Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellamyra 80mm fl10 v TS 100mm fl7

If you don't buy the 4 inch now you will only end up buying one later  🙄

Its very hard to stick to just the one scope because a range of sizes/types allows you to cover all the kinds of targets out there.

Either scope will get you into the hobby so don't fret too much over it. There is nothing wrong with either scope.

However in my opinion for visual use a good 4 inch ED is a great place to start and it remains portable enough to take out to dark sites (on holiday etc)

(remember when we could go places before Covid 😱)

I don't expect to ever sell my 4 inch ED.

Other scopes have been and gone until I got this keeper.

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

Its very hard to stick to just the one scope because a range of sizes/types allows you to cover all the kinds of targets out there.

Either scope will get you into the hobby so don't fret too much over it. There is nothing wrong with either scope.

However in my opinion for visual use a good 4 inch ED is a great place to start and it remains portable enough to take out to dark sites (on holiday etc)

Oh I have been in the hobby for over 50 years, I have had loads of scopes, but not for a while. About 10 years ago I had an achro fl 7 refractor, Celestron I think. Nice wide field and a ton of CA.

I think I was probably hoping to be informed the 80 mm was a no brainer, oh course there are many options. 

20 hours ago, Carl Au said:

The other thing which concerns me a little is it seems hardly anyone has bought one, two people as far as I can tell. FLO have 8 with r&p and 10 with a Crayford. I guess that tells it's own story about the limitations of a 80 mm visual scope? It's very pretty thou isn't it. 

If this is an only scope we're talking about then a 4" would be better. I'm just concerned because the OP wants the scope for planetary and double stars, so very high mag situations. The TS or Altair with fpl53 glass would be better in my opinion, and they would be the same price as the StellaMira so must be in the OP's budget. 

The more affordable TS 102 with likely fpl51 glass would be nice of course, but when pushing the mag high then hmm? 

So my question is, why not the scope below? 

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-102ed-r-fpl53-refractor-459-p.asp

p.s. I would love to see a StellaMira 102 f7 !  

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

The other thing which concerns me a little is it seems hardly anyone has bought one, two people as far as I can tell. FLO have 8 with r&p and 10 with a Crayford. I guess that tells it's own story about the limitations of a 80 mm visual scope? It's very pretty thou isn't it. 

I thought they had recently got a fresh batch in.

4 hours ago, Carl Au said:

Oh dear, I am more confused than ever now. I know AstroPaul. If he is same bloke I am thinking about. Not seen since a lecture at the University of Hull a few years back. 

Could be a different Paul.  Paulastro, not astroPaul, is a bit of a refractor nut and is a regular on SGL. I don't think he's been to Hull, though he does live in Yorkshire.  Hes recently bought a 102mm apo with FPL53. He may well chirp up when he notices this thread. 

Just now, mikeDnight said:

Could be a different Paul.  Paulastro, not astroPaul, is a bit of a refractor nut and is a regular on SGL. I don't think he's been to Hull, though he does live in Yorkshire.  Hes recently bought a 102mm apo with FPL53. He may well chirp up when he notices this thread. 

Yep, wrong bloke 

31 minutes ago, Lockie said:

If this is an only scope we're talking about then a 4" would be better. I'm just concerned because the OP wants the scope for planetary and double stars, so very high mag situations. The TS or Altair with fpl53 glass would be better in my opinion, and they would be the same price as the StellaMira so must be in the OP's budget. 

The more affordable TS 102 with likely fpl51 glass would be nice of course, but when pushing the mag high then hmm? 

So my question is, why not the scope below? 

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-102ed-r-fpl53-refractor-459-p.asp

p.s. I would love to see a StellaMira 102 f7 !  

I am pretty sure that is the same generic scope as the TS one. The specs are the same, they look identical 

37 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

am pretty sure that is the same generic scope as the TS one. The specs are the same, they look identical 

Yes it is the same as the TS Optics Photoline 102ED and the Tecnosky 102ED

25 minutes ago, John said:

think the TS ones and maybe the Altairs are Kunming United Optics

That was my understanding too. 

24 minutes ago, John said:

A lot of these scopes are made by the same manufacturer.

The Stellamyra is made by Long Perng. I think the TS ones and maybe the Altairs are Kunming United Optics 

That is a name I remember, yes Kunming. I am sure you are right John, thank you. I think I am almost at decision time now.

4 hours ago, fifeskies said:

If I  buy a 4 inch (Which is I increasingly more likely) I doubt I buy a 3 inch at all. It's the focal length, very nice glass and build quality that attracts me to the 80 mm. 

29 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Yes it is the same as the TS Optics Photoline 102ED and the Tecnosky 102ED

That was my understanding too. 

I have wondered whether the TS and Altair Astro scopes are the same, or whether there is a subtle difference. The TS Optics Photoline 102ED is listed as having an ED FPL-53 and Lanthanum doublet objective, whereas the Altair Astro Starwave 102  ED-R states FPL-53 but doesn’t mention Lanthanum in the mating element. Does anyone know whether the Altair Astro is using Lanthanum or not? The Tecnosky 102ED doesn’t mention Lanthanum either.

1 hour ago, Carl Au said:

I am pretty sure that is the same generic scope as the TS one. The specs are the same, they look identical 

Just to remove any possible confusion, the TS scope you link to in your original post (TS 102mm f/7 ED APO Refractor) is not the same as the TS Optics Photoline 102ED or the Altair Astro Starwave 102 ED-R mentioned later in the thread. The TS scope in the original post does not use FPL-53 glass (probably FPL-51) which is why it is cheaper. Just wanted to make sure you are all talking about the same TS scope when comparing with other makes.

Edited by AstroTim

21 hours ago, Carl Au said:

2 minutes ago, AstroTim said:

I have wondered whether the TS and Altair Astro scopes are the same, or whether there is a subtle difference. The TS Optics Photoline 102ED is listed as having an ED FPL-53 and Lanthanum doublet objective, whereas the Altair Astro Starwave 102  ED-R states FPL-53 but doesn’t mention Lanthanum in the mating element. Does anyone know whether the Altair Astro is using Lanthanum or not?

Just to remove any possible confusion, the TS scope you link to in your original post (TS 102mm f/7 ED APO Refractor) is not the same as the TS Optics Photoline 102ED or the Altair Astro Starwave 102 ED-R mentioned later in the thread. The TS scope in the original post does not use FPL-53 glass (probably FPL-51) which is why it is cheaper. Just wanted to make sure you are all talking about the same TS scope when comparing with other makes.

TS-Optics 102 mm F/7 ED APO Refractor

I just worked that out a couple of minutes ago myself, god this isn't easy.

So to clarify...

My main interest is planetary, lunar and double star splitting. I will of course do a little while light solar with whatever scope I end up with. I am looking for a nice quality refractor. So build quality aside the question is does the better optics and longer focal length trump the extra 22 mm. I assume the resolution with be similar on planets with the TS scope.

Come on Carl.  You can do this.  The whole world is watching you having a hard time deciding.

We’re with you in this because we’ve all been in that same situation.    

Take your time.  

5E09303E-9D8C-45D9-A31C-17DF6757BFBC.gif

Edited by Robindonne

33 minutes ago, AstroTim said:

The TS Optics Photoline 102ED is listed as having an ED FPL-53 and Lanthanum doublet objective, whereas the Altair Astro Starwave 102  ED-R states FPL-53 but doesn’t mention Lanthanum in the mating element. Does anyone know whether the Altair Astro is using Lanthanum or not? The Tecnosky 102ED doesn’t mention Lanthanum eithe

Having done a lot of research, I’m 99% sure the three FPL53 102ED scopes  are the same and have the same Lanthanum glass. Why some providers choose to mention it others don’t is a conundrum to me, as an example the suppliers of the Tecnosky in the UK  (Astrograph and Widescreen) don’t mention Lanthanum but the Tecnosky website does!! There seems to be some debate as to whether Lanthanum is actually a feature worth having anyway. 🤔 

Edited by RobertI

I feel 80mm, regardless of telescope type is a little on the small side for planetary observation.  True, it would give nice images but a 100mm aperture would provide better resolution.  As far as splitting double stars is concerned, there are doubles for all apertures, just decide how close you want to go and then pick the aperture to suit.  Personally, I would go for a used SW 102ED and be done with it.     🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl Au said:

I just worked that out a couple of minutes ago myself, god this isn't easy.

So to clarify...

My main interest is planetary, lunar and double star splitting. I will of course do a little while light solar with whatever scope I end up with. I am looking for a nice quality refractor. So build quality aside the question is does the better optics and longer focal length trump the extra 22 mm. I assume the resolution with be similar on planets with the TS scope.

One final thought, then I’ll shut up I promise! I have been pleasantly surprised by how much easier the 102ED F7 is to mount and use than my 100mm F10 achro (714mm FL versus 1000mm FL). The longer achro is more prone to wobble, eyepiece is less easy to reach on smaller mounts and slow mo controls can be harder to reach. Probably not a huge difference between the StellaMira and 102ED, but possibly something else to consider given your current mount. 

Edited by RobertI

20 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

The 120ED would be even better.  I have two 80mm ED's, a 102mm Flourite, a 127 triplet and a 150 mm SWED.  The 150 is my preferred planetary refractor.    🙂   

The ED150 would put the AZ-4 under a bit of a strain though ...... :grin:

The Skywatcher Evostar ED150 DS Pro Is Here ! - Discussions - Scopes /  Whole setups - Stargazers Lounge

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Isn't there a TS or similar version of the 102 that uses FPL53 and Lanthanum? I'm pretty certain I saw such a scope at the Kettering show almost two years ago.  Having said that, I'm going to follow John, in that even a non-FPL53 ED objective can produce seriously good planetary views. And like John I've seen this in the old Vixen 102 F6.5 ED, which whopped the socks off my vastly more expensive NP101-IS. I'd be inclined to stretch to a near 100mm aperture, preferably FPL53 if finances allow, but that isn't essential. Paulastro used a non-FPL53 102ED that was a capable all round refractor and a superb lunar and planetary scope. It's colour correction was by no means objectionable, and it played happily alongside my 100mm Takahashi.

Yes Mike, there is e version of this TS configuration with FPL53, which is supposedly the same as the Altair Astro version of this scope and also the Tecnosky version  - which is the scope I bought just before Christmas.  All three of these FPL53 versions are the same price - £899, or they were when I was considering purchasing this optical configuration.

As these models are all around the same price as the Stellar Mira 80mm f10,  perhaps one of these would be a better comparison than the cheaper non FPL53 version? 

As you say Mike, my vintage Astro-Tech non FPL version was excellent in every way, an impressive scope. Having said that, my new Tecnosky FPL version (in the limited opportunities I have had to use it so far) appears to be rather better.  In due course I'll post a review, but I have to say its performance has thrilled me every time I have used it.

• Like 2