NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion full mosaic drizzle 1.5

neil phillips

Being undersampled. i have been meaning to try a full size mosaic of some reasonable data i got recently with my Orion 10" and ZWO 178 M. Using drizzle 1.5. The result looks pretty good to my eye. A nice combination. of Smoothness and sharp detail. Its helped bring the features alive i think. 

zzzzz finished.png b.png c.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 24

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

that is awesome. can you tell us a bit more about the process of shooting ? and then stacking/joining. I'd love to do something like that myself.

It would make a great large print for the wall !

2 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

That is absolutely stunning Neil. The level of detail is so fine. I love the rilles in Sinus Medii. Rima Hyginus shows up really well. 

Thank you for the kind comments. It came together well with the processing. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Terrific mosaic, needs to be viewed at full size to appreciate the detail/resolution properly. Excellent work Neil, how many images was it?

Thanks Pete not that many actually. Prime focus F6.3. Dont forget the 178m camera is reasonably large. One peice covering quite a large area.

Around 8 panes 

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

That's a real stunner Neil, top quality work! The full size image is a feast for the eyes just panning around and taking it all in in glorious detail.

Cheers Craig. It surprised me this time. With the fineness of some of the details that were coming out. Took a while to build it, a lot of work. Fine tuning. 

So more on on the how please ? I've done mosaics for DSOs, but for lucky imaging.. seems like it would be trickier ? I can see how you can do your lucky imaging and get 8 nice clear sections - but to blend them together ? Was it that way - get 8 good, then 'panorama' with photoshop/hugin/whatever ? Or is there some process to throw all 8 videos at some program to  lucky image a mosaic ?

And if I manage to do this, I am definately adding a @Tiny Clanger to one of the craters, and maybe a soup dragon.

Edited by powerlord
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

that is awesome. can you tell us a bit more about the process of shooting ? and then stacking/joining. I'd love to do something like that myself.

It would make a great large print for the wall !

Ok will try and explain the main processing and capture. Orion 10" scope. No barlow zwo 178m camera planet one IR 685 filter. I captured at full resolution of the camera at 60 frames per second Mono 8 cant remember the exposure. But may have been around 1/250 secs exposure. Capturing 5000 frames per peice. Histogram levels were watched. And each peice reset to 70% using gain, as i moved around.  Each peice was run through PIPP. To stabilize it.  Then into AS/3 where i used noise robust 4. and 5. AP Box size 48.  stacking 580 frames from 5000. per peice. Drizzle 1.5 

Image analyzer. Did a frequency domain filter. On all peices. Registax 6 top wavelet only ( the finest ) Full up. Using gaussian.

Extra mild sharpening performed on image analyzer. Registax 6 a histogram stretch was performed on all peices joined on microsoft ICE mosaic builder 

Those are the main points from memory. It took around 2 days work from scratch. Off and on. 

I really need to get a printer. As i actually would like to do that. It sounds daunting. Come to think of it. it actually was. I archived the footage. And it also had to be converted back to SER files to start. It was a fair bit of work. Even with only 8 panes stitched on ICE 

Hope the explanation is helpful. If you have any questions just ask

Edited by neil phillips

10 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Ok will try and explain the main processing and capture. Orion 10" scope. No barlow zwo 178m camera planet one IR 685 filter. I captured at full resolution of the camera at 60 frames per second Mono 8 cant remember the exposure. But may have been around 1/250 secs exposure. Capturing 5000 frames per peice. Histogram levels were watched. And each peice reset to 70% using gain, as i moved around.  Each peice was run through PIPP. To stabilize it.  Then into AS/3 where i used noise robust 4. and 5. AP Box size 48.  stacking 580 frames from 5000. per peice. Drizzle 1.5 

Image analyzer. Did a frequency domain filter. On all peices. Registax 6 top wavelet only ( the finest ) Full up. Using gaussian.

Extra mild sharpening performed on image analyzer. Registax 6 a histogram stretch was performed on all peices joined on microsoft ICE mosaic builder 

Those are the main points from memory. It took around 2 days work from scratch. Off and on. 

I really need to get a printer. As i actually would like to do that. It sounds daunting. Come to think of it. it actually was. I archived the footage. And it also had to be converted back to SER files to start. It was a fair bit of work. Even with only 8 panes stitched on ICE 

Hope the explanation is helpful. If you have any questions just ask

thanks Neil, appeciate you spending the time talking through that. with the moon coming back at the moment, I might give it a go with my asi224.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Wow!  What an achievement Neil!  Outstanding does not cover it.   The detail and smooth finish is the best of the best.  You can cut out 50 closeups here that would stand up well on their own!  Will be returning to have a much longer exploration later.

Mike

Thanks Mike. The importance of processing can not be underestimated. Its a lesson that i will have to remember. I was going to delete the data the other day. But wanted to try drizzle just on the off chance it improved the undersampling. What with that, and running each peice through PIPP. Doing a stabilization. Has helped AS/3 do a better job of sorting and stacking the frames. Will remember in the future not to be too hasty in killing good data. Before the best has been got from it. 

Thanks for the kind comments much appreciated Mike

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

A lovely image which reaches the holy grail of being packed with fine detail without looking sharpened.

Olly

Thanks Olly that has always been my goal. I dont always achieve it ( good data helps ) But its a balance worth striving for. Glad its Coming out like that to others viewing on different screens. Looking foward to even better very soon. When the moon returns. We shall see. But stay tuned as they say. 

OK moon virgin here (not to be confused with moon virginS which are actually a highly sought out resource in Suffolk around this time of the lunar month by the locals)

So tonight is looking good for full moon visible in the 1 hour of cloudless sky predicted for 1-2am. I was going to try my c925 with the asi2600 and ir pass filter? Ir pass best for moon right? That should give me about a 4 part mosaic.

OR I could try about a 6 part mosaic with my p200 and Asi224.. Which would allow for far faster fps with the Asi224 and ir pass filter, but lower resolution. Possibly clearer though as only using middle of image vs straight c925 with Asi1600.

What do u reckon is best combo?

On paper I might get 35mp mosaic out c925 combo vs maybe 20mp with asi234.

But Asi1600 can only do 23fps in 10bit vs 150fps with Asi224.

Would I be right in thinking newt and Asi224s high fps will trump?

Stu