Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade have a new owner

Good news.

That is interesting about the price fixing lawsuit Orion filed against Chinese manufactures in 2019. Wonder if that is part of the reason Celestron prices jumped up a couple of years ago

Edited by CraigT82

For years meade were reponsible for price fixing, especially in Europe, buying a meade telescope in the UK was expensive, a direct conversion  from dollars to pounds pushed the prices up astromomically.   We had a local dealer that dropped Meade's prices and Meade dropped them!

Think it will be hard for Meade to rebuild their reputation in the EU and UK. Meade hardly ever gets a mention now when discussing a new scope purchase on SGL but who knows after a few years ownership by Orion USA things might change. 🤔

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Think it will be hard for Meade to rebuild their reputation in the EU and UK. Meade hardly ever gets a mention now when discussing a new scope purchase on SGL but who knows after a few years ownership by Orion USA things might change. 🤔

I don’t know why but I don’t associate Meade with consistent high quality. I’ve looked through an ETX125 once at Saturn and it gave an excellent image, but I’m not sure I would buy one of their larger scopes. As said, it’s one of those irrational things, no particular basis for it so would like to be proved wrong!

Meade telescopes were successful with their LX range also with their 5000 triplets their optics were second to none.

I have no sympathy for Meade. I still remember the very biased opinions which BC&F had once when visiting their faringdon showroom in London.

Edited by Skyline