Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Padraic M

APT connect to the correct camera

How can I set up APT so that it always connects by default to my imaging camera? I have an irritating problem that APT will regularly connect to my guide camera, even though that camera is already connected in Phd2.

I have created two APT shortcuts on the desktop, one specifying camera 2 (which usually is the guidecam) and the other specifying camera 1 (which is usually the imaging camera), but it looks like cameras 1 and 2 are not absolutely assigned to the ASI1600mm (imaging) and ASI290MC (guiding).

At APT startup, in the log it will say 'Connected to ASI1600mm' and then imediately say 'sensor size 5.6mmx3.2mm'. Then I know I have a problem as it's obviously not the 1600! I can usually sort it out by disconnecting, Shift-Connecting (to get the camera selection dialog), and selecting cameras 1 and 2 until I get the correct sensor size.

There must be a better way?

Thanks @bottletopburly I may well do that. 

Gathered the necessary evidence today - it's definitely happening intermittently but more often than not; and it doesn't depend on which camera is attached first. I thought that perhaps camera 1 is the first connected but not so.

I wonder where the camera numbers are applied? See the screenshot - latest APT version; 1600MM was attached when APT was started; 290MC attached afterwards. APT connected to the 290MC and correctly detected the sensor size, but incorrectly identified it as the 1600MM. 

The biggest hint that something is wrong is that the cooling aid isn't available, but otherwise it will happily let me use the 290mc. Causes lots of head-scratching especially if it's also connected to phd2.

image.thumb.png.dab1fc591f56b372e87a48f346a79ff7.png

1 hour ago, Padraic M said:

Thanks @bottletopburly I may well do that. 

Gathered the necessary evidence today - it's definitely happening intermittently but more often than not; and it doesn't depend on which camera is attached first. I thought that perhaps camera 1 is the first connected but not so.

I wonder where the camera numbers are applied? See the screenshot - latest APT version; 1600MM was attached when APT was started; 290MC attached afterwards. APT connected to the 290MC and correctly detected the sensor size, but incorrectly identified it as the 1600MM. 

The biggest hint that something is wrong is that the cooling aid isn't available, but otherwise it will happily let me use the 290mc. Causes lots of head-scratching especially if it's also connected to phd2.

image.thumb.png.dab1fc591f56b372e87a48f346a79ff7.png

Definetley one for ivo

• Like 1

Hi, this is just a guess as i don't have two cameras to try. 

Have you tried holding shift and clicking on the connect button? It will show the select camera type window. You can then select the third option and choose zwo camera,  on the right you can select the camera number that you want to use. 

Hope it helps. 

Hi Frank @Atreta, yes I've tried that. Once you select the correct camera, there's no issue. It will connect and work correctly. However, there's no indication which camera is #1 and which is #2, and the numbers are not consistently assigned. You can tell APT to connect to #1 or #2 automatically, but there's no indication which physical camera is connected except for the sensor dimensions. If I had two identical cameras, there would be no way to know other than to shine a lamp down the OTA and see if the camera sees it!

Can the camera name not be changed in the driver? Sorry not able to access my gear at the moment.

@spillage camera name can be changed in the APT settings, but only one camera name per APT instance. This name seems to be applied to whatever CCD camera is connected. So, regardless of whether I connect to CCD #1 or #2, it will call it whatever is set in APT settings.

I believe that's why the APT log says 'Connected to camera ZWO ASI1600MM' and then shows the sensor dimensions for the ASI290. Funny that when you disconnect, it uses the actual camera model name e.g. ZWO ASI290MC, not the name from settings.

@newbie alert using ZWO drivers for the cameras. ASCOM for everything else.

1 hour ago, Padraic M said:

@newbie alert using ZWO drivers for the cameras. ASCOM for everything else.

I've heard that the drivers latch onto the wrong camera's quite often, sure people just use the ascom asi drivers to rectify it.. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now