NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi!

The Lazy Astronomer

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Some background and an introduction:

Always had an interest in astronomy and the night sky, but really got interested when l went on holiday to a villa halfway up a mountain (maybe just a big hill) in rural Corsica with my girlfriend's family. Skies were darker and clearer than I'd ever seen before, and I spent most nights sat out with a couple of beers looking at Jupiter and it's moons with a pair of bird watching binoculars.

Finally got around to buying my first scope a few months before the first lockdown (6" SCT). Looked through it about 4 times and quickly realised photography was going to be my passion, so started out fairly gently with a bit of planetary and lunar over the spring/summer and am now throwing money down the bottomless pit that is deep sky astrophotography 😁 

Most of the way there with building my setup now, just saving the pennies for a decent refracter at some point later this year. Managing to get some imaging/processing experience in using a Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED as a super widefield scope for an hour here and there when the clouds actually clear... On the bright side, it's given me plenty of practice at setting up and polar aligning quickly!

I'm currently working on my first proper deep sky image which is (surprise, surprise) M42. About 2.5 hours of data so far, so you can likely expect a poor quality, massively overprocessed image of that appearing on the forums sometime soon. 

As my handle might suggest, I'm trying to work towards as automated and remotely operated setup as possible, so I'm sure I'll be seeking plenty of advice when I inevitably run into problems doing that in the near future!

Sorry, quite a long intro in the end! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

Thanks all for the welcome. Clear skies forecast from 9pm tonight🤞

Hope so, site goes down for a few hours at 9 tonight. Still 100% cloud here at the moment 🤔