NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEW StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet Refractor

FLO

16 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

How was it ? 

I’ve had a run of unfortunate circumstances. Apart from just a couple of hours to set up and test the FF spacing when I first bought it, I’ve not been able to get out with mine again. Hopefully this will change in 2 weeks time, looking forward to actually using it. 🙂

Really happy with it. Nice and sharp and everything is so smooth and well fitting. It's just the rotators that are a little bit of a let down. I moved the camera today doing some cable management and had to reframe tonight on the same target as last night. Nina told me I was 10° out, markings on the rotator would have made it one movement instead of trial and error. Apart from that nothing bad to say. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Apart from that nothing bad to say

As a 'promoter' of the SM90 I'm glad you like it.

Personally I don't find the two rotators an issue. Apart from set up I only use the end one. You can use the 'notches' on the focuser to approximately measure the angle to move. There are 14 of them which equates to about 25 degrees per notch.

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

As a 'promoter' of the SM90 I'm glad you like it.

Personally I don't find the two rotators an issue. Apart from set up I only use the end one. You can use the 'notches' on the focuser to approximately measure the angle to move. There are 14 of them which equates to about 25 degrees per notch.

I've locked the upper rotator but I do think it's a shame that a graduated scale was missing from the lower ring, If knew anything about 3d printing and had a printer I'd have a go at making a ring to slide on. 

10 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Don't ask me. 2D printing is a struggle for me🤣

Wish I had the time to get into it.

Something else with the scope, I wish they'd made the handle the same length as the sharpstar or william optics guide rail. I really want to put one between my dual rig setup but seems whatever one I find it means dumping the stock handle/rail, which seems such a shame. Be nice to get the guide scope closer to the centre of rotation. 

IMG_20220919_125744.thumb.jpg.55e9bc5499bd26ea7632c9db6e38bff6.jpg

20 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Really happy with it. Nice and sharp and everything is so smooth and well fitting. It's just the rotators that are a little bit of a let down. I moved the camera today doing some cable management and had to reframe tonight on the same target as last night. Nina told me I was 10° out, markings on the rotator would have made it one movement instead of trial and error. Apart from that nothing bad to say. 

Brilliant ! I am inclined to agree, haven't used mine properly yet, but the build quality seems really good.

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Be nice to get the guide scope closer to the centre of rotation. 

Can I ask why?

On a separate point, have you mounted both on an heq5? I had a similar dual rig on an AZ-EQ6 and it was on the weight limit. Admittedly I had a hefty bar, two dual saddles including an alignment one plus a mini PC and powerbox. Still looks like a lot though.

3 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Can I ask why?

On a separate point, have you mounted both on an heq5? I had a similar dual rig on an AZ-EQ6 and it was on the weight limit. Admittedly I had a hefty bar, two dual saddles including an alignment one plus a mini PC and powerbox. Still looks like a lot though.

Well, it's more that it'll sit better when the cover is on . It stays outside all year. 

It balances really well and guiding has been spot on. For 3 years I've had it with an st80 as a guide scope, just swapped that for the sm90 and now I'll use the ed80 for lunar. 

I think I'm probably right on the limit but it's working. 

Just deciding if a new mount or mono set up is my next purchase. 

Thinking 533 with narrowband or a cem70/eq8. Probably the 533 first. 

• 3 weeks later...

Upon discovering that my Sesto Senso requires a rather expensive adapter to fit my new SM90, I've decided to just replace it with a ZWO EAF.  I notice at least a couple on here have installed one... can someone advise which screws you used to fix the bracket with?  I don't want to touch any that effect the tension of the focusser.

Edited by scitmon

7 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Here you goIMG_20221011_112542.thumb.jpg.4e4ca9c55154f536c38a576da8114981.jpg

Thank you.  I'm presuming that 1) the draw tube friction adjustment screw you've replaced is not needed to hold it in position? and 2) you don't remove the grub screw on the right one, just used the remaining thread above it?

35 minutes ago, scitmon said:

Thank you.  I'm presuming that 1) the draw tube friction adjustment screw you've replaced is not needed to hold it in position? and 2) you don't remove the grub screw on the right one, just used the remaining thread above it?

You need to remove one grub screw to get to the grub screw that holds the course adjustment knob on, but that's the only one. 

• 4 weeks later...

First light with my new SM 90 using the 0.8 reducer, Antlia 5nm filter and Hypercam 26C camera, I still have to tweak both my back focus and camera tilt  but very happy with my first results.

40X5 minute subs

North American and Pelican nebula's .jpg

Edited by Gary Clayton
  • Like 11

Elephant Trunk nebula in the HOO palette 30x5 minutes subs, so just 2.5 hours total integration time.
Drizzled in Astro Pixel Processor then finished in PixInsight
StellaMira 90 with 0.8 reducer/flattener
Antlia golden dual band 5nm filter
Altair Astro Hypercam 26C Camera
Ioptron CEM40G equatorial mount

Elephant_Trunk_nebula.jpg

• Like 4

Here is my resulting image from first night out with this scope:

final_web.thumb.jpg.92acb1b2b307a06ae340858fd984288d.jpg

Considering it was a night of trouble shooting with new equipment, and what I think was poor seeing with intermittent cloud coverage, I'm very pleased with the outcome.  Looking forward to getting some more integration time on some targets this season.

Oh and a big shoutout to the deepskydad flats panel for this scope, made flats so much easier with my L-extreme filter

Edited by scitmon
  • Like 5

At last, I can contribute something 🙂. Here's my first image using the SM90 from last night. I'm still learning the ropes with processing so it's not an expert effort by any means, but I was pleased to pick up some dust !

I'm really enjoying using the SM90 so far, I bought it because I couldn't afford a SW Esprit 100 but I am pleased I went for this, the build quality is lovely. 

SM90 + ZWO ASI 2600MC

35x 120secs stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop.

horsehead-nebula.thumb.jpg.c930b4e8f2c93f30ff34972006ef4128.jpg

• Like 14

NGC 6888 in the HOO palette, it's just 1 hour 10 minutes total exposure time thanks to the British weather ☹️

Drizzled in Astro Pixel Processor then finished in PixInsight

StellaMira 90 with 0.8 reducer/flattener

Antlia golden dual band 5nm filter

Altair Astro Hypercam 26C Camera

Ioptron CEM40G equatorial mount

NGC6888.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be having issues with elongated stars using an APS-C size sensor with this scope and it's 0.8 reducer, I have run the aberration inspector in NINA and tweaked my sensors tilt as best I could, even ASTAP says that I am down to 4%  yet it seems to me that I am to close in one corner and two far away in the others or am I expecting to much?.

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (7).png

tilt.jpg