Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Packaging.

Greymouser

I am getting a liitle annoyed with the standard of packaging offered by some companies. Today I got a parcel from Amazon, which consisted on one little plastic bottle of stuff for my wife, packed in a box way to big leaving the bottle to rattle around. Luckily it was inrtact, but why? A little while ago I got an eyepiece from Harrisons, packed in a Jiffy bag, totaly inadequate in my opinion. Luckily it seems to be fine, but it makes no sense. There have been so many recently, I have pretty much given up on Amazon and trying to give delivery feedback, as it just seems to be ignored. Other compoanies are guilty of it too and it is just mad.

It is totaly illogical though, at best a false economy. Except of course it must be costing Amazon more, to send much bigger boxes, never mind the damages that must happen from inadequate packing. Never mind being a waste of the earths resources, just how much is wasted because of this poor practice?

I doubt I am the only one who has thought this, indeed I am not, having sen several posts about it. Can anyone explain the logic to me though?

• Like 1

I think amazon pack stuff they dispatch from their own warehouses. I've had things (small ) inside boxes ( large) with twists of brown paper filling the spaces. My cat likes those. She is less keen on the little plastic pillows of air .

Amazon delivery around here seems to be done by self employed folk in white vans one guy (Romanian I think) who has delivered my orders a few times actually runs from van to door, rings the bell and once he sees movement through the glass of my door, runs off, but still manages a cheery wave when I shout 'thank you' at his receding figure ... He looked so stressed in the height of summer that I gave him a bottle of chilled water , they must be under terrific time pressure to fulfill the round amazon gives them for the day.

I've had many small items (both breakable and not) dispatched from China through the post, they inevitably come in a grey plastic bag, occasionally with a single layer of bubble wrap inside, and if you're lucky a flimsy white card box or plastic bag inside that. Remarkably nothing has ever arrived broken .

33 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I've had packages from Amazon where the "packaging" was just the address label.

I don't know if it was here, but I do recall being told recently that someone had ordered something like a wheelbarrow online and it had turned up just with the address label stuck to it.

James

• Haha 2

During WWII my grandad sent rabbits in the post from out in the country, to my mother in London, with just an address tag & stamp tied around the hind legs. I wonder what would happen if you tried that now...

Best packaging we've had recently included some wool insulating material in a delivery from the German deli.

Amazon consistently deliver stuff in ridiculously over-size boxes, but I'm glad the use reusable/recyclable paper padding.

Cheers
Ivor