Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie Ha Solar Scope Questions please

kirkster501

Always been a white light guy and want to get a Ha solar scope to increase my hands on astronomy more after the winter nighttime cloud-out.  Quite fancy a 60mm one from Lunt and probably the B1200.  Am I thinking along the right lines please guys?  Would a 80mm be that much better?  80 seems very much more expensive.

Use case is visual observation and imaging, I do both - nighttime too. This is not a fad, I have been a quiet stalker of the solar sections for many a year.  A bit of share trading on the NYSE has seen some money come in :) 

Does much go wrong with these things in terms of the Etalon?  Is buying a used one generally OK?  They do not seem to hang around for long when they come up. 

Many thanks!

I waited to see if other, more knowledgeable, folks would come in here but it seems not, so ...

Yes, go for it! I have a double stacked Lunt 60 which I bought used from a fellow SGL member. He provided me with assurances about its capability and followed up with good advice on using it. Haven’t regretted my purchase and use it as often as I can. 

Apart from my usual hesitancy over advising other people about how to spend their money I also held back because I don’t do imaging. I’m strictly visual and can’t comment on the Lunt 60 for imaging.

Previous to my present setup I had a Coronado SolarMax 40 which I thoroughly enjoyed using. In fact it was breathtaking! Great little scope which gave lovely views. But that was during solar maximum and it would have been difficult not to enjoy  viewing in Ha ... 😎

I’ve also had three(!) Daystar Quarks. The first two - the second a replacement for the first - were bought new but didn’t perform well. These were bought during the time when Daystar were experiencing much publicised quality control problems and the retailer eventually pulled the plug on supplying them and refunded me. The third was bought used on this forum and, again, came with assurances regarding its capability. I thought it was a great piece of kit and, if you get a good one, you’d not be disappointed. I believe Daystar now have a better grip on quality.

The Quarks have a built in Barlow and you need to factor that in when choosing the scope you will be using. I have heard that some imagers favour the Quark but, as mentioned above, I can’t comment on that.

I moved on to the Lunt 60 and I’m happy with it. If you go ahead with the purchase you’ll expand your horizon on ‘the bright side’ and, also, now might be a good time as Solar Cycle 25 seems to be picking up.

I hope this has been of some help. Happy hunting, have fun on the research path/learning curve and I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by Floater
  • Like 2

A Lunt solar telescope is a pretty safe buy, good customer support.  Double stacking will enhance the photographic aspect, a double stack 60mm would probably give you more satisfaction than a single stack 80, still pricey though.   As far as life span is concerned, etalons last well as long as you don't drop them, blocking filters are also good long term.  The Lunt ITF, (and other makes), are known to fail prematurely, the Lunt units are usually replaced FOC either by Lunt or the original vendor.  I've always bought solar gear used but with a good track record.    😆 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neil H said:

There is a Lunt in a case on Astro buy and sale

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=172162

Thanks guys.  Yes I saw Rob's one on ABS - I bought my C925 from Rob in Leicester 8 years ago - and he is a good guy. I really want the 60 though, or even the 80.  And I\d also prefer the 1200 or even 1800.  I am 100% into this, since I have been doing white light for years, so this is not a passing fad.  I want to get a great Ha scope now and not have to upgrade next year.

There has been a 60 on ABS since January and that looks good too but  he's too far away in Worthing (I am in Nottingham) amidst the current restrictions to pop round for a look.  I am not sure how one would trust one of these Ha scopes from a description on a website.  Money ready to commit to this so will just wait for the right one to come up, maybe a bit closer to me.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Thanks 1

You’re right to be cautious. Not specifically about buying used, but about all solar scopes, including Lunt. There is a large contrast in the bandwidth and finesse of etalons with every brand. It’s the luck of the draw whether you get one that really delivers on detail and contrast, or something that just meets minimum standards. In that respect, if you can buy secondhand and test the scope first, you’re in a better position than buying new.

Lunt 60 is a nice scope, though with significant variation in the quality of single stack etalons. Double stacking makes a huge difference if single stack underwhelms. But it’s expensive. The new Lunt modular models here in the U.K. have hiked prices again, but you do get a separate ED night scope for your money. I found it was no more expensive to buy two external, unobstructed Solarscope (Isle of Man) 70mm filters here in the U.K. than a double stacked Lunt 80 (two internal, smaller etalons). Though Solarscope prices are very much higher outside the U.K. 

Wish you best of luck. It’s a fascinating part of the hobby, and despite the outlay, worth every penny if you can find a good scope.

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

You’re right to be cautious. Not specifically about buying used, but about all solar scopes, including Lunt. There is a large contrast in the bandwidth and finesse of etalons with every brand. It’s the luck of the draw whether you get one that really delivers on detail and contrast, or something that just meets minimum standards. In that respect, if you can buy secondhand and test the scope first, you’re in a better position than buying new.

Lunt 60 is a nice scope, though with significant variation in the quality of single stack etalons. Double stacking makes a huge difference if single stack underwhelms. But it’s expensive. The new Lunt modular models here in the U.K. have hiked prices again, but you do get a separate ED night scope for your money. I found it was no more expensive to buy two external, unobstructed Solarscope (Isle of Man) 70mm filters here in the U.K. than a double stacked Lunt 80 (two internal, smaller etalons). Though Solarscope prices are very much higher outside the U.K. 

Wish you best of luck. It’s a fascinating part of the hobby, and despite the outlay, worth every penny if you can find a good scope.

I missed out on yours last year Mark!

• Haha 1

I love my Lunt 60mm double stack. I bought mine second hand and it's ten years old. I did do some servicing on it though, changed the blue blocking filter for a new one and new O'rings on the pressure tuner. Probably didn't need it but at ten years old I thought I'd service it. That's really the only thing to need renewing second hand. Parts were free from Lunt. Great service. Just added some images taken with my scope to show what's expected. The only other thing to go wrong is a detached etalon which is an expensive repair, but that might only occur because of missuse.

PSX_20210312_223358.jpg

PSX_20201208_100537.jpg

PSX_20210307_165949.jpg

PSX_20210220_233846.jpg

PSX_20210312_223009.jpg

PSX_20210220_234046.jpg

• Like 7

I,m not a Lunt fan at all , I've tried & owned various 50s & 60s and have found them 

all to be poor and lacking in etalon finesse ! 

The best configuration is to go back to the very basics and have all externally mounted etalons (there is still to this day no substitute)

The Solar astronomers and imagers that I respect the most from some 15 yrs 

ago do not use Lunt etalons as frankly they all know better.

Brian 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Solar B said:

I,m not a Lunt fan at all , I've tried & owned various 50s & 60s and have found them 

all to be poor and lacking in etalon finesse ! 

The best configuration is to go back to the very basics and have all externally mounted etalons (there is still to this day no substitute)

The Solar astronomers and imagers that I respect the most from some 15 yrs 

ago do not use Lunt etalons as frankly they all know better.

Brian 

I actually disagree entirely with your comment. My Lunt 60mm double stack is excellent. In fact certain people have commented that I have indeed an excellent example when I asked a question about triple stacking as I consistently get good contrast and surface features with it. I agree that it is hit and miss with etchalons but just because you had bad luck doesn't mean every Lunt is the same. 

9 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I actually disagree entirely with your comment. My Lunt 60mm double stack is excellent. In fact certain people have commented that I have indeed an excellent example when I asked a question about triple stacking as I consistently get good contrast and surface features with it. I agree that it is hit and miss with etchalons but just because you had bad luck doesn't mean every Lunt is the same. 

That's fine Nigella you are of course entitled to your opinion , however mine is 

is based trying and owning 6-7 Lunts as  ultimately they are massed produced items ,

to achieve true etalon finesse it requires time and skill to obtain real plate 

flatness and parallelism , someone on CN (much less charitable then even me 

're Lunt) used to call the 50 & 60mms toys !  and he believed that it was only 

with the 80mm that good etalon finesse was achieved.

Further I base my opinions upon owning  Coronado and previously Solarscope and 

Daystar products.

Brian 

It’s good that different experiences are aired on this forum. Unfortunately we don’t get the opportunity to test out various manufacturers’ hardware before we buy, and if you’re shelling out thousands, it’s important to be as informed as possible. It does seem as if Brian has had very bad luck with Lunt. But equally Nigella has shown just what can be achieved with the right secondhand LS60. 

• Like 1

Some interesting responses on here. I’m keen to try some H-Alpha observing at some point myself. Very much enjoying white light with my 80mm refractor. A Quark seemed like a good option as it doesn’t require an additional telescope but sounds a bit hit and miss on getting a good one. Something like the Lunt 50mm currently for sale also seems like a good entry point, though Brain’s and Nigella suggest some variation in the Lunt experience. I’d not heard of Solarscope until today but they sound interesting though possibly an expensive option. I often see the Coronado PST’s for sale at very reasonable prices. There doesn’t seem to be an obvious favourite amongst them. 

Oh well I'm trying not to say any more to upset the Lunt newb's of less than 10 yrs 

HA experience 🌞 , but in the solar world I cannot call something a Tak when in 

my heart of hearts I think its a Tasco 😀 but out of respect to Nigella's very fine 

images I will say no more 👌

Brian

If it was me, my first port of call would be Lunt. I'd get the largest aperture I could afford / was comfortable with, single stack, with a view to double stack it down the line. If that was a 40mm PST, I've had some lovely views through those. H-alpha is kind of crazy money and budget has to play a part!

Although I have not owned a Lunt, I've been impressed by the views I have had through several of them over the years, the price is just about within my pain threshold (!), and I've heard good things about Lunt generally.

I've owned two SolarMax 60's, which I was happy with given their cheaper price than the Lunts. And I am looking to replace my Daystar Quark filters, which I have used at 60mm, 85mm, 100mm, and 120mm.

For imaging I liked using the 120mm the most - more fine detail if conditions are good. For observing, 100mm (lighter scope, but still tons of detail). For grab and go, my little Tele Vue 60 has been a very faithful companion! The 85mm was kind of a halfway of the benefits of the 60mm and 100mm scopes.

Although larger aperture is lovely for close-up detail (as it is with the moon), a small scope also has its attractions, especially when you may get lots of opportunities to observe the sun. It's great to be able to take the scope anywhere with you with a compact mount. Or to nip out really quick.

Good luck with making the right choice for you!

Edited by Luke

• 3 months later...
On 27/03/2021 at 14:07, Solar B said:

That's fine Nigella you are of course entitled to your opinion , however mine is 

is based trying and owning 6-7 Lunts as  ultimately they are massed produced items ,

to achieve true etalon finesse it requires time and skill to obtain real plate 

flatness and parallelism , someone on CN (much less charitable then even me 

're Lunt) used to call the 50 & 60mms toys !  and he believed that it was only 

with the 80mm that good etalon finesse was achieved.

Further I base my opinions upon owning  Coronado and previously Solarscope and 

Daystar products.

Brian 

So if you had that much bad ...... with the Lunt scopes why did you try / own that many ie maybe just a bearer for punishment as they say ? Spending all that cash, why wouldn't you have just stuck with the brands you appear to have had success with ?? Did I miss something ......

On 24/03/2021 at 05:45, Nigella Bryant said:

I love my Lunt 60mm double stack. I bought mine second hand and it's ten years old. I did do some servicing on it though, changed the blue blocking filter for a new one and new O'rings on the pressure tuner. Probably didn't need it but at ten years old I thought I'd service it. That's really the only thing to need renewing second hand. Parts were free from Lunt. Great service. Just added some images taken with my scope to show what's expected. The only other thing to go wrong is a detached etalon which is an expensive repair, but that might only occur because of missuse.

PSX_20210312_223358.jpg

PSX_20201208_100537.jpg

PSX_20210307_165949.jpg

PSX_20210220_233846.jpg

PSX_20210312_223009.jpg

PSX_20210220_234046.jpg

An excellent set of images Nigella, I'm pleased you posted them! 🙂

• Like 1