Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

. Self Introduction

cadred

Greetings from the Rockies. I am just getting into backyard astronomy, and looking forward to the challenge. We will mostly observe from between 5,200 - 8,000 feet on the mountain behind our house. I am now looking at different scopes and think I'll go for a Neutonian, but it's early days. I've watched Dobson's video on making your own telescope, but I know I'd go bonkers with the sanding.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and finding my way around the site.

Welcome to SGL Cadred. Good to have you with us.

Making a Dob is a lot easier if you buy the mirrors ready made. It does take some effort and planning, but you learn a lot on the journey.

Wow, that location sounds pretty spectacular for observing!

32 minutes ago, cadred said:

I am now looking at different scopes and think I'll go for a Neutonian, but it's early days. I've watched Dobson's video on making your own telescope, but I know I'd go bonkers with the sanding.

Few people make their own telescopes these days. It is unlikely to save you much money, and only worth it if you have an irresistible urge to create one with your own hands.  The Dobsonian design has become a commercial product, available from various branded manufacturers.  Second hand telescopes are readily available, and if bought from an enthusiast should be in good condition and save you significant money compared with a new one. 

The Newtonian design is still popular, especially mounted as a Dobsonian.  You can put them on an equatorial mount, but the mount becomes a significant investment and the eyepiece can get into awkward positions.

• 2 weeks later...