NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did I ruin my xt8 primary?

I am new to the hobby and looking for some help. I recently purchased a used Orion xt8 from approximately 2004. It was in awesome condition as it was rarely used but the primary looked dirty. I washed it using the cotton ball method on the Youtube videos. It really looked so shiny compared to when I took it out. When I look into the tube at the clean mirror it looks fine. But when I put a flashlight to it it looks like it's all spotted. Did I ruin it? Does it need a recoat? 

20200930_033654.jpg

20201001_145446.jpg

20201001_145427.jpg

Only need a couple of drops of washing up liquid in a bowl of warm water, change water and do it three times if its bad then prop it up vertically and rinse with plenty of distilled water, any obstinate water drops can be blown off with a rocket blower.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

13 hours ago, John said:

General rule is not to shine a torch on your optics !

Oh come now, if ever there was a time and a place for being a bit OCD about things, telescope optics surely are it.  Just don't touch the mirror surface ten times before putting it back in.

I used to find mirror washing difficult.  The advice I used was just one or two drops of washing up liquid in a bowl of tepid water, pure cotton swabs with no pressure and frequently changed, thorough rinse with distilled water.

But my mirrors looked a grubby mess doing it this way.  I figured that dirt is usually greasy, house cleaning teaches us that. So I added more washing up liquid than previously - much better result 👍

Definitely don’t fuss over a few spots that may remain.  If the mirror looks ok in regular day light it’s fine.  Keep your bright torch turned off !

32 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

I used to find mirror washing difficult.  The advice I used was just one or two drops of washing up liquid in a bowl of tepid water, pure cotton swabs with no pressure and frequently changed, thorough rinse with distilled water.

But my mirrors looked a grubby mess doing it this way.  I figured that dirt is usually greasy, house cleaning teaches us that. So I added more washing up liquid than previously - much better result 👍

Definitely don’t fuss over a few spots that may remain.  If the mirror looks ok in regular day light it’s fine.  Keep your bright torch turned off !

The water is pretty hard in Essex, isn't it?

I'm from Sussex originally - the water was so hard that a few drops of washing up liquid would probably do nothing. The water where I am now (Edinburgh) is so soft that a few drops will produce a bowl full of bubbles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

The water is pretty hard in Essex, isn't it?

I'm from Sussex originally - the water was so hard that a few drops of washing up liquid would probably do nothing. The water where I am now (Edinburgh) is so soft that a few drops will produce a bowl full of bubbles.

Thanks for that, I suppose it’s best to see what works for you in your particular area - what I do may not be good for others, but now mirror washing is easy for me.  As often stated, a grubby looking mirror works surprisingly well, so I don’t rush do do this very often.   And prevention is better than cure, keep dust out when kit is not in use, which lately in this rotten weather is definitely most of the time.

Ed.