SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thinking of upgrading my diagonal, but is it worth it?

Ags

I have been using the freebie diagonals that came with my telescopes for a while, and the one thing that really annoys me is that the eyepiece clamping screw is so high up it scratches the bottom of fatter eyepieces. And they do tend to disassemble... But I don't know if a diagonal optically makes any difference. Will this improve my views through my C6 at all?

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p1771_TS-Optics-1-25--TS-Optics-1-25--Star-Diagonal-with-ring-clamb---99----1-12-Lambda.html

Star diagonal 1.25 "99 percent - dielectric - metal housing - TS Optics

The alternative is to save for another month, and get this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8086_Baader-Morpheus-17-5-mm-76--Weitwinkelokular---neue-Generation.html

Edited by Ags

I can't answer question about optical performance of each (yet) - would need some time to conduct the tests - but when I purchased my last scope - I simply added 1.25" 99% dielectric diagonal you linked because I know that Mak102 comes with simple 90% plastic diagonal.

I now have both and can run some tests for you later this summer when I return to observing and planets put on a show (maybe even sooner than that - on lunar).

• Like 1

Hi the ones that normally come with the scope are not good I upgraded mine to a top of the range SW one that allows 99% of the light into the eyepiece , if your worried about the screw marking the eyepiece get the 2 inch one and fit a self centering eyepiece holder like the baader click lock 

Edited by Neil H
Typo
  • Like 1

Have you considered one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/baader-clicklock-2-dielectric-star-diagonal.html

The beauty of this is the click lock which holds your eyepiece really securely but also enables quick release for ep changes. It leaves no marks on your eyepiece. Optically it’s Baader, so say no more. You can also get a 1.25 click lock adapter if you need to. It’s expensive yes, but worth every penny in my opinion 

• Like 1

I replaced the stock 1.25" diagonal on my C8se with a TV dielectric similar fit.  Can't say I saw a noticeable difference but at least I know it's a good one and I'm still the only weak link in the optical train.    🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Have you considered one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/baader-clicklock-2-dielectric-star-diagonal.html

The beauty of this is the click lock which holds your eyepiece really securely but also enables quick release for ep changes. It leaves no marks on your eyepiece. Optically it’s Baader, so say no more. You can also get a 1.25 click lock adapter if you need to. It’s expensive yes, but worth every penny in my opinion

Got one of these and would recommend it as well. The click lock system is superb and really convenient when changing EPs. My Baader Morpheus EPs fit in the 2” barrel and I’ve got the adapter for the 1.25 EPs.

well worth getting if possible.

• Like 2

I've owned and used one of the TS 1.25 inch dielectric diagonals and it was both much better constructed than the stock item and, I felt, gave slightly better views - a little brighter and with a little less light scatter. Worth having at the price they are selling for.

I'm unsure whether moving to using a 2 inch diagonal (such as the Baader click-lock) is going to be worthwhile with a C6 scope though :icon_scratch:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps a Baader T2 prism? small and lightweight but as it has T2 connections you can fit 1.25” or 2” nosepieces or eyepiece holders so useful on many scopes not just a C6.

Edited by johninderby

17 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Sale or no sale, I just wish they were available, period.

There is so much pent-up demand.

It's got to be killing your business if you have no stock to sell.