NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Hard to believe that I witnessed that in my own back yard. Always thought I would need to go Iceland to see them. The moon also looked good tonight bless it. 

• Like 4

Waited nearly 20yrs since the last (and only) time I’d had a good view. Phew! Hope we get another one a bit earlier I the evening in the darker nights of autumn for the youngest to have a look.

peter

• Like 3

Saw strong shafts of light here in Bedfordshire, and hints of colour. Unfortunately all my pants tablet has recorded is sensor noise! And I saw the best meteor I've ever seen! Towards the east. What a night! And the sun wasn't too bad this morning either.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Had good strong auroral activity from 11.04pm to 12.10am when it started to die down.  Still less strong activity when I came indoors at 1.20am.  Below are some of many pictures taken on night mode with my mobile phone, hand held.  

20240510_232226.thumb.jpg.0f89238a0530556c05c445433f470219.jpg

20240510_232808.thumb.jpg.c597be6b2caa595035c1369a6abc9d23.jpg

20240510_234513.thumb.jpg.cb94cb99bd8818c8c304e026cacf03a5.jpg

20240510_232835.thumb.jpg.b54b27c80ee0e277ed18f7bee7a528e3.jpg

20240510_233338.thumb.jpg.112df64bf7aef14ecdcc3ccbf7412218.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, lunator said:

That is  the Aurora 😁

I had the same feeling as I saw the sky slowly 'mist over' from the north. It suddenly clicked what it was.

It is quite astonishing to see this. I took a pic of Spica being obscured by the Aurora. 😁😁

Yeah thank god I realised. Imagine if I’d have gone to bed with the hump. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

I'm green with envy

We would all have took your picture if you were here... Green and red were the colours of choice last night😀

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

We would all have took your picture if you were here... Green and red were the colours of coffee last night😀

Now you are just rubbing it in Stu 😊✌️

Enjoy guys, I may just have to come up there to the antipodes😀

• Like 2

Wow, I've always wanted to see aurora. There is actually a slim 8% chance of seeing aurora australis tonight, despite my latitude of -32°. This speaks volumes of the awesome power of this current solar storm triggered by the monster AR 3664!

• Like 1

Wow… what a night. Or was it morning? I ended up staying up all night… M13, the ring nebula and for the first time this year the dumbbell, ISS transit, the brightest shooting star I’ve seen in a long while - I think it might have been the same as @LukeTheNukesaw, travelled approximately east to west. Just a lot of time simply looking up added by a couple of small glasses of brandy. I’d run out of whisky :( And that damn “light pollution”. Pictures taken as I was packing up at about 3:50am. The images of The Plough taken about 30 seconds apart on my phone. 

IMG_2957.thumb.jpeg.913ce7b6e873050f7a47159869205361.jpeg

IMG_2912.thumb.jpeg.e66f4bd6a0ae3a0ea04bd343d9091dae.jpeg

IMG_2952.thumb.jpeg.eee7b51d6d6619e18e539ac1908f1208.jpeg

IMG_2953.thumb.jpeg.c1c30275af261332d609897e95b1c780.jpeg

• Like 17

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Wow… what a night. Or was it morning? I ended up staying up all night… M13, the ring nebula and for the first time this year the dumbbell, ISS transit, the brightest shooting star I’ve seen in a long while - I think it might have been the same as @LukeTheNukesaw, travelled approximately east to west. Just a lot of time simply looking up added by a couple of small glasses of brandy. I’d run out of whisky :( And that damn “light pollution”. Pictures taken as I was packing up at about 3:50am. The images of The Plough taken about 30 seconds apart on my phone. 

Lovely pics! I regret that I didn't check again later in the night. I thought I checked the aurora alert site and it looked over and done earlier in the night (well, morning), but my bad. D'oh, I was awake for a while, as well!

The shooting star I saw was travelling west to east, starting very much in the east, and burning out towards the eastern horizon. My wife and son also caught the end of it, which was ace. I think I caught most of it. It was amazing, multiple burning fragments, a real, sparkling firework! How funny that it happened the same night. Or maybe I just don't look up enough  😀

Damn, when this hobby is good, gosh. It takes your breath away. I've been enjoying the sunspots again this morning. Thin cloud here, which is a shame, as I couldn't see the big prom making a break for it. Still, a bonus to see that amazing active region again. Thanks everyone for posting your pretty pictures, they all look amazing! I've just got blooming sensor noise. #shouldhaveboughtanexpensiveappleorsimilarandnotacheapytabletandmycheapphonedoesntevenhaveacameralol

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, LukeTheNuke said:

Lovely pics! I regret that I didn't check again later in the night. I thought I checked the aurora alert site and it looked over and done earlier in the night (well, morning), but my bad. D'oh, I was awake for a while, as well!

The shooting star I saw was travelling west to east, starting very much in the east, and burning out towards the eastern horizon. My wife and son also caught the end of it, which was ace. I think I caught most of it. It was amazing, multiple burning fragments, a real, sparkling firework! How funny that it happened the same night. Or maybe I just don't look up enough  😀

Damn, when this hobby is good, gosh. It takes your breath away. I've been enjoying the sunspots again this morning. Thin cloud here, which is a shame, as I couldn't see the big prom making a break for it. Still, a bonus to see that amazing active region again. Thanks everyone for posting your pretty pictures, they all look amazing! I've just got blooming sensor noise. #shouldhaveboughtanexpensiveappleorsimilarandnotacheapytabletandmycheapphonedoesntevenhaveacameralol

Thanks! As you say “Damn, when this hobby is good, gosh”. And another example of how being patient and not being too frustrated with the weather pays off. It’s been so cloudy recently - we were really lucky to get this on a cloudless night. 

The fireball I saw sounds similar to your description but mine was going the complete opposite direction! So could not have been the same.

• Like 2

…. Knew I shouldn’t have quit to bed at 12:30… should know by now with this hobby… keep going till the sun comes up!

Was the early morning ones as good as the 2330 ones?

Peter

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

…. Knew I shouldn’t have quit to bed at 12:30… should know by now with this hobby… keep going till the sun comes up!

Peter

I should be exhausted, but very much buzzing!

I wouldn’t say that the morning ones were quite as good. However, some were while I was at the eyepiece. Taking a break and looking up I could see the beams plus some colour directly overhead. I was facing south so it was decent!

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Peter

And for some of us, keep going when the sun comes up!!! 😁 Those spots look fab, and the big prom has made a break for it this morning. I was robbed of a view of the prom thanks to thin cloud, but I caught the remnants ten minutes ago visual only (pic below is from Gong), which are still quite considerable. Not with my camera, alas (five o'clock position, going, going, ...):

spacer.png

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, LukeTheNuke said:

And for some of us, keep going when the sun comes up!!! 😁 Those spots look fab, and the big prom has made a break for it this morning. I was robbed of a view of the prom thanks to thin cloud, but I caught the remnants ten minutes ago, which are still quite considerable. Not with my camera, alas (five o'clock position, going, going, ...):

spacer.png

Fab image!

But in my defence I was out with the Dob  yesterday during the day when I took this with my phone 😀

IMG_3001.jpeg.73af66beefb8efbc8359cc6639188ec0.jpeg

• Like 7