened to the bottom of the post. The reason I quoted the above is because where I want the pier is on our patio (I call it a patio as that's easiest to visualise but reality is it's a yard in front of our old barns as we live in an old farmhouse). That being said it's the place where we have our family barbecues etc etc which are our big thing so my wife would like it to not be there at those times, hence the removable bit.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

The only difference for me is that I want to make it removable so my thought is to sink the base and have a plate at about ground level that will marry up to another plate fastened to the bottom of the post. The reason I quoted the above is because where I want the pier is on our patio (I call it a patio as that's easiest to visualise but reality is it's a yard in front of our old barns as we live in an old farmhouse). That being said it's the place where we have our family barbecues etc etc which are our big thing so my wife would like it to not be there at those times, hence the removable bit.....

The only thing I would say if it’s oak it’s really heavy I mean REALLY F’ing heavy (excuse my language) so removable would limit size, depending on strength. I could just about manage to manoeuvre (I couldn’t lift it other than bear hugging and standing straight, and kind of shuffling along) with much swearing.

but I like the idea.

3 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

The only thing I would say if it’s oak it’s really heavy I mean REALLY F’ing heavy (excuse my language) so removable would limit size, depending on strength. I could just about manage to manoeuvre (I couldn’t lift it other than bear hugging and standing straight, and kind of shuffling along) with much swearing.

but I like the idea.

Agreed but it's my best option. I actually have two 600mm offcuts of the 8" stuff so I know how heavy they are, mind you having said that they're lighter than the lengths holding the roof up 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Agreed but it's my best option. I actually have two 600mm offcuts of the 8" stuff so I know how heavy they are, mind you having said that they're lighter than the lengths holding the roof up 😂

200x200x600 is a nice solid block, will it be tall enough ?

mine is 150x150x1500 with about 2’ in concrete 

26 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Fit easily removeable casters to the base plate and have your pier position marked and expanding bolts drilled into the ground. Roll the pier to the location, remove the casters, bolt the pier in and Robert is your mothers brother.

11 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

200x200x600 is a nice solid block, will it be tall enough ?

mine is 150x150x1500 with about 2’ in concrete 

ha no, I was using that to show I know how heavy it is. Plan is for 1.2 to 1.4m tall so I need to buy an appropriate length. I aim to use one of the offcuts for the bit sunk into the ground though.

3 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Fit easily removeable casters to the base plate and have your pier position marked and expanding bolts drilled into the ground. Roll the pier to the location, remove the casters, bolt the pier in and Robert is your mothers brother.

I will sink a post in to the ground with, say a 12"x12" plate fastened to the top at groundish level and then at least 4 x 12 or 16mm holes drilled in it. The bottom of the actual pier will have a similar plate fastened to it so I just marry the plates up and fit the 12 or 16mm nuts and bolts and fasten them together. I can move it around on a sack truck if necessary and my wife can just hold it steady while I bolt/unbolt, shouldn't be too much of a big deal and I won't be moving it that often anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I will sink a post in to the ground with, say a 12"x12" plate fastened to the top at groundish level and then at least 4 x 12 or 16mm holes drilled in it. The bottom of the actual pier will have a similar plate fastened to it so I just marry the plates up and fit the 12 or 16mm nuts and bolts and fasten them together. I can move it around on a sack truck if necessary and my wife can just hold it steady while I bolt/unbolt, shouldn't be too much of a big deal and I won't be moving it that often anyway.

What about post shoes?  https://www.edecks.co.uk/products/12720/43/145/0/bolt-down-anchor-(200mm-x-200mm)

1 minute ago, callisto said:

Thanks I had considered something like that but the yard is not massively level anyway and leaving that in place, or even just the bolts would be a trip hazard. By digging out I can make sure what I sink is level enough to start with and I will leave an inch or two space around the edge to give me wiggle room to get my fingers under the plate to bolt it up. Yeah a pair of stilletos will find the gap but we don't get those round here, much too grubby and rural lol. In fact in the middle of the yard is a cast drain cover with 1" slots anyway, health and safety be damned.... To be fair it's the dogs you have to worry about 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Perfecto !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scotty38 said:

Thanks I had considered something like that but the yard is not massively level anyway and leaving that in place, or even just the bolts would be a trip hazard. By digging out I can make sure what I sink is level enough to start with and I will leave an inch or two space around the edge to give me wiggle room to get my fingers under the plate to bolt it up. Yeah a pair of stilletos will find the gap but we don't get those round here, much too grubby and rural lol. In fact in the middle of the yard is a cast drain cover with 1" slots anyway, health and safety be damned.... To be fair it's the dogs you have to worry about 😂

Yeah, very true...I would probs trip over and end up in A&E  😂

• Haha 2