Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Dual-Speed 2" Low Profile Crayford Focuser

johninderby

hi all

I was finally allowed to open my anniversary gift from my wife (it's today) and I fitted the focuser this morning. Full details here http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97917-dob-has-landed.html nd scroll down to the end.

It's quite an easy fit but did have to drill new fitting holes for the bolts as the base is wider than the one on the Orion Focuser I took off.

It's a really nice addition to my dob and will make fine focusing so much easier.

Like John, I also made the adapter into a collimation cap - works a treat.

Very highly recommended even at full price (I paid effectively £70 used).

cheers

Shane

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just one thing I'd add to this: I attached one of these to my dob last week; tried it out on the moon at dusk in case I had to do any adjustments before it got dark, and I made the interesting discovery that I couldn't get any 2" eyepieces to come to focus. Should've measured up before really, after all it does say "low profile" :) Had to swap the old focuser back on for the time being, but I've got a 50mm extender now which should sort it :icon_scratch:

Would this fit the 6" 150p ? It's got the standard Crayford focuser on it and seems to have some kind of adapter plate in between to compensate for the increased curvature of the tube...

The Skywatcher low profile Crayford focuser has an inbuilt focus extension tube. Unlock the right-hand silver thumb-screw and pull the tube out. Have you tried your 2-inch eyepieces with the tube extended?

HTH, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion - yes I tried it with the tube all the way out, but they still need a bit more. Not really a problem, an extension tube sorts it. Till I can't resist buying a Moonlite instead of course :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hi all i got this when fiting to 12" dob there is a slight gap on the left and right side i fliiled this gap the stock screws only just reach the 1.25 " adapter is a bit rubbish i replaced mine as the one that comes with this will scratch the silver portion of ya eps,and is a rather tight fitbut all in all from the rack and **** pinion that comes with sky watchers this is silky smooth and is brill for photos the focus can be 100% better great bit of kit

hi all i got this when fiting to 12" dob there is a slight gap on the left and right side i fliiled this gap the stock screws only just reach the 1.25 " adapter is a bit rubbish i replaced mine as the one that comes with this will scratch the silver portion of ya eps,and is a rather tight fitbut all in all from the rack and **** pinion that comes with sky watchers this is silky smooth and is brill for photos the focus can be 100% better great bit of kit

Did you get the focuser with the wider base plate (as shown in photo below) I know FLO normally sells it with the wider base plate that bolts directly onto a Skywatcher OTA so there's no gap.

John

Hi.

Interesting thread. I'm on the lookout for an ultra low profile focuser for adaption to my 200K.

I'm interested in the overall length/height of the focuser when everything is racked 'in', including the 4.7mm(?) lip at the scope side of the focuser, but not including the adapter for the newt tube.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi.

Interesting thread. I'm on the lookout for an ultra low profile focuser for adaption to my 200K.

I'm interested in the overall length/height of the focuser when everything is racked 'in', including the 4.7mm(?) lip at the scope side of the focuser, but not including the adapter for the newt tube.

Cheers,

Andy.

Racked in it's 59mm high not including the 1.25" adaptor or base. The built in extension tube adds about 55mm when fully extended.

BTW the Baader Steeltrack is about 45mm high racked in.

John

As this is a review, thought I'd just mention that I fitted it to my Celestron 8" newt a few weeks ago which I use almost exclusivey for imaging. I have to say I'm very pleased with it. All of a sudden, focussing the camera is much much easier and the action is extremely smooth. I haven't had to make any adjustments. I'd have to say that it's not ideally suited to visual, and the eyepiece holder for 1.25" eyepieces is extremely tight - it doesn't have a screw to lock the eyepiece in either. For me that's not a problem as I hardly do any visual now.

As this is a Skywatcher product, I did need to drill fresh holes in the Newt to mount it, but otherwise, fitting was not a problem and Steve at FLO did warn me I'd have to do a bit of DIY:)

All in all, a very nice product - just wish we could get these things for the price they pay in the USA.:)

[quote name=

As this is a Skywatcher product, I did need to drill fresh holes in the Newt to mount it, but otherwise, fitting was not a problem and Steve at FLO did warn me I'd have to do a bit of DIY

:)

BTW although it is a SkyWatcher product it's normally supplied with a generic baseplae that is to narrow to be a direct bolt on replacement for a Skywatcher OTA. I'm aware that FLO does supply the correct baseplate but don't assume that every dealer will ship it with a Skywatcher type one. Best to check with the dealer first.

John

Did you get the focuser with the wider base plate (as shown in photo below) I know FLO normally sells it with the wider base plate that bolts directly onto a Skywatcher OTA so there's no gap.

John

yes there is a gap ,and it does bolt straight on its the same as the one in the pic it as no extra plate as the screws would not fit look at the top right hand side screw its there and the same i will tey and peel the flocking of to show ya but it was no prob

pps the one with this quote

Just loosen the four little hex screws in the side of the baseplate and rotate the focuser and tighten them screws again.

On each of the two flat sides of the baseplate there are two little holes in the side of the baseplate and this is where the hex head screws are.

John

Hi,

Nice review. I've bought one for my C6 without realising it's a major cut and shut job to fit. Not sure I want to go down that route, should I sell it on or buy a Dob? Or can I return to Steve as PX against a Dob?

Hi,

Nice review. I've bought one for my C6 without realising it's a major cut and shut job to fit. Not sure I want to go down that route, should I sell it on or buy a Dob? Or can I return to Steve as PX against a Dob?

I think Steve might take it back as credit for something else. However it's not that big a job really.

Here's where I fitted a low profile focuser to a 6" Newt OTA.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/119323-fitting-2-focuser-skywatcher-150pl-newt-ota.html

Also the finished project.

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/132678-150pl-f-8-super-planetary-newt-oo-1-12pv-miror-etc.html#post1731968

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted one of these to my Celestron C10-NGT Newtonian and it gives me all the inwards travel for attaching my Canon EOS 500D camera for prime focus Astro Photography.

p.s. I do have to use an additional extender tube for visual observing even with drawtube extended there is not quite enough extension to get focus with an eyepiece otherwise but this is not a problem. I did need the low profile focuser to do AP

Rgds James

Archived