NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEW StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet Refractor

FLO

Just now, Gary Clayton said:

Its odd that your having issues with Hocus Focus as I am still using it (latest update) with no issues, how dark was it when you tried?, as that's the only time I have had it fail so I wait until after midnight.

Waited until after midnight to check it was dark enough, As soon as I switched everything but hocus focus star detection off I got a good V curve and all sorted. And after thinking about it, it did start playing up after the last HF update a few weeks ago, had no updates since. 

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Ah ok, I was under the impression that reflection nebula were more of a broadband target and a dualband blocks a lot of it completely. Only had a dual narrowband filter less that a week so I might be talking out of my....... 

Yes there is some reflection nebula at the centre of NGC6914 but it is surrounded with a strong HA signal.

• Like 1

I managed to get a couple of hours last night on IC1396 though the twilight, 25 x 5 minutes subs at the SM90's native focal length.

Processed using the Foraxx palette and resampled to reduce the noise

Antlia golden dual band 5nm filter
Altair Astro Hypercam 26C Camera
Ioptron CEM40G equatorial mount

IC1396-S.jpg

• Like 7

All the bits to dial in my backfocus are in my possession now. My backfocus with my SM90 0.8 reducer to my 294mc via my ZWO filter drawer and a 16.5mm extension was exactly 55mm but NINA image inspector said it needed reducing. I've dropped in a 15mm extension tube in place of the 16.5mm and will go from there when the clouds clear. But while I'm waiting. Do these NINA numbers give any indication how out my back focus is? 

sensor1.jpg.adcb77b0e8f060a3b4851a1405dd84a2.jpg

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

All the bits to dial in my backfocus are in my possession now. My backfocus with my SM90 0.8 reducer to my 294mc via my ZWO filter drawer and a 16.5mm extension was exactly 55mm but NINA image inspector said it needed reducing. I've dropped in a 15mm extension tube in place of the 16.5mm and will go from there when the clouds clear. But while I'm waiting. Do these NINA numbers give any indication how out my back focus is? 

sensor1.jpg.adcb77b0e8f060a3b4851a1405dd84a2.jpg

Try to get the curvature radius as large as possible, using the 1:1 flattener I got mine over 1500mm

Screenshot (32).png

Edited by Gary Clayton
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gary Clayton said:

Try to get the curvature radius as large as possible, using the 1:1 flattener I got mine over 1500mm

Screenshot (32).png

Ah, and you have the correct focus step size in the image too, I'll plug that in next time I run that inspector. . Looks like I've got clouds for days now. 

14 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Unexpected clear skies. Think my back focus is sorted or is there still room for improvement? 

Do NINA and ASTAP agree? I don't really know how to read this. 

sensor3.jpg.095762d1505742a1b102f9e96a79184b.jpgastap1.thumb.jpg.72e9ea7bfbcec1c1d6987efdeb8ab190.jpg

Back focus is bang on, just some minor tilt to tweak out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NGC6888 and the Soap Bubble nebula, 50 x 5 minute subs with an 5nm HA/OIII OSC filter and first light with my new Altair Hypercam 26MM, shame it's having to go back to Altair for cleaning.

SM90 at it's native focal length with the 1:1 flattener.

ngc6888.jpg

Edited by Gary Clayton
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Gary Clayton said:

NGC6888 and the Soap Bubble nebula, 50 x 5 minute subs with an 5nm HA/OIII OSC filter and first light with my new Altair Hypercam 26MM, shame it's having to go back to Altair for cleaning.

SM90 at it's native focal length with the 1:1 flattener.

ngc6888.jpg

Can barely see the Bubble in my effort a few posts up. I do like the data I'm getting with the dualband filter but my ability to process it is really letting it down. 

I can only suggest that you keep trying, there are loads of tutorials on YouTube for processing narrow band data with an OSC, using both the HOO and Foraxx palettes. It tuck me a while and now I will have to start over again with mono imaging.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2023 at 16:36, Gary Clayton said:

I can only suggest that you keep trying, there are loads of tutorials on YouTube for processing narrow band data with an OSC, using both the HOO and Foraxx palettes. It tuck me a while and now I will have to start over again with mono imaging.

Had a play with PaulyAstros tutorials and came up with this. But definitely going to take some re-learning.

CygnusWallForaxx.thumb.jpg.c167f1e04e40df011f3bb1494d59d6cb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally i was able to collect some new photons during 3 nights.
I think this is my final version in SHO-RGB.
Criticism is of course welcome. I haven't edited any data for so long that I somehow forgot everything 😆

Telescope: FLO Stellamira 90 with 0.8 reducer
 Camera: QHY294M
 Filter: Antlia EDGE 4.5nm SHO / Anlita RGB
 Mount: Ioptron CEM40
 Guiding: Askar OAG with QHY 5II462C
 Software: Indi/Ekos, APP, GraXpert, SIRIL, Affinity Photo

Recording dates: Total 16h
 61 x Ha 300"
 63 x OIII 300"
 53 x SII 300"
 50xR30"
 50 x G 30"
 50 x W 30"

https://astrob.in/vf5x3o/0/

Sh2-184_Pacman_V2.jpg

• Like 2

Out if interest, which sized filters is everyone using with this scope and for which camera?

Very much debating on 36mm or 2".....very conflicting info on this topic!

Regards,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny_H

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Out if interest, which sized filters is everyone using with this scope and for which camera?

Very much debating on 36mm or 2".....very conflicting info on this topic!

Regards,

Jonny

With my APS-C sensor I am using 36mm unmounted filters with on issues at all.

30 minutes ago, Gary Clayton said:

With my APS-C sensor I am using 36mm unmounted filters with on issues at all.

Thanks Gary.

I plan to use a 2600MM with the SM 90ED.  Do you use the same camera?

Regards,

Jonny