Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you store your imaging rig complete?

Hi all,

I have in the past asked a question as to how everyone leaves their set-up after a night's imaging session. Further to that question though....does anyone leave there imaging rig complete when not in use? E.g. scope left on mount, cameras attached and so on....?

Mine currently lives in the corner of my lounge more-or-less completely set-up other than cameras and cables. I do this mainly to reduce set-up time (e.g. not having to set-up from scratch).

Curious to hear what others do and why 🙂

Clear skies.

Jonny

No, I split mine up into three parts, scope + camera + guiding, mount and mini-PC + power + usb hub. If I leave the scope on the mount, it will be too heavy to carry.

Total setup time is about 30 - 40 mins including PA with polemaster and PHD2 calibration. And about half of that to pack up at the end of the day. My goal is to have a small obsv built in the garden eventually.

I also split mine, unless there's a run of good weather, then it remains setup on the mount.

Scope, Camera, Guide Scope & Guide camera remain together but removed from the mount. This means I only have to do new flats & dark-flats when I remove the camera for something. ;)

The mount (EQ5) with USB hub and cable harness attached is stored in a cupboard with my other astro kit. Power extension lead & 15m USB3 cable stored in the cupboard.

Setup time from realising the sky is clear to imaging is normally around 30 minutes.

6 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Hi all,

I have in the past asked a question as to how everyone leaves their set-up after a night's imaging session. Further to that question though....does anyone leave there imaging rig complete when not in use? E.g. scope left on mount, cameras attached and so on....?

Mine currently lives in the corner of my lounge more-or-less completely set-up other than cameras and cables. I do this mainly to reduce set-up time (e.g. not having to set-up from scratch).

Curious to hear what others do and why 🙂

Clear skies.

Jonny

I have mine as Tripod and mount (AVX), and telescope. It would be too heavy and awkward to carry out into the garden fully set up - I will also swap between one of two OTA depending on what I want to do

I travel out with mine each time I use it, a drive of about 5 miles usually so I have to split it down, but I do so into as few parts as possible. 

Six in total-

- legs 

- neq6 mount 

- esprit 100 scope, Canon 550d, asiair and pocket powerbox all connected

- zwo cam & finder scope

- counterweights

- SkyWatcher power tank 

I can be set up and aligned in around 20 mins by keeping it simple. 

Mine sits in the sunroom (I know it gets warm) all setup, it's far too heavy to move in one go but I have the scope, guidescope, camera and PPA setup in such a way that I slide it out of the mount in one piece, take the mount out then replace the scope etc. it only takes a few minutes. I then attach the power and laptop and I'm ready to go., probably 10 minutes max.

Yes. Setup completely in the dining room which opens up to the garden. Not a single wire or USB cable gets disconnected! The counterweight bar and weight goes on last obviously. I used to do the same with an AZEQ6 and dual rig as well. Needless to say, my back is much happier these days!

20201212_145522.jpg

Related to this, is there any issues with the scope and kit needing to cool down before observing? Would it be better to store in eg the garage (surely no more of a security risk than being in an obsy outside?)

6 minutes ago, philtodd said:

Related to this, is there any issues with the scope and kit needing to cool down before observing? Would it be better to store in eg the garage (surely no more of a security risk than being in an obsy outside?)

I will let others chime in here, but i don't believe leaving the scopes inside will have any detrimental impacts to the mirrors etc.... of course within reason.

I think the benefits of leaving the scope as close to ambient temperatures like you say means that it will need less cooling down time (if any).

Mine used to be all separated, but easy to get to in the garage, so close to ambient temp all the time, however, to lug it all outside and set it up was a pain so, I've now got the HEQ5 set up outside (covered with a BBQ cover) which just leaves the scope etc. This should make it a lot quicker (and easier on the back) to get going - but since I've done it and got some initial test shots of M42 in the HEQ5's new location its since clouded over... grrrr 

Much same as the non observatory imagers above, I try to keep everything in the smallest number of parts.  I'm causing raised eye brows this winter by keeping the tripod and mount together (without counter weights) and carrying this out in one - it's an AZEQ6, so a bit of a lump.  Then counter weights + optical train including camera, dew heaters and cables where possible.  Put the two together and finish off the cabling.

In the past and something I may have to return to is tripod and mount out separately and then put together with the rest.

Mount lives in the garden under a cover year round (after being careful for a while, this is easily the way I get the best value from it, even if it doesn't last as long).

Telescope + guide scope + cameras + filter wheel + focuser etc all come on/off as 1 unit and live inside.

Power box with mains cable + PSUs is seperate and stored in the house when not in use.

Edited by rnobleeddy
  • Like 1