SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

Nah, just leave the heating on overnight in the caravan

I remember the last Welsh starparty the weather was appaling and Tom Yates, Jamie and myself stayed up late one night drinking wine under a gazebo..I got back to the caravan about 1 in the morning and Annette had the heaters going full blast...I nearly passed out!!

Oh Greg, and there's me telling my wife that its not an all male 'anorak' gathering, as people do bring their wife and family along.

She'll still be made welcome over a glass or two.. :)

They normally do come along Dave..But it would mean taking Lewys out of school for 2 days.. With his SAT's coming up it's not really an option.. :)

He'd learn a lot more with us than any 2 days at school..

Annette did suggest taking the caravan up to Wales but when I gave her the dates she wasn't too sure...

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem we had Kevin was ticking all the boxes..People want a dark sky but also want facilities and it needed to be central.

It was extremely difficult to find such a location..

There are three areas of the Country that are considered to be dark sky sites and I live in one of them! Even Keilder suffers from light pollution..

How much observing can you guarantee to get in a weekend in this Country??...That's why the facilities had to be good.

Just to confirm that it looks hopeful that we might have a clear night over the weekend. I was going to check the visibility of M33, M1 and possibly M79 from the site. If you want me to check the vis of another DSO using 15x70 binos let me know. I will also check out LP but I think it is only from Hereford not Ross or Ledbury.

I did a check of the facilities in the area yesterday -

Nearest shop/post office is in the village of Fownhope - 1 mile away

This village also has a butchers and hair saloon.

Pubs - www.thegreenmaninn.co.uk - 1 mile approx

www.bunch-of-carrots.co.uk - 2 miles

www.themooninn.co.uk - half a mile

www.crowninnwoolhope.co.uk - 3 miles

All these pubs are good especially the first two. All offer food and sell real ale

Nearest supermarket is on the south side of Hereford next to the River Wye about 5 miles. This new Asda store has a cafe if you nead a breakfast!!

If you want any other info about Hereford or surrounding area just ask.

Mark

Bit of a strange question, but I'm sure it's covered.

Security.

How safe is it to leave our kit set up while we venture off to the hospitality tent for a brew.

Have theft's ever happened?

Reason for asking is I'm planning on attending but will be on my own, just being cautious about my prized possesions.

Bri

Is there anything posted like need/don't need list??

I've been camping many times, is it just like that but with telescopes??

Do we park our cars by the pitches?

1. Just bring what you normally bring for camping..Along with some astro kit..

2. Yes..

3. Yes.

Don't forget to bring a bottle of red and some beer for the organisers....Just to be social.. :)

Don't forget to put your name down in the main thread so I can add you to the list.. :)

PS.. Did I mention to bring some beer and a bottle of red.... :)

This is shaping up to be quite a 'party'

Dave,

You've hit the nail on the head...That's exactly what it's supposed to be .. A "Party" With telescopes..

Where a like minded group can get together hand have some fun .. :)

I've noticed that a lot of people have offered to share their electricity, how will this work? See how many are attending then share it out evenly? or partner up with a few people??

Also, I'm presuming I would need a 240v commando style plug to a UK style extension lead socket.

I'm going spending some savings today... Go Outdoors will love me after this afternoon :hello1:

Me and Mrs WB would love to have come to this sky camp, BUT we had already pre booked and payed for Kelling, which unortunatly is the same weekend. We are going to miss seeing old friends and meeting new, oh well may be Autumn at Kelling.

Anyway hope you all have a great time in the West whilst we sunbathe in the East :mrgreen:

Note to all newbies to SGL and camping, GO

Archived