Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Mr Spock

iOptron 150mm Rumak - first impressions

Sadly, I refuse to do an 'unboxing' thread - I'm sure people would rather look at a very nice scope instead. There's no first light due to my EQ5 being somewhere - who knows where - probably stuck at Felixstowe, so that will follow later.

The iOptron 150mm (6") is a Rutten-Maksutov (Rumak) rather than the standard 'Gregory' type. This means the secondary is not on the back of the corrector and part of it, but is a separate fitting. This allows the designer more freedom to correct aberrations.  According to reports, it can cover 1.4° with a 40mm eyepiece and is sharp right to the edge. I can't test that yet, so I'll concentrate on the feel of the scope.

The whole thing is a step above what you consider normal. Despite it's size, the scope, with dew shield and diagonal, weighs in at 7.4 kg. Not light, but below the EQ5's maximum 9.1 kg payload - just, with eyepiece. But the combination gives me the portability, absence of 'faff' and quality I need.

The tube material appears quite thick, as does the included dew shield. I've not measured it but you can see from the pic below the thickness of the dew shield. Not like the 'tin can' tubes of other manufacturers.

1077220829_D72_8338_DxO1024.jpg.43e14c2f419f19a4c6cf7c1504464cf1.jpg

On this image you can see the twist lock for the dew shield and the separate fitting for the secondary.

1020178913_D72_8339_DxO1024.jpg.9b6c1b416e82d72abd6ff93d21b4d931.jpg

The focusser is very smooth with no play at all. It has the same high quality feel as the rest of the scope. I kinda like the blue colour too. You can also see the covers for the collimation screws; I haven't taken one off yet but I believe there are two hex bolts underneath.

247688189_D72_8340_DxO1024.jpg.39fbdb122caa4019fd023042fb453f64.jpg

The finder is excellent. I've had a look through this and it's very sharp. Again there's a high standard of build quality.

645704816_D72_8341_DxO1024.jpg.c5070d13ebbdf680d531861f9a621939.jpg

Even the dovetail is better than you would normally get. It has an inset and end stops - perfect!

1222980383_D72_8342_DxO1024.jpg.1e118188c0d7a7a7c2d2dfb9cbd59b97.jpg

There's not much else in the box - just a few adaptors. I guess with this quality of scope they figured you'd prefer to use your own high quality eyepieces and diagonal rather than the inexpensive generic ones normally included. That adds to the quality feel and gives the impression the scope isn't aimed at a beginner, but is more of a next step upgrade.

1526385104_D72_8343_DxO1024.jpg.d41c554f0443ca88027af7fec6d7209c.jpg

So there we have it. A really nice scope which I'm sure is going to give me years of good service. It's a shame I'm a long way away from a first light, but, that's the way things are right now. 

• Like 18

It looks a great scope Michael :smiley:

I agree with you re: photos of the actual instrument rather than boxes :thumbright:

• Like 1

Looks very nice.  I often wondered about these a few years back, heard good things.  Looking forward to your first light report (when the weather breaks!).  

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

Nice. Is the secondary adjustable or fixed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazOC said:

Nice. Is the secondary adjustable or fixed?

Fixed. I don't know for certain but would think it's spherical like the Gregory, just a different radius to the corrector plate unlike the latter.

• Like 1

I see a box - so it’s an unboxing 😁

Very nice scope - should be good on Mars 👍

Edited by dweller25

Lovely looking scope! When the Weather Gods permit, the first light report will be eagerly awaited. Contrast on eg Mars would be interesting.....

Chris