NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellamyra 80mm fl10 v TS 100mm fl7

I take it this is for visual if on an AZ4 but what areas of visual are you most into? For Lunar and planetary I would go for the StellaMira hands down. I think the qaulity of the optics will outweigh the 20mm aperture difference for these objects as you won't be able to really push the TS on planets because it will have a bit of colour fringing.

For DSO's I'd go for the TS because at low powers you can make more use of that little extra aperture because the colour fringing wont show at low powers. 

It's weird that you should mention these two scope because these are two scopes I would also really like too! The TS for a spot of DSO imaging and the Stella Mira for the pure enjoyment of observing the moon and planets :)

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Chris is spot on, the StellaMira seems to be a quality scope with top optics so perfect for solar system. Although the TS optics is quite a bit cheaper I think, so not quite comparing apples with apples.  I had a similar dilemma last year except my choice was between the StellaMira 80mm and the 102mm Photoline (which has the same FPL-53 glass as the StellaMira). I chose the 102mm in the end (the Altair Astro equivalent) because of the increased aperture, and it seemed better value. But the StellaMira wouldn’t disappoint I think. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 3

Hate to be different but sub-100mm scopes have never really satisfied me. I've owned a number of good quality 70mm, 80mm and 90mm refractors but for me the smallest aperture that I find provides lasting interest is 100mm.

I'm sure the Stellamyra 80mm is a superb example of that aperture though. 

I've owned a Vixen ED102mm F/6.5 for many years now and found it an excellent and versatile scope so faced with the choice you give, the 102mm F/7 would be what I would go for.

It would be a strange world if we all agreed wouldn't it :smiley:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John said:

It would be a strange world if we all agreed wouldn't it :smiley:

No it wouldn't !   🤪

I love my 4 inch Vixen (103mm), compared to my 80mm scope the extra aperture makes a world of difference for visual, planets in particular.

The 80mm holds its own for wide field photography though.

• Like 1

Hmmmm. I have a love/hate relationship with telescope buying, an expensive thing to get wrong. I am ering towards the TS service 102 mm fl7 at the moment. Anyone have any idea who they are made by. They have a look of those old Lyra Optics frac about them.

32 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The StellaMira 80 f/10 is a great planetary scope period. Try looking through one and you will be impressed. Far superior for planetary to your typical shorter fl 80mm scope. 

I am sure you are right. Although I had a  80 mm Towa 335 fl15 which would have given it a run for it's money. It was however very, very long. However the extra 22 mm is quite a bit in a frac isn't it. 

They are both good scopes so you can't go far wrong but on balance I would recommend the 102mm scope, more so if it is to be your only scope as the extra aperture means it can cover more bases.

If you want 80mm f10 performance you can stop down a 102mm to 80mm and have a 80mm f9 scope which is close. You can't up the aperture of a 80mm scope.

I have aperture stops that I use with fast (f5 or so)  scopes sometimes to clean up planetary/luna, but so far I've never felt the need to use one with my 102mm f7.

Something else to consider is the relative size/weight/bulk and ease of handling although they are both at the easier end of the spectrum.

Disclaimer... I've observed with a 102mm f7 extensively. I've not used a Stella Mira 80mm myself but I am sure it is an excellent scope. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

So the 102mm fl7 scope, would I be better with a two inch diagonal? I was intending to use a Baader Zoom. Would I also use it with the two inch fittings provided? 

If you are intending to get 2 inch eyepieces for the widest true fields of view then a 2" diagonal is necessary. Otherwise a 1.25" diagonal is fine (1.25" diagonals also have the advantage of being  cheaper, smaller, lighter, and they take up less light path). 

The Baader zoom only needs a 1.25" diagonal.

Tack sa mycket. A 1.25 diagonal it is then. I am waiting for confirmation they have one in stock now. With a TS finder, hard case and diagonal the whole package is about 800 quid, not bad at all. It certainly looks solidly built.

However I could still change my mind if it's going to have a lead time of a year which seems to the current norm with Synta scopes right now. At least FLO actually have some available for sale.

Personally I would go for a 2 inch diagonal then you have the option of 2 inch eyepieces / filters etc, if and when you want to move that way.

The views of big DSO's such as the Veil Nebula and M31 with my 102mm F/6.5 Vixen and 2 inch eyepieces are some of the highlights of observing for me. Then you can bung in a really short FL eyepiece and get 200x plus on the moon, planets, double stars. Versatility :thumbright:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

whole package is about 800 quid,

Just be aware that this version of the TS Optics scope has lower quality (I can’t think of a better word) glass than the StellaMira and will show more slightly more chromatic aberration as @Lockie said, which might make things more even between the two scopes for high power planetary. 

I think Altair Astro also do equivalents of both 102 scopes. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, John said:

Personally I would go for a 2 inch diagonal then you have the option of 2 inch eyepieces / filters etc, if and when you want to move that way.

The views of big DSO's such as the Veil Nebula and M31 with my 102mm F/6.5 Vixen and 2 inch eyepieces are some of the highlights of observing for me. Then you can bung in a really short FL eyepiece and get 200x plus on the moon, planets, double stars. Versatility :thumbright:

I am liking my 102ED-R more and more. So easy to use, quick to deploy, always seems to perform optimally, amazing for high power planetary/lunar/doubles at one extreme and wide field at the other. I’m still learning about its abilities, but I am increasingly impressed as time goes on. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

I am aware of that, I would except completely colour free viewing. I am also aware of how absolutely gorgeous the Stellamyra is. Somehow I have to see through the cosmetics and think about performance, but it is hard to do that, just look at it. 

• Like 2

Isn't there a TS or similar version of the 102 that uses FPL53 and Lanthanum? I'm pretty certain I saw such a scope at the Kettering show almost two years ago.  Having said that, I'm going to follow John, in that even a non-FPL53 ED objective can produce seriously good planetary views. And like John I've seen this in the old Vixen 102 F6.5 ED, which whopped the socks off my vastly more expensive NP101-IS. I'd be inclined to stretch to a near 100mm aperture, preferably FPL53 if finances allow, but that isn't essential. Paulastro used a non-FPL53 102ED that was a capable all round refractor and a superb lunar and planetary scope. It's colour correction was by no means objectionable, and it played happily alongside my 100mm Takahashi.

Edited by mikeDnight

If going for 100mm scope would be inclined to get the better optics. Had a 100m fpl-51 frac a while ago and while views were good don’t think it would match the Stellamira 80 on planets. 

Would love the StellaMira 104mm ED2 Triplet but way more expensive.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellamira-telescopes/stellamira-104mm-ed2-triplet-f6-25-apo-refractor-telescope.html

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Just be aware that this version of the TS Optics scope has lower quality (I can’t think of a better word) glass than the StellaMira and will show more slightly more chromatic aberration as @Lockie said, which might make things more even between the two scopes for high power planetary. 

I think Altair Astro also do equivalents of both 102 scopes. 

Exactly this, I would agree with John (who is off course one of the forums visual astronomy guru's so knows his stuff!) if we didn't have to consider optical quality between to two scopes! If we were comparing like for like optics he should definitely get the 102mm for sure, hands down, no question. TS do a fpl53 version for around the price of the R&P version of the StellaMira as you say.

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

Just now, Carl Au said:

Oh dear, I am more confused than ever now. I know AstroPaul. If he is same bloke I am thinking about. Not seen since a lecture at the University of Hull a few years back. 

Will this be the only scope you have ?