Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazers Lounge April 2009 Spring Starparty Chat Thread...

Greg

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

Just had another thought. This offer is first of all open to Psychobilly, as I know he will struggle to bring any kit, but if he cant make it, then the offer is open to all.

I have recently started using off axis guiding as my preferred technique. This means I still have the capacity for a guidescope and camera on my mount. This will be a WO72 with 0.8FR. You would be most welcome to attach your camera to this scope if we get any clear spells, as the guiding will easily be accurate enough at that FOV. Of course it will be limited to whatever target I am pursuing at the time, but will likely be a big nebula or large galaxy. (Own control method will need to be employed.)

If I take the SCT, which I may, then there will also be the opportunity to attach a dslr to the OTA, piggyback style, raising the prospect of having three cameras simultaneously imaging. This is my long term plan for all my kit, but as all great men (ahem) I can only do one thing at once..... besides, I have run out of USB capability on the lappy...

Greg, are you guiding that beast of yours? If not, with your polar alignment as good as you can possibly get it, take subs as long as you can before they appear to start to trail, then knock 10 seconds or so off. Do you have the cables etc needed for computer control of the camera?

Greg, are you guiding that beast of yours? If not, with your polar alignment as good as you can possibly get it, take subs as long as you can before they appear to start to trail, then knock 10 seconds or so off. Do you have the cables etc needed for computer control of the camera?

No TJ No guiding at the moment although that's the plan in the next few weeks..I'll probably wait till after Lucksall as I can see how you guys do it and what software you use..

Yes I have the cables and the software for the Canon..again I've only just sorted out the serial to USB converter..

The beastie will be coming to Lucksall so you'd be welcome to play with it for an evening..Stick it on your EQ6 and i'll use my ED80 on the HEQ5 Pro.. :(

With such a big scope, you might do well with an off axis guider. I take it you need a coma corrector with that monster? My imaging train should just pop right into that ota. Although the guider itself is nearly the price of a seperate scope, it weighs only a few grams. Im not sure I have the right fitting for the canon to get the spacing right, but you will get the idea.

Not a problem Micheal , that will give us the weekend to convince Dave to join SGL

Or better still....If he doesn't join SGL he has to keep the Admin/Mod team in beer for the weekend..

:(

Dont forget that each mains outlet is limited to 16A if both sets of people are sharing and both try to run a kettle and a fan heater they will trip out the supply and take out the mains to the scopes etc.

Regards

Kevin

Um, I'm not electricily-minded! Could I run a laptop and scope?

I haven't fully read this thread so if this has been said already I'm sorry.

Please remember to take dew prevention stuff (preferably active) with you. We were caught out BIG TIME at kelling last autumn. Never seen anything like it.

Ant

What would you recommend? Never had to think about this! I have a low-power car hair dryer!

OK Boys and Girsl,

Places are filling up nicely - we should have quite a gathering!!

We are getting close to the point where we'll need to share hookups - plenty of people have said they will share so I don't think its a problem, more to make you aware.

New batch of bookings waiting for me after a couple of days away from home, these have been processed and your confirmations will go out early next week.

If you are thinking of going, please DO come along - you'll need to let me know ASAP though, as I need to confirm numbers to the camp site at the end of Feb.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've just paid my fee for the weekend to join you all in our Campervan and cant wait.

It'll be our first ever Star Party so please look after us. We've only been into stargazing more seriously for about a year although we purchased our scope a few year ago and we are both working towards science degrees with the OU and this year we are studying quite alot regarding planets, stars the universe and much more.

I've also recently started Astrophotography but I have much to learn and look forward to your experience, advise and help.

post-16160-133877360136_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

Not long now, :)

Yep, it will be on us before you know it :mad:

The caravan was serviced in Feb, and the new motor will be nicely run in before having to pull it to Herefordshire (yep, I know they say that you don't really need to run new motors in these days, but I'm bit old fashioned in that respect :)).

So, we're all set to go, and very much looking forward to it.

215 miles for me, how about you guys ?

Dave

I'm really looking forward to this.

As a newbie, I'm hoping to learn loads and final meet some of you guys who have given me such helpful advice over the last few months.

And I like the sound of good pubs!

However, do you really want me bring my cloud magnets...?

Archived