Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil nebula after 9 hrs

Mike73

This is my second image since I started in the summer, well to be honest its more like the fourth object I've attempted but had some problems with my camera which lasted nearly 2 months and also made a ton of rookie errors along the way so I'm classing this as my second 'finished' image.

I kinda like it, in fact I'm really happy with it but I'm now at the point of deciding how far I want to take it? I'm in no rush to move on to another target but at the same time I dont want waste precious clear nights for small returns on it.

So basically if I want to pick out the finer nebula behind Pickerings triangle should I just keep going?

Any constructive criticism welcome.

5 1/2 hrs of Ha

3 1/2 hrs of Oiii

Equipment used in my signature.

veil4.thumb.jpg.f905cd0c8d2384e5c99c90ffe10cdad0.jpg

• Like 32

7 hours ago, Mike73 said:

This is my second image since I started in the summer, well to be honest its more like the fourth object I've attempted but had some problems with my camera which lasted nearly 2 months and also made a ton of rookie errors along the way so I'm classing this as my second 'finished' image.

I kinda like it, in fact I'm really happy with it but I'm now at the point of deciding how far I want to take it? I'm in no rush to move on to another target but at the same time I dont want waste precious clear nights for small returns on it.

So basically if I want to pick out the finer nebula behind Pickerings triangle should I just keep going?

Any constructive criticism welcome.

5 1/2 hrs of Ha

3 1/2 hrs of Oiii

Equipment used in my signature.

veil4.thumb.jpg.f905cd0c8d2384e5c99c90ffe10cdad0.jpg

@Mike73 Really nice image there mate. I had 4hrs on this the other night but for some reason the Eastern Veil completely blew out around the edges, couldn't fix it in PI for love nor money so I binned it (Meaning 'in the bin' not 1,2 or 3xbin 😂)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nephilim said:

@Mike73 Really nice image there mate. I had 4hrs on this the other night but for some reason the Eastern Veil completely blew out around the edges, couldn't fix it in PI for love nor money so I binned it (Meaning 'in the bin' not 1,2 or 3xbin 😂)

Thanks Steve. I used PI for the bulk of the editing only turning to PS for the final touch ups and colour correcting although I did watch a Cuiv the Lazy Geek video last night which showed how its done in PI. One step at a time though my little brain can only take so much! 😂

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

That's come out lovely, lots of thin wispy stuff there i don't see on many and mine of course, great shot.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Its such a great object I wanted to do it justice, so much to learn in AP its almost been overwhelming at times but also very enjoyable.

Edited by Mike73
  • Like 2

That's really rather lovely, masses of fine detail coming through.

May be worth getting more data, but remember that SNR goes as the square root of number of subs. Doubling the number will only get you 1.4 x the SNR.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DaveS said:

That's really rather lovely, masses of fine detail coming through.

May be worth getting more data, but remember that SNR goes as the square root of number of subs. Doubling the number will only get you 1.4 x the SNR.

Thanks Dave.

I've got to be honest and say that I havent even dived into learning about SNR yet although I have a rough idea (very rough!) but with the forecast this weekend it looks like I'II have plenty of time to learn.

All seems very confusing right now. The effect of different types and filter strengths, how moon and LP strength effects SNR. So many questions! :)

1 hour ago, tomato said:

That’s a really nice image. May I ask did you you do anything in the processing to minimise the background stars, or are they subdued by the filters you are using?

Thankyou Tomato.

Yes I've ran star reduction in Photoshop as I felt the star field was too rich but the stars were quite small anyway, there was just too many of them and I felt they hid the nebulosity. Whether the small star size has anything to do with the filters I just couldn't say. My effective focal length of the Redcat and 1600 is just shy of 500mm so quite wide.

I was a little tempted to add RGB for star colour and keep the star field but again the stars are so small anyway I didn't really see much point.

I've moved onto a different object(s) tonight which is pretty exciting, I quite like the idea of returning to the Veil next year to add more data or maybe start fresh?

As others have said, that's a wonderful image.

If you did want to spend more time on it and are able to do RGB, getting the stars under RGB (probably wouldn't need very long exposures) would allow you to add colour to just the stars, which would possibly compliment the very fine Ha/Oiii data.   

This is one of the few targets that seem to benefit from this approach.

• Thanks 1

A feisty image with something to say. It does prioritize the brighter nebulosity, though it looks to me as if some of the fainter signal which tempts you is already there in the data. (Your black point is set quite low, which may just have clipped a bit of  it. Maybe, maybe not...)

If you look at the handle of the Witch's Broom you can see a second 'handle' diverging from it in Ha. This is a good way to gauge the depth of a Veil image. One way to bring out more of what you have is to use Curves.  Pin the background where it is and then stretch just above it. Here's an example. The lowest dot on the curve is a fixing point. The next up is bang on the background. The lift comes above that.

429208365_Kinkedcurvestretch.JPG.512fb27b7eaa9d87154156bf20656f03.JPG

I have to say, I'd be tempted to go the extra mile with such a good image.

Olly

• Thanks 1

Very nice image indeed! Many would be happy if their 100ed image looked like this. I do agree with Olly that there may be more faint stuff to be drawn out ot the image. If you use PS you can run "Equalize" on a copy of the image to see what faint stuff is there (it is an analytical tool and not unusllay used for processing)

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1