Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

David Hinds Ltd - End of an era!

FLO

David Hinds Ltd, a family business that has traded in one form or another since 1965, has announced they will close mid-late November. 

David Hinds was originally a manufacturer of mirrors for Newtonian telescopes that remain highly regarded amongst collectors.

He and his family later opened a retail store for astronomy products then became UK distributor for Celestron and Baader Planetarium accessories. 

From myself and everyone at FLO we want to thank Adam, Orla, Daniel & Nicki Hinds for their service and support over the years. We wish them well in whatever paths they choose to take. 

These are extraordinary times! 

Steve 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 15

Adam assures us he and his team will continue importing and distributing Celestron and Baader Planetarium products to the best of their ability until they close. 

Following their closure Celestron will continue to be distributed in the UK by Celestron Global. 

I would like to say the transition will be seamless but that is unlikely. The timing (leading up to Christmas!) and pandemic will result in more disruption. This situation affects all UK astronomy retailers. 

Hopefully most of our existing customer orders will be fulfilled from stock already enroute to us but thereafter we predict there will be a shortage of Celestron products (especially mid-high value items) until around Jan/Feb, when Celestron Global should have enough stock to continue distribution. We will begin contacting our customers with existing backorders tomorrow. 

Thank-you for your patience and understanding. 

Steve 

• Like 3

End of an Era indeed.  I was pleased to have had a nearly 30 years span of business and social involvement with David Hinds.  Along with Rob Miller, David and myself founded AstroSystems and used 100's of his optics over the years, all of premium standard.    🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

David retired from mirror making when he became a telescope retailer.  He wrote serial numbers on the rear of his mirrors which ran into 1000's, those with the suffix "A" were better than 1/8 wave, usually much better!     🙂  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Sorry to read this. I bought a Celestron SCT in 1999 from their retail shop which I visited to purchase.

I also bought my current 8” SCT from their Tring shop in 1999. The David Hinds name has been around since I started in Astronomy and will be greatly missed. 

I got my C8 from them just a few months ago.  Very helpful couple of phone calls with them sorting out some minor issues - they even helped me convince Celestron to update their firmware which was done remarkably promptly.

I chose them for the purchase, being the official Celestron distributor, figuring it was the safest route if I needed any ongoing support.  I guess I'm going to be on my own now unfortunately 🤔

Wish them well - sounds like a well deserved retirement.

That is very sad news - my dealings with them have always been been met with professionalism and a desire to help especially from their technical department.

3 hours ago, FLO said:

These are extraordinary times! 

Indeed they are ......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

That is very sad news - my dealings with them have always been been met with professionalism and a desire to help especially from their technical department.

I feel the same Steve, it was always nice to see the Hinds stand at shows, they lent an air of dependability and assurance to them, at least, that's how I felt.

Tim

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tim said:

I feel the same Steve, it was always nice to see the Hinds stand at shows, they lent an air of dependability and assurance to them, at least, that's how I felt.

Very much so, Tim. Such a big brand too, it is a shame that it isn't going to be a 'local' company picking up the reins.

Didn’t one of the Greenwitch chaps end up with Hinds when Greenwitch closed a few years ago? Sad to see another business close down. There’s usually a negative effect in the local community too. 

On 27/10/2020 at 17:49, Cjg said:

Didn’t one of the Greenwitch chaps end up with Hinds when Greenwitch closed a few years ago? Sad to see another business close down. There’s usually a negative effect in the local community too. 

Dr Lee Sproats 

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 16:44, FLO said:

Adam assures us he and his team will continue importing and distributing Celestron and Baader Planetarium products to the best of their ability until they close. 

Following their closure Celestron will continue to be distributed in the UK by Celestron Global

Do you know the situation with regards to distribution of Baader products?