Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter: 23-08-2021

John

Some fine views of Jupiter tonight with my ED120 refractor. Varying levels of cloud cover but very nice during the clear patches !

I don't image at all or sketch much but I've been playing around with an image editor and recent Jupiter images to try and simulate the level of detail and tone that I am seeing tonight at 180x magnification. The image scale of Jupiter below is much larger than I see it in the eyepiece of course but, having compared this with the view through the scope several times now, I feel that the overall picture is quite an accurate one of what is on show, including those dark barges along the north edge of the North Equatorial Belt and that dark "eyebrow" type feature framing the Great Red Spot in it's hollow within the South Equatorial belt.

This is the refractor view so north at the top but east and west reversed. This is the view from around 45 minutes ago:

jup230821.jpg.dbe2150e168935dd6b8c4f434860fca4.jpg

• Like 11

Spent a good couple of hours following the Ganymede transit from the middle to the eastern limb using my Tak FC-100DL & WO BV's. I've only seen a few of these transits but what struck me was how clear and sharp it was and how quickly it moved, also Is it me or is the GRS fading in colour? its looking decidedly like a Farrow & Ball pastel shade that my wife likes so much!

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Spent a good couple of hours following the Ganymede transit from the middle to the eastern limb using my Tak FC-100DL & WO BV's. I've only seen a few of these transits but what struck me was how clear and sharp it was and how quickly it moved, also Is it me or is the GRS fading in colour? its looking decidedly like a Farrow & Ball pastel shade that my wife likes to much!

The GRS is both more faded in tone and seems smaller than in previous years I feel.

• Like 1

I was out about 10p.m. last night looking at Saturn and Jupiter before destroying my night vision (even with a moon filter) on the full moon.

When I looked at Jupiter I could see three moons and a dot on the 'surface' of Jupiter, was that another moon transiting the planet or the shadow of one of the moons I could see?

It wasn't the GRS! 

On that topic, I have looked at Jupiter dozens of times and I still haven't been able to positively identify it.

The visibility was good last night and I have bortle 4 darkness here. I was using a 127 Mak with a 9mm poss eyepiece so the magnification should have been ok, I just can't pick it out.

Any tips to help see it?

Thanks

• Like 1

Just out with the 80mm f10 achro now, I'm thoroughly enjoying viewing both Saturn and Jupiter again. Despite complete thin cloud coverage all over, Jupiter is still showing some fantastic colouration and banding. with Io, Europa and Ganymede sitting to the left of the planetary disc.

I think Jupiter is my favourite observing target, I never get bored of looking at it and its configuration of moons. There is just so much to look at and look for! The 13mm Delite and 10mm BCO are impressing me again tonight; the BCO is a marvel for its cost. 

The Moon is just on its way round a tree in my line of sight, so I might stay out a bit longer... 😁

• Like 3

After weeks of cloud I finally made it out (for second time ever) with my 200p and got very good views of Jupiter and Saturn with 8mm. Just wish I could stay up later for even better seeing but I know I'll regret it when the children wake up at 5..

Hoping to see the GRS on a night soon.

I also tried the Moon and had to crank out the variable ND filter. Feel I need something in between my 8mm and 25mm for moon viewing really, mainly so I can navigate more easily. Think I'm gradually persuading myself to get a Zoom.

• Like 3

Hi all I have been out since 9..00pm using my 102 refractor x100 firmly at Saturn and the Jupiter.

Saturn wasn't to bad at times good but my local trees soon interfere.

I then concentrated on Jupiter and the seeing at times was fantastic with good detail showing ,I didn't expect that as the clouds  were moving over the target.

the Moon then came along and I then called it a night.

I aim looking forward to viewing the moon  at about last quarter when its kinder on the eye. All in all well pleased

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kimboman said:

Hi I really like this image    what scope is your 80mm 

It's the Starbase 80, essentially a Scopetech brand. My thoughts on it can be found here 

Also I purchased a camera app that lets me control exposure and ISO called Halide, but there are plenty others available.

Sorry for derailing John's thread... Anyway, I seem to experience a strange phenomena when I observe Jupiter, I never seem to be able to access the GRS, it's always rotated out of view. Strikes me as odd or unlucky when it's rotation period is 9.8 hours! 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 00:46, John said:

Some fine views of Jupiter tonight with my ED120 refractor. Varying levels of cloud cover but very nice during the clear patches !

I don't image at all or sketch much but I've been playing around with an image editor and recent Jupiter images to try and simulate the level of detail and tone that I am seeing tonight at 180x magnification. The image scale of Jupiter below is much larger than I see it in the eyepiece of course but, having compared this with the view through the scope several times now, I feel that the overall picture is quite an accurate one of what is on show, including those dark barges along the north edge of the North Equatorial Belt and that dark "eyebrow" type feature framing the Great Red Spot in it's hollow within the South Equatorial belt.

This is the refractor view so north at the top but east and west reversed. This is the view from around 45 minutes ago:

jup230821.jpg.dbe2150e168935dd6b8c4f434860fca4.jpg

lovely image ... it was so clear last night but , alas my scope is still not ready for use ... but , looking at images like this is brilliant . 

• Like 1

Just had another 20 minute 80mm grab n go session with Jupiter. Started viewing at ambient temperature in the kitchen doorway and views OK with the Hyperflex zoom but mushy at high mag. Moved the scope outdoors by 12 inches and continued observing, quite amazing watching the image improve over time as the scope cooled, almost like a polaroid developing!

The GRS was just visible to the right of the disc but seemingly paler than the rich orange/brown colour of the NEB. By the end of the session the views were pretty breathtaking. The 10mm BCO showing such clear banding between the NTB, NEB, EZ, SEB & STB. The Northern polar region also showing good shading. Can’t get enough of Jupiter right now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Seeing was OK but not wonderful. 100x required a bit more patience but 80x was lovely. I have full cloud again now and think that’ll be that!

My haze has thickened to the point where Jupiter is the only thing showing. The edge has been knocked off the contrast of the features now so I've packed in as well :rolleyes2:

Just got in from a great session - the seeing here is amazing tonight.

I took the Skymax 127 out, figuring that the moon would see off any chance of fainter prey, but actually got an hour or so in before it washed out the east side of the sky, and found a first-time planetary (NGC6210) that showed some colour. Some open clusters and globulars, then on to the doubles. By then I'd estimate the seeing as Pickering 9, I've not seen it as good. Managed to split 36 Andromedae (1.2") at 300x, which surprised me, so close to the moon.

Then Jupiter and Saturn. I could see five belts on Jupiter (but not nearly as good as your picture, John). No GRS, but I did see details in the NEB, which I've not seen before. And Io actually looked yellow, next to Ganymede - I've not seen that before, either.

Finally, the moon. Just superb in the 6.7mm ES at x223. Rock solid, and the fine detail in the craters on the terminator were something else. As a last effort (and not really expecting anything) I added a 2x barlow - it still held, and gave up even more detail. The only problem was the floaters in my ageing eyes 🥴

• Like 2

Have just done a quick sketch of what I saw last night. There were occasions where darker areas showed in the NEB, possible barges. 

So looking forward to Jupiter getting higher in the sky in the next few years.

871A0750-B75A-49BF-A7CC-C6119FE72FDD.jpeg

• Like 4

Clear night forecast here tonight so I'm hoping to get my 12 inch dob onto Saturn and Jupiter :smiley:

I've not done much planetary observing with that scope lately so it will be good to see how it does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John said:

Clear night forecast here tonight so I'm hoping to get my 12 inch dob onto Saturn and Jupiter :smiley:

I've not done much planetary observing with that scope lately so it will be good to see how it does.

Well if the conditions are kind I bet the views through the 12” will be stunning. I used my 8” dob for a planetary session a week or so ago and Jupiter looked incredible.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Well if the conditions are kind I bet the views through the 12” will be stunning. I used my 8” dob for a planetary session a week or so ago and Jupiter looked incredible.

I'm also hoping to see Enceladus with the larger aperture and  traces of Saturn's "C" ring. These have eluded me so far with the smaller aperture refractors.

Neptune's moon Triton might be favourably placed as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John said:

I'm also hoping to see Enceladus with the larger aperture and  traces of Saturn's "C" ring. These have eluded me so far with the smaller aperture refractors.

Neptune's moon Triton might be favourably placed as well.

Wonderful target list as ever. Neptune is a bit of late arrival for me at the minute but I doubt I could get close to seeing Triton. I tried with Uranus’ moons last season and came up empty handed. Hopefully will get to view ice the giants in the next few months.

• Thanks 1

I always feel a bit spoiled down here with Jupiter and Saturn being so high in the sky compared to you poor souls up north scanning the murk and haze near your horizon.

However, I have just noticed on SkySafari that both planets are starting to move down from their lofty heights. Saturn has descended from 75 degrees to 70, and Jupiter from 70 degrees to 65 in the past year or so. 

Still embarrassingly high for me but at least this means they are rising higher for you and improving your views at last. Enjoy!  😁

• Like 1