NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Set up the starwave 70 on a GTi mount and away i went ... passing clouds did nothing to spoil my views last night. Saturn was reasonably close to the moon which was hidden (fortunately) behind a house . I used my 8-24 svbony , and a televue 2x powermate which , so in effect a 4mm giving around 105 x mag . Observed a few doubles and was outside for about 2 hours . A really nice session although as soon as the moon appeared only the brightest stars were viewable . Just happy to get some time outside . 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

You might want to upload that as a jpg or similar if you want it to be seen. I had to Google what a .heic file was!

We can say that you did not know what the heic it was...?

Sorry, I won't do that again, I promise... :icon_arrow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I decided to use the supermoon to test an old DMK41 camera versus my ASI178 but could not synch well with the times the moon was clear enough. With some haze this was the best I could get at the time, quite a lot of post processing.  The DMK41 still worked well on Sharpcap but the conditions did not allow a good comparison, only managed to grab a couple of videos. Then just a quick video on the ASI178 before it was too clouded over.

Manual AZ mount with SW Evolux 62 & ASI178MM

moon3.thumb.png.409274cf05e29528241d936d7c322a55.png

And as this was captured this is the view I got of it next

moonview.thumb.JPG.35a279bd6a56a8f95a482e7633c9b959.JPG

After I packed up another clearer patch came along, doh!

• Like 7

Out again at 0400 to attempt to see the GRS on Jupiter.

The seeing was brilliant and I'm pretty sure that I got it (only taken me a year).  Slightly off centre just after 0400.  I had a decent look, the viewing only hampered by using the arm of a garden chair instead of my astronomy chair.

The contrast was not great as I had no filters at all and it was bright enough to really need either the VPF or a contrast booster.

Tried the Morpheus 17.5 in my BST Barlow and it was really quite nice.  Dont think it will have much utility for me on planets though.  I get some wild reflections which detract.  I get this with the star guider eyepieces and Barlow too.  I'm coming to the conclusion that it's the combination of the Barlow and my eyeball that's the issue.

Still will be good for DSO.

Tried to grab a video through the eyepiece using the msm phone holder but didn't have the time to play about with the settings.  I did use the moon to line everything up and after a quick process I'm quite happy.

20230902_041959~2.jpg

20230902_042027~2.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

Out again at 0400 to attempt to see the GRS on Jupiter.

The seeing was brilliant and I'm pretty sure that I got it (only taken me a year).  Slightly off centre just after 0400.  I had a decent look, the viewing only hampered by using the arm of a garden chair instead of my astronomy chair.

The contrast was not great as I had no filters at all and it was bright enough to really need either the VPF or a contrast booster.

Tried the Morpheus 17.5 in my BST Barlow and it was really quite nice.  Dont think it will have much utility for me on planets though.  I get some wild reflections which detract.  I get this with the star guider eyepieces and Barlow too.  I'm coming to the conclusion that it's the combination of the Barlow and my eyeball that's the issue.

Still will be good for DSO.

Tried to grab a video through the eyepiece using the msm phone holder but didn't have the time to play about with the settings.  I did use the moon to line everything up and after a quick process I'm quite happy.

20230902_041959~2.jpg

20230902_042027~2.jpg

Great report. I too was out around 2am to start with to let the 90mm mak cool and perform alignment with my AzGti. Then clouds rolled in. I thought I'd wait it out as it wasn't a school night (because when it clouds over I usually pack up and go home) but this time I stayed and was rewarded around 3.30 am with breaks in the cloud leading to nice clear skies. So got a few captures of Jupiter with my asi120mc-s and x2 Barlow, Saturn was to low by this time and in the murk. The seeing was a bit wobbly and the stars were twinkling well previously but settled by 4am. Onto the moon for a few more close up captures of the terminator. 

The battery on the laptop was dying by now so popped the 32mm eyepiece in an stared at the moon jaw dropping. Then to Jupiter looking really sharp with the bands and just making out the grs. I noticed Orion was well risen above the horizon tried for M42 but the moon washing most of it out but trapezium nicely in view. 

After weeks of cloud and no opportunity was pleased to be out looking at anything skywards that wasn't clouds. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Great report. I too was out around 2am to start with to let the 90mm mak cool and perform alignment with my AzGti. Then clouds rolled in. I thought I'd wait it out as it wasn't a school night (because when it clouds over I usually pack up and go home) but this time I stayed and was rewarded around 3.30 am with breaks in the cloud leading to nice clear skies. So got a few captures with my asi120mc-s and x2 Barlow, Saturn was to low by this time and in the murk. The seeing was a bit wobbly and the stars were twinkling well previously and settled by 4am. Onto the moon for a few more close up captures of the terminator. 

The battery on the laptop was dying by now so popped the 32mm eyepiece in an stared at the moon jaw dropping. Then to Jupiter looking really sharp with the bands and just making out the grs. I noticed Orion was well risen above the horizon tried for M42 but the moon washing most of it out but trapezium nicely in view. 

After weeks of cloud and no opportunity was pleased to be out looking at anything skywards that wasn't clouds. 

Lee 

Cracking.  Would be interested in seeing how the 120mcs did for imaging.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Cracking.  Would be interested in seeing how the 120mcs did for imaging.

I have to go through this mornings captures but I have a few on the planetary imaging section from previous attempts. It really does a good job, though obviously better planetary cameras do a great job much better. 

Here's a couple of previous ones. Jupiter no Barlow. Saturn x2 Barlow. 

Lee 

Jupiter-and-moons-17-8-23.jpg

BD80C2E081AE4BCE8A942DB77FB427ED.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 7

Yep- go! go! go! We have a clear sky!

It's not quite dark yet, I've already had the blue beauty of Vega and a nice split of the double double in the eyepiece. The weather's warm, the beer is cold, no work tomorrow, and suddenly this is the best hobby in the world again 😃😃😃

Edited by Whistlin Bob
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Put the Barlow element on the front of the diagonal to get x2.28 and x162 with the 5mm. Lovely and sharp at that. So far in addition to Mizar, I have Izar, α Her and ε Lyr all clean split. There is some high cloud now though just making things a bit misty. I'll have half an hour break then go out again.

I have discovered an old 2" (cheap) diagonal comes to focus (barely) with the 30mm UFF to give me a 6° finder. The diagonal does stick 5mm out of the Baader click lock though and won't go in any farther. So tomorrow I'm going to cut the end off... :biggrin: The 60mm Tak is a pain for limited focuser travel 😡

Just been looking at Saturn through my 60mm with WO binoviewers. Able to merge the images, just, with 9mm X-Cel eyepieces + 2.5x Powermate for 100x. Skies not the best with thin high level cloud. Couldn't quite make out the rings passing in front of the planet. Titan easily seen, and Rhea on the other side of Saturn.

Saturn just never ceases to amaze me, year after year after year.

• Like 4

Got the dob out for the first time in probably 9 months, bit of high cloud and the transparency not the greatest but a pleasant hour or so getting my eye in again before the big boy clouds turned up. Albireo starter for fun, double-double, M13 (no real resolution due to haze but still nice to see again), M57 and a lovely Izar split. Good to get back in the game. I want Neptune next week 😎

• Like 5

4 inch Vixen ED out currently under a sky which could be more transparent (quite a lot more !) but the seeing is steady at least.

I've just been watching Europa slip behind Jupiter while the Great Red Spot is making it's way across the giant planet's disk from the other direction.

Jupiter is about to be occulted by a tall conifer so I will switch my attention to Saturn I think 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 8

Clear for once! Had the SD81S out today with the Quark and Lunt wedge for a bit of solar and then left out to cool. Clear but some high, hazy cloud and the Moon rising in the east so no chance on the Veil but M57, M27, M56, M39, M29, double-double, Albireo. Saturn and the Moon very sharp and crisp in the SSW5 and SSW3.5. Jupiter still a bit low so will try later if still clear. 

• Like 10

Sounds like we've all had similar experiences: transparency had been pretty poor all evening with clouds gradually thickening. But it didn't matter, I had the big dob out for the first time since early July. M13 was ok, The Wild Duck Cluster (one of the odder astro names in my book) was really good, despite the murk. I've not seen it in ages, so it was great too sit and watch it twinkle. Then moved onto Saturn. My first view this year, and wow, those rings have flattened! Played spot the moon at 200x, and I got Dione, Titan, Phoebe, Hyperion and Rhea, which was really pleasing. 4mm (400x) was a bit much for tonight's seeing, so I backed off to 264x with the binoviewers and put a 160mm mask on, and this was the highlight of the night. I'm not sure how many times I watched it float across the fov, but it was lots! Some detail on the disk, and really good views of the Cassini division. Mesmerising 😀

Finished with a nice wander up and down the lunar terminator. 

• Like 10

Last night was my first look at Saturn this year too, same impression - much flatter than last time. Otherwise, a bunch of classics: Ring nebula, double double, Hercules cluster. I also had a nose around in Ophiuchus, because it was a well placed patch of sky.  Some nice clusters, and a bright planetary: NGC6572, small but definitely non-stellar and a first for me.

• Like 8

Put the 60mm out. Now I have my spacing sorted I couldn't resist a peek. Found Arcturus with the 42mm LVW, x9 and 7.7° fov. Then closed in with the 2.5mm TOE; at x142 I have a perfect airy disc - looks like a little moon :biggrin:

• Like 2

Here in my part of Cambridgeshire, the seeing is amazing. I have my 6" APM ED pointing vertically at Lyra and using the Svbony  3-8 zoom for the first time. Clicking down the stops from 8mm , the images of Epsilon Lyrae just got better and better until at 3mm and 400x I have 4 little orbs staring back at me with one perhaps a couple of diffraction rings, and a thick black tramline between them. I haven't bothered with the tracking yet as I didn't expect to be out until tomorrow evening, so it could be easier, but  so far I am very impressed with this little zoom for high power.

• Like 6