SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Accidental Northern Lights

Hi everyone

While on my honeymoon in Scotland a couple of months back my wife suggested I take a picture of the Plough while we were out one night. I took a couple of shots, got back to the hotel room to review on my ipad and found a green glow in the corner. After a little bit of thinking (I was 3 whiskeys in by this point) I realised I had accidentally photographed the northern lights. Going back outside to take a couple more wasn't an option as the weather had changed and the next night was clouded over. This means I only actually had two pictures I could attempt to process.

Having never processed much like this before (my previous asto pics have been taken using my scope and a webcam/afocal iphone) I'm a little unsure if I've over-processed it and am now completely doubting if it looks good or not. I've attaached the before and after versions here and I'm looking for any advice or reassurance that Im atleast going in the right direction.

Obviously, in an ideal world, I would have realised what I was doing at the time and attempted to get a better framed version or done several exposures to create a composite image. But as it is, this is what I have to work with and really would like to make it look as good as possible as a souvenir from our honeymoon. Im aware there is a lot of noise in the originals as the ISO was set very high and I didn't take any darks (whiskey and love can make you make silly photography choices!)

(Please note the unedited version is a screenshot taken from lightroom as Im unaware of a way to put CR2 files in here)

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Raw 1.jpg

Raw 2.jpg

• Like 10

What a lucky accident.  I bet you were annoyed that you hadn't realised and seen it with your own eyes.

I think having houses in the foreground is the better option.  I like the one with the most green, but it does somehow look a little over processed, but processing is a tricky art especially if you are not used to it.

So well done.

Carole 

I had a similar experience in Finland. Was a clear night so headed out onto a lake. Set up camera on long exposure and took picture of myself and partner. When looking at the image on the PC when home there was a big streak across the sky, I certainly wasn’t there that we could see without the longer exposure. If I can find the picture will attach 

• 3 months later...