Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1396 & Elephant Trunk

Kinch

Normally my NB images take me a week or quite often more to complete, start to finish. This is one of the fastet I have ever done - started Wednesday night and processing completed on Friday afternoon. Two x  full night's data did the trick nicely! A total of 11 hours & 40 mins. (Full info & higher resolution on my web site).

Final IC 1396 Signed (1056 x 1386).jpg

• Like 18

Wonderful image, I love the colour rendition.  I'm about to rework my version of the Trunk based on processing knowledge people have given me here recently.  So I'm looking forward to seeing the full details on your website.

Update:  Just had a detailed look at your website (my first time, very impressive, lots of information, beautifully presented).  Your images are really outstanding and your site is a pleasure to browse.  I'm in awe.

Edited by rubecula
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Great image.  I bet you have some awesome skies in Spain. 

Carole 

Hi Carole, yes there are some great skies in Spain.....BUT not where I am unfortunately. When I moved to Spain I was not into astro-photography at the time. If I was...I would not have bought near the coast and most especially not along the southeast coast. I am plagued with both high humidity and bad light pollution......AND....no chance that my wife will consider a move just so that I can get better night skies. What to do.....I just make the most of it when I can and stick (for the most part) to narrow band imaging.

41 minutes ago, rubecula said:

Wonderful image, I love the colour rendition.  I'm about to rework my version of the Trunk based on processing knowledge people have given me here recently.  So I'm looking forward to seeing the full details on your website.

Update:  Just had a detailed look at your website (my first time, very impressive, lots of information, beautifully presented).  Your images are really outstanding and your site is a pleasure to browse.  I'm in awe.

Thanks so much Robin....glad you found the site interesting. In the early days, putting the site together was a lot of work.....now just adding the images as they come only takes an hour maybe.....as I put the info in and update links. Weebly is a free site hosting facility.....it was a great project for me....taking plenty of time but not costing anything.

(I have one page that still needs updating re my present camera. Note to self:...."get it done next week"! )

2 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Superb, I like your style in processing.. lots going on but nowhere near in your face... great job

Thanks for saying so....😀

29 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Great image and I too really like the colour and the way you process your images - very subtle but full of detail - the more you look the more you see - just how it should be IMHO.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

Thank you so much Adrian. I think I said it elsewhere, that my main objective has always been to bring out detail rather than colour.....even on wide field shots. I am evolving all the time though....I think I am bringing more colour in now....which is OK when it is not at the expense of the detail 😏

Interesting??? I don't know....

Actually within this image is a very small area of OIII (blue) signal that is NOT a star. I have seen such things reported before and named. Any thoughts - should I do so and if yes....where?

It is so small though !

Capture.JPG

54 minutes ago, morimarty said:

I'm currently trying to capture some Sll on this target.

Thanks Martyn - you might be interested....here is what my SII looked like:

SII (748 x 596).jpg

Edited by Kinch

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Excellent capture and process,

Thanks very much Dave. I guess you must also be plagued with light pollution being "just inside M25". Good luck....it has turned out to be a nice area for capture because the signal is relatively strong.

29 minutes ago, ultranova said:

Nicely done..not overworked

Thank you Paul. People might be surprised that I was working on this again this morning.....nothing that anyone might notice (except me looking at the full resolution). The tiny stars were 'bugging' me some....I was just trying to improve their colour...which I think I managed to do. I won't repost though...it was me 'just scratching' at a minor irritation 🤓

Edited by Kinch

Sometimes when processing it's knowing when to stop and call it a day...As it can drive you nuts trying to get the most out of the data and moulding into the best rendition possible.

I am sure you will get it just where you need it

Paul