NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A bright new outbreak on Jupiter

JeremyS

14 minutes ago, Paz said:

Would that be doable visually? 

Not seen any visual reports yet. Although small, it does seem high contrast I.e. very white. So it might well be possible. Worth keeping an eye on in cases it grows or expands into the jet stream at that latitude.

I’m hoping @mikeDnight will get some clear sky to try and see it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Not seen any visual reports yet. Although small, it does seem high contrast I.e. very white. So it might well be possible. Worth keeping an eye on in cases it grows or expands into the jet stream at that latitude.

I’m hoping @mikeDnight will get some clear sky to try and see it.

I guess we all like a challenge! I've made a note if where it is compared to the GRS and will keep an eye out. 

If it is at all doable from this country I'll put money on @mikeDnight seeing it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Looking right now and not a chance. Would love to be part of it, but under gunned in every way.

Marv

Well was worth a try Marv. Looks like the correct hemisphere has been on show over the last hour or so.

An interesting looking feature :icon_biggrin: ..

Jeremy, I'd try to spot the spot but doubt if I'd be able to get a handle on it..

Seriously, why does it always seem that features like this appear at the worst time for the UK?? Comet Neowise was all but invisible from my poor northern horizon, Jupiter is just low and too unsteady to see the main belts lately, never mind this new spot, and Saturn is equally poorly placed at the moment.

I'm pinning all my planetary hopes for this year on Mars in a couple of months! 

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried the night before last with my ED120 refractor but the seeing was so poor that I was barely able to make out more than the two principle belts let alone any finer details :rolleyes2:

That scope has shown Galilean moon disks against the Jovian atmosphere so I might be in with a chance if we ever get another clear night and the seeing is steadier than observing through a waterfall !

@Stu, this is what Paul Abel told me:

The bright spot in the NTropZ is interesting- I imagine it might well be visible visually.  Indeed, it would probably look like Europa when it passes against the zone.  According to the latest Jupiter images, the outbreak is currently at CM2: ~ 67° (you can see the images here: Jupiter Image 2020/08/21(UT)).  This region will be visible on Jupiter this evening at around 2300UT (Sun Aug 23).

• Thanks 1