NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

David Hinds Ltd - End of an era!

FLO

On 26/10/2020 at 18:02, RobertI said:

I also bought my current 8” SCT from their Tring shop in 1999. The David Hinds name has been around since I started in Astronomy and will be greatly missed. 

I bought my 8" SCT and 11" SCT from there under the same circumstances. Only a couple of years ago I bought one of my Vixen SLV eyepieces from them too as I recall. So sad to see this happening 😢

This is very sad :( 

Soon after I started,~ 1.5 yrs ago, I purchased a nice looking 12” mirror on ebay. Posting on here led to me contacting David Hinds Ltd and a very helpful email exchange with Daniel who even went to the trouble of asking his dad about it and confirmed that it was the 3980th mirror David had ground and by the looks of the original packaging likely unused. I still have that beautiful mirror and intend someday to build a nice big dob with it :)

Mark 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, markse68 said:

This is very sad :( 

Soon after I started,~ 1.5 yrs ago, I purchased a nice looking 12” mirror on ebay. Posting on here led to me contacting David Hinds Ltd and a very helpful email exchange with Daniel who even went to the trouble of asking his dad about it and confirmed that it was the 3980th mirror David had ground and by the looks of the original packaging likely unused. I still have that beautiful mirror and intend someday to build a nice big dob with it :)

Mark 

Does the serial number have a suffix 'A' on it? Either way, it's a mirror deserving of a very nice OTA. :) 

51 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Does the serial number have a suffix 'A' on it? Either way, it's a mirror deserving of a very nice OTA. :) 

Hi Robert, it doesn’t but according to Daniel, his father didn’t always mark them and unmarked ones are likely A or B grade. Yes it does deserve a nice OTA and i had big ideas for it even designing an ota in solidworks but then I got my Fullerscope 8.75” and it got moved to the back burner. One day 😉...

Mark

• Like 1