NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Better gear, not so better results!

Rustang

So for a while now Ive been seeing possible upgrade items for sale with example pictures that the seller has taken with the gear and near enough every time Ive not been impressed with the images taken. I'm in no way shape or form blowing my own trumpet as I'm still very new to astrophotography but Ive felt each time that my images are better with the gear i have. This lead me to the question of "is better really any better"? or is it more down to the user? I like to try and get the best out of my gear before changing and yes you have to work that gear harder but I feel I have archived more that way with what is said to be good, but lower end equipment!

Thoughts?

Edited by Rustang

Sometimes imaging factors are unknown for example sky bortle. If you are pushing your gear to maximise what you get from it you may also be putting in the time to push your learning in post processing. Both will reflect in your images.

• Like 1

I think you are in the happy position of being practiced enough to be getting the best out of the equipment that you have.  It is also very much down to the user, if all you needed to be a top imager was to buy the most expensive setup, then anyone could do it.  The same applies to visual, some can see detail that seems invisible to others in the same telescope.  🙂   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Sometimes imaging factors are unknown for example sky bortle. If you are pushing your gear to maximise what you get from it you may also be putting in the time to push your learning in post processing. Both will reflect in your images.

That is true, i guess we dont always know the full conditions etc of the user. Post processing has a big part to play, I'm also very much trying to push that as well. It almost seems that there's a lot of unnecessary spending going on out there thinking it will just take the pictures for you and a lack of effort to make the most of you what you have including the data that's been captured which would be a real shame for some users. I do appreciate the fact its a case of each to their own sometimes though.

Edited by Rustang

Rus, having seen some of your images, I'd stick with what you've got.  It's not your equipment that makes your images so good, it's you!  The same for visual observing, 'upgrading' doesn't make a better observer either.  A visual observer doesn't need a Takahashi to have good views. Keep up the good work 👍.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Rus, having seen some of your images, I'd stick with what you've got.  It's not your equipment that makes your images so good, it's you!  The same for visual observing, 'upgrading' doesn't make a better observer either.  A visual observer doesn't need a Takahashi to have good views. Keep up the good work 👍.

Thanks Paul, not looking to upgrade anytime time soon, if I was to, it would probably only be the camera side of things anyway as that is where I'm having to really push it hard and it is showing where its struggling but none of which is to much concern right now. My SW ED 80mm and 72mm are keepers 😊. I'm always just keeping one eye out though and the above is what I'm coming across most of the time which is even more reason to stay with my gear, and also save some money! 

• Like 1

My limited abilities don't touch the sides of what my stuff could do in the hands of an expert allied with good skies.

EDIT - hit send before I'd done accidentally...  Some APODS have been done on the venerable ED80 Skywatcher.  A fine telescope indeed.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 1

This hobby definitely leans towards spending some real time with what you have (which is a long time with the lack of clear night's in this country!) learn, learn, learn and before you move on, make sure it's the right move because you might not need to spend the money yet or spending on the wrong equipment. Unless of course you just want to treat yourself, which we all do😊

Edited by Rustang

I think better quality equipment makes data acquisition simpler, possibly with less artifacts, and more reliable especially if used remotely. 

The final results rely on user skill in observation or post processing. 

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Sometimes it's easier to spend money than time...  If you have plenty of both then you're truly lucky!

I guess living in the UK can push you  towards that! 😊

Edited by Rustang

Recently I've had the time to spend getting to know my 8SE better, cleaning and maintaining it, I also flocked the inside of the OTA.  I compared the views of Mars through this and the local society's 12" Meade SCT... have to say the difference was marginal, perhaps a tad better detail through the 12" but in my mind the views were about the same, and seeing conditions could have been a factor (different location).  The ultimate test would surely be to have my 8SE setup right next to the 12" SCT (which is in the local 'dark skies' forest) and then dance between them viewing Mars, I expect the 12" would still give a fraction better detail but the physical difference between these two scopes and the challenges that a 12" SCT presents (not to mention the cost) for such a small improvement really wouldn't be worth it for me. 

This is something I'd been pondering recently myself - would a bigger SCT improve my views?  Of course, but not by much, and it might kill my back in the process.  The price of a 9.25" SCT also seems like it wouldn't be worth the money for what will surely be a very tiny improvement.  Like you, I think I'm now getting the best out of my equipment so the idea of upgrading has lost it's appeal for now.

• Like 2

Over many years of imaging the planets ive found the difference in detail between 9"to 12" aperture is very slight! Having imaged with a c9 c11 & meade 12" all well collimated & cooled, the c9 & c11 by far out performed the big meade on a regular basis, the c9 & c11 which performed with equal consistency! IMO & im talking planetary imaging only, more expensive telescopes claiming better optics offer no advantage what so ever at high resolution , good imaging software post processing can more than make up for any little gain so called better optics will give you! Some of the best planetary images ive seen have come from mass produced budget scopes!  ( Food for thought ) 😉

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rustang said:

there's a lot of unnecessary spending going on out there

Happens in every hobby...

15 hours ago, paulastro said:

A visual observer doesn't need a Takahashi to have good views.

...and I never thought I'd see the day when someone said this!😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

Happens in every hobby...

...and I never thought I'd see the day when someone said this!😂

Hi, someone just down the road from me! I'm in Hemel!  What I don't think helps is the need to feel like your still doing something with the hobby while waiting around for another clear night, you cant really do anything while waiting as such so you find yourself on the internet searching for your fix because you start to think you need new equipment! I have to admit I really have to fight the urge to do that sometimes. Something new may put a smile on your face for a short while but you probably don't need it plus you will have to wait a few weeks before you can use it anyway so that quick fix wares off plus it wont bring you anymore clear nights! ☺️ At least with other hobbies you will probably be able to use your new purchase straight away because your not waiting for anything! I do find the waiting around side of this hobby really difficult myself. I think i need to find another hobby along side this, I like to go fossil hunting down at Lyme Regis but that's also something I cant do all the time as its a 6hr round trip! 😒 Maybe I will dig out that badminton racket! 😄

2 hours ago, Rustang said:

I do find the waiting around side of this hobby really difficult myself. I think i need to find another hobby along side this, I like to go fossil hunting down at Lyme Regis but that's also something I cant do all the time as its a 6hr round trip! 😒 Maybe I will dig out that badminton racket! 😄

The trick is to spend your money on renting space at a remote observatory with more clear nights.

This has several advantages, you can't play with the kit and thus the itch to upgrade is reduced.  The odd UK clear night does not clash with that Badminton match you got nagged into playing. You will have lots of data to occupy your spare time. You won't have any spare money anyway.

Perfect.

Regards Andrew 

PS well it worked for a while but I got a visual setup to tinker with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/10/2020 at 21:07, jonathan said:

The ultimate test would surely be to have my 8SE setup right next to the 12" SCT (which is in the local 'dark skies' forest) and then dance between them viewing Mars, I expect the 12" would still give a fraction better detail

I managed to do this last night.  As it happened I think on the night my 8SE outperformed the 12" Meade quite convincingly, certainly in terms of inch for inch.

Last night's Mars surface detail wasn't all that interesting anyway, it was just a dark band with a slight bulge in the middle, though I didn't get to spend a lot of quality time observing it.