Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellamyra 80mm fl10 v TS 100mm fl7

7 hours ago, Carl Au said:

Oh dear, I am more confused than ever now. I know AstroPaul. If he is same bloke I am thinking about. Not seen since a lecture at the University of Hull a few years back. 

Carl, I assure you, whoever AstroPaul is, he isnt the same person as paulastro, cus that's me!  I've only been to Hull once, and I didnt go to the university 🙂.

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I feel 80mm, regardless of telescope type is a little on the small side for planetary observation.  True, it would give nice images but a 100mm aperture would provide better resolution.  As far as splitting double stars is concerned, there are doubles for all apertures, just decide how close you want to go and then pick the aperture to suit.  Personally, I would go for a used SW 102ED and be done with it.     🙂 

You have a point, I actually had one once. The scope is going on an AZ 4 do anything larger is out. Even the fl11 TS are offering is a bit much for it.

6 hours ago, fifeskies said:

If you don't buy the 4 inch now you will only end up buying one later  🙄

Its very hard to stick to just the one scope because a range of sizes/types allows you to cover all the kinds of targets out there.

Either scope will get you into the hobby so don't fret too much over it. There is nothing wrong with either scope.

However in my opinion for visual use a good 4 inch ED is a great place to start and it remains portable enough to take out to dark sites (on holiday etc)

(remember when we could go places before Covid 😱)

I don't expect to ever sell my 4 inch ED.

Other scopes have been and gone until I got this keeper.

I wish I had a £1 for every person I know who has sold their 'keeper' telescope 😄.

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

It's a head over heart decision really isn't it? Anyway head wins 1 - nil? I am going to buy a 4 inch ED fl7 refractor. I just need to consult with my financial adviser to make a final decision on which one. 

Well done! 👍

11 hours ago, paulastro said:

I wish I had a £1 for every person I know who has sold their 'keeper' telescope 😄.

I sank down into my chair when I read this, I think I've probably sold several keeper telescopes 😄

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

It's a head over heart decision really isn't it? Anyway head wins 1 - nil? I am going to buy a 4 inch ED fl7 refractor. I just need to consult with my financial adviser to make a final decision on which one. 

Well done, and be sure to let us know what you think of it after first light :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, johninderby said:

At least the paralysis by analysis phase is over and decision made. 👍🏻

I already had 4” scope so didn’t need another.

BCDB00F2-75FF-436E-8D3C-C3F0EE65C740.jpeg

Interesting. Which scope gives the better planetary views, the Starlight or the Stellamyra?

Just now, johninderby said:

Big Red is my home built scope using Japanese optics and it beats an fpl53 triplet let alone the Stellamira on planets. However not as portable as the StellaMira which is a great grab’n’go setup.

Hi John, did you write a thread for that DIY scope? Looks lovely and sounds very interesting!

So I am nervously waiting for an answer from TS about the FPL 53 version, they have plenty of the FPL 51 scopes I enquired about in error. 

Does anyone know the traffic light system they seem to have at TS. I am hoping 3 yellow bars means limited stock and they have one in stock now.  Surely they would be red if they had run out?

APM says a week or two. Ask them if it this is accurate.

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/apochromatic-refraktors/ts-optics/ts-optics-photoline-102mm-f-7-fpl-53-doublet-apo-2.5-focuser

Edit: Forget that just noticed the banner saying june. 😢😢😢

Edited by johninderby

Well as luck would have it I bought one of these today: https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-102ed-r-fpl53-refractor-459-p.asp and added a rather nice padded case to go with it. Since you lotchose my scope for me I thought I might pick the last bits myself, slast night I ordered a 2 inch WO star diagonal and a WO red dot finder. It seems I should be back in buisness very soon. 

• Like 5