Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Astronomy - now available!

Merlin66

On 07/07/2021 at 07:42, Merlin66 said:

The “baby” is finally been published and available.
http://solar-astronomy-book.com/
I can assure you that this is the most up to date reference on all aspects of solar observing available to the amateur.
If you only buy one book on the Sun, this is the one to buy.
Highly recommended.

Many thanks, it looks fabulous.  How much is it, and where's the best place to order it from?  Thanks again.

I can assure you that this is the most up to date reference on all aspects of solar observing available to the amateur.
Highly recommended.

Excellent news - thanks for posting - haven’t been on Solarchat for a while so missed this. The two or three existing solar books on the market are a little out of date now, so looking forward to this.

Received the volume day before yesterday. Today I had some time to give it a quick look and I can only say it is worth every penny! The book starts with some stunning images, that good that you would almost lay the work aside as a work for professionals. Looking further it becomes clear that it is for the amateur astronomer in every sense. Various observation techniques and scopes are discussed and shown as well as several amateur home-made scopes. The physics of the Sun itself and behind imaging detail is discussed as well as the history of solar observations and the influence of our surrounding on seeing. Observational techniques from sketching to imaging and radio astronomy are discussed with ample examples. Processing is discussed in great detail using software we are all too familiar with: AutoStakkert, IMPPG and PhotoShop and techniques like deconvolution, unsharp mask, etc. are discussed. And even for those who are not interested in too much technicalities, the abundance of great images (most solar images in black & white, others in full colour) makes the book worth acquiring. The typesetting is clear as well with keywords and references to tables and figures in blue, so they stand out in the text.

Perhaps there is only one downside: at A4-size and being a 1.7kg glossy paperback makes the book somewhat slack and unwieldy to handle. Personally I would have preferred a hard-cover edition, even if that would have added to the price.

I am looking forward diving into it, so my advise: get yourself a copy as long as it is available! 😃

Nicolàs

Edited by inFINNity Deck
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, inFINNity Deck said:

Received the volume day before yesterday. Today I had some time to give it a quick look and I can only say it is worth every penny! The book starts with some stunning images, that good that you would almost lay the work aside as a work for professionals. Looking further it becomes clear that it is for the amateur astronomer in every sense. Various observation techniques and scopes are discussed and shown as well as several amateur home-made scopes. The physics of the Sun itself and behind imaging detail is discussed as well as the history of solar observations and the influence of our surrounding on seeing. Observational techniques from sketching to imaging and radio astronomy are discussed with ample examples. Processing is discussed in great detail using software we are all too familiar with: AutoStakkert, IMPPG and PhotoShop and techniques like deconvolution, unsharp mask, etc. are discussed. And even for those who are not interested in too much technicalities, the abundance of great images (most solar images in black & white, others in full colour) makes the book worth acquiring. The typesetting is clear as well with keywords and references to tables and figures in blue, so they stand out in the text.

Perhaps there is only one downside: at A4-size and being a 1.7kg glossy paperback makes the book somewhat slack and unwieldy to handle. Personally I would have preferred a hard-cover edition, even if that would have added to the price.

I am looking forward diving into it, so my advise: get yourself a copy as long as it is available! 😃

Nicolàs

Thanks Nicolas, that's just what I wanted to hear.  I ordered mine the day after you so it should be here soon 🙂.

An extraordinary amount of work has gone into this - it exceeds already very high expectations - by far the best solar astronomy resource on the market. 

Highly recommended.

Ken - do I take it that you helped translate it into English? If so congratulations on a great job. 

6798DD93-1D0A-443B-9551-F9D09F97A297.jpeg

Yes, I did the majority of the translation.

A labour of love. After seeing the original French book, it was obvious that the content needed a wider English audience.

I’m glad to say that it seems to have been well received by the amateur community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2021 at 00:05, Merlin66 said:

Yes, I did the majority of the translation.

A labour of love. After seeing the original French book, it was obvious that the content needed a wider English audience.

I’m glad to say that it seems to have been well received by the amateur community.

Just WOW, thanks, birthday in a few months, lol. 

• Like 1

I've read quote a bit of my copy now.  It's breadth, quality and the wonderful illustrations and photographs are outstanding.  Certainly from a practical point of view I just can't imagine anything ever beating it. The most comprehensive book on solar astronomy I've never seen anything that has come close to it. Don't hesitate, just buy it.  Worth every penny 😊.

• Like 1

As soon as I can I buy it. I look at the Sun every day with my achromatic 80/400 using a glass solar filter at full aperture, also making the drawing. In the past school year I proposed to the school where I teach, the ex magistrali of Nuoro, the observation of the Sun for interested students, discarding the nocturnal observation to involve anyone who wanted it (half of our students come from the villages). I think I will buy this book too, if I consider it appropriate I will propose it to my school for purchase.

Edited by Gonariu
  • Like 3

A big old book this one, 480 Pages, 1473 Images, 16Chapters, 1.7Kg. Definitely going to buy it, looks an execellent addition to the Astro library !

I think i might wait a week, as i am away for next week and i am not sure whether it will fit through the letter box! Anybody care to share the size of the packaging of the A4 book ?

On 05/08/2021 at 19:04, Pete Presland said:

A big old book this one, 480 Pages, 1473 Images, 16Chapters, 1.7Kg. Definitely going to buy it, looks an execellent addition to the Astro library !

I think i might wait a week, as i am away for next week and i am not sure whether it will fit through the letter box! Anybody care to share the size of the packaging of the A4 book ?

It won't fit through your letterbox. Mine arrived in very secure cardboard packaging, all edges perfectly intact thanks to the design of the packaging which was maybe 2 inches all round bigger than A4.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NiCo10 said:

It won't fit through your letterbox. Mine arrived in very secure cardboard packaging, all edges perfectly intact thanks to the design of the packaging which was maybe 2 inches all round bigger than A4.

Thanks @NiCo10 i will give it a couple of days and order jusst before i return from holiday 👍

• 2 weeks later...