Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

unknown make vintage 3 inch scope

yeah am almost thinking the same, tho right now with furlough and the drop in income plus other things that will limit what I can do over the next few weeks. Might have stretched if it was something particularly rare/special but will probably pass on it. Hope he does find a buyer that wants to bring it back to life tho :) 

Cash on collection? Doesn't sound promising.

I think that a buyer would have this more for its ornamental value than to do any observing through. You can't even be sure that it would take 1.25" eyepieces

Looks like a genuine old scope that has been fitted to a non-original mount.  It is unlikely to take modern eyepieces, though that might not be an issue if you have the originals. It could be worth something in three figures if in fair condition and tidied up. Do you feel lucky? 

I have a vintage Ross brass refractor which turned out to work superbly when kitted to go on a modern astro mount, and with the original 32mm diameter eyepiece temporarily replaced with a 31.7mm (1.25") dia eyepiece + a slip of card packing.  Totally blew away the 70/700 supermarket refractor I had a while ago.

thanks guys, yeah I have to say I'm tempted, rescue something vintage and all that. Remounted on proper rings it could work on a modern mount, just the eyepiece type. If it'd take 1.25 fittings then it'd maybe work quite well. Think's I'll pass right now tho, circumstances are going to limit me for a few weeks so probably best I don't add more things to do lol

Hi Dave,

It's a bit of a hotch potch isn't it?

The finder looks like it came off a Prinz 550 sold by Dixon's in the 1970s (see photo of one below). That was a 60mm F15 (I had one when I was 15) and I had good fun with it.. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/1GNmAR3qqZ6CP3u39

But the actual scope you're looking at looks very different..perhaps an old Fullerscopes OTA?

From the pics it's hard to see if the black finish on the tube is original or even a "wrapover" finish. In fact, looking more closely, I think that tube is wrapped in some black material..

I personally would give it a miss but if you are that close to the vendor... you're not risking much🥴🙄😁

Let us know what you decide to do?

Dave

Edited by F15Rules

hi Dave

Thanks for that info, yeah I thought Prinz for the finder too, looks like the OTA is leather/ette covered hard to tell if the tube is steel or brass. For sure the main scope is quite old given the drawtube focuser and fittings but it looks well put together.

As said earlier, I think I'll pass on it. Kinda have to stay reasonably isolated at the mo as I've an op in a week, so taking on another project likely not a smart move. I know me and I'll want to fiddle and try it out etc and as I'm not supposed to be lifting much for a few weeks can see that ending badly ;) 

Who knows tho, if it's still around in a few weeks I might get interested again...

Yikes, just discovered the taxi to the hospital will cost around £49, its only 24 miles away 😮 Guess I won't have many pennies to spare for this scope then as I've yet to sort the taxi home after :( 

Edited by DaveL59

The finder scope is very similar, as Dave says, to the finder that came on a vintage scope I picked up, which I believe is a Prinz 660. If it is the sane then it isn't a very good finder by modern standards,  but does its job if aligned well.

It is difficult to see the eyepiece fitting on the photos, but the scope I bought had the old 0.965" fitting. However, I found I could unscrew the end and fit a Vixen 36.4mm to 1.25" adapter (cost around £20) for a very easy upgrade. But, I can't tell if the scope in your post would convert the same.

I've attached a couple of pictures of my scope & attachments if it'll help.

All the best, Vicky

20200714_192428.jpg

20200714_192444.jpg

20200714_192744.jpg

20200714_192800.jpg

20200714_192832.jpg

• Thanks 1

thanks Vicky. Wow lucky you, the 76mm 660, I was after one of those a while back but lucked out. I've read they are a pretty decent performer so hopefully gives you lots of enjoyable views :) 

• Like 1

well I thought I'd ask for some measurements...

Seems its a 3-inch OTA approx 36-inch long, covered in maybe leather, brass ends.

hmmmm... can you tell my resolve to pass on it is wavering...

wow so in fact it's not in bad shape, drawtube very stiff tho. 80mm objective diameter tho likely more 75/76mm and what looks like a brass plossl type eyepiece which is the smaller 0.96 type. All the metalwork is non-ferrous and looks to be leather covering the tube. Will check at some stage if the EP carrier can be swapped to allow 1.25-inch ones to be used, not sure tho as it rotates with a pin limiting the turn, fine focus perhaps. Sadly he didn't know when his dad has bought it etc so no history other than it's old. Managed to fit the EQ5 small plate onto the wooden affair and set it up on the spare EQ5. Does need some TLC but am quite happy for the price paid. Had a quick peek propped on the rotary washing line at distant trees and optics look reasonably clear, out of focus but not so easy to mess with that one-handed lol.

A few pics.

image.png.2daa0b92a001003c5042f7fb4e9dca4b.png

image.png.02cba027bfb9309ad99f0a42caf288b4.png

image.png.a4bbcb5650134ca88df024a714580c83.png

image.png.bf1698d7b69e2f983d9046cc7d4163f5.png

image.png.aeaa3492da5fa42a511741b958fa2d8c.png

Man that is a long scope 😮 45 inches in that pic, tho the TAL100RS will be about the same once the focuser extends and the diagonal fitted.

Guess I may need to look out for a 0.96 diagonal and eyepieces now. I do have a Meade MA40 one already tho and no clue what the one fitted is FL-wise. Ah well, another adventure awaits... :D 

added:
Figured why the drawtube was so stiff - there's a lock thumbscrew on the side of the OTA, DOH! So it slides nice and easy then :) Seems well made and thought out and likely cost a fair few bob back in its time, what 40+ years ago maybe?

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 3

• DaveL59 changed the title to Any idea on this one? vintage 3 inch scope

Is it an astro scope (inverted view) or non-inverted view (terrestial)?  My Ross is terrestrial, with an erecting set that clearly increases the effective focal length so that the magnification with a 20mm Plossl eyepiece is crazily high.

Yours looks like an interesting purchase.

16 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Is it an astro scope (inverted view) or non-inverted view (terrestial)?  My Ross is terrestrial, with an erecting set that clearly increases the effective focal length so that the magnification with a 20mm Plossl eyepiece is crazily high.

Yours looks like an interesting purchase.

Original ad on the bay said it is inverted image...

Yep, it's an astro scope. Pretty pleased as it seems very well made, there's even a small level indicator on the end of the wood carrier. Am wondering if I can polish up the brass and somehow prevent it tarnishing, clear lacquer coat maybe?

Thinking on the diagonal/eyepiece side, think I'll get a 0.965 adaptor so I can use 1.25 inch bits with it, saves trying to collect a load of older 0.965 components that are a bit like rocking horse poo for good ones. Do need to sort end caps for it and perhaps better rings/caps and a finder that suits the scope a bit better. Not planning to get it set up on a dual rig like Stu has done with his peashooter/telementor setup tho, famous last words maybe :D 

Thanks Geoff, will have a scan around and see if I find something that suits. A nice brass cap would look good I think but not so easy to find. Could fashion one out of lead sheet I have kicking around, tho perhaps not a good material for long term given the health implications of lead these days plus it'll deform way too easy ;) 

Do want to order some tethered objective covers for the Swift HR/5's I'm repairing at some stage too, or find a case that suits them perhaps.

Methinks I've hit the limit on projects I can juggle for the moment, not to mention room for them all lol. Still need to overhaul that EQ5 mount it's attached to as it's very sticky on the RA axis. Wouldn't mind fitting an RA motor to it one day just for more relaxed viewing but that's one for a future day perhaps.

Edited by DaveL59

• DaveL59 changed the title to unknown make vintage 3 inch scope

thought I'd try ease the brass dew shield off as it seemed to move with a little pull to get a better look at the lens and give the objective a clean. Is very very tight on a white metal tube under it. I notice tho that the objective lens is also moving with the shield, not quite what I was expecting. Think this is going to take a while to tease off as clearly not something I can afford to distort or damage if its integral to the lens "cell". 

image.png.24190ff8e88bda971261a69b98eb242e.png

Not sure what that grub screw does, didn't change anything when I backed it off, guess I'll know once I get the shield and lens free.

image.png.33d0d51d2202224000042d19d9577e4f.png

Looks like there may be some sort of ring to secure the lens tho so maybe it should be separate to the brass shield, just age has got them seized to each other.

ack I've a few things I really have to get done by Monday, knew this scope would end up diverting me if I bought it :D 

OH NOOO!!!!! 😢 😢 😢

Seems that grub screw (countersunk as it tirns out not grub) does in fact hold the entire end on the tube and once removed it slides out fairly easy, tho the brass part still doesn't come away.

image.png.8719a667f310de38ae95227f318772c8.png

BUT... as I removed it I hear a plink and something flies out of the end

image.png.6b2c7547e8f83f1d2ec8b77c78aa17f7.png

Oh bother!

Guess that'll ruin the views a bit :( Anyone got a nice 79.4mm diameter F15 objective going spare?
edit: in fact it's likely F12 or F13 given the lens to max extension on the drawtube is 110CM.

Thinks maybe I shoulda left this one alone for a while before I decided to go and work on it. DAMMIT!!!

• Sad 6

just tried it out aiming at some distant trees and there's still a reasonable image, can't say on how distorted tho, but on stars for sure that section will be all over the place I bet. I guess I'll see what else I can do to tidy it up and keep an eye out for a 80/900+mm achromatic scope that's cheap and scavenge the objective to return this to good order once more. Gutted tho, I guess that's the risk with old glass and I lucked out in dismantling this time around. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

just tried it out aiming at some distant trees and there's still a reasonable image, can't say on how distorted tho, but on stars for sure that section will be all over the place I bet. I guess I'll see what else I can do to tidy it up and keep an eye out for a 80/900+mm achromatic scope that's cheap and scavenge the objective to return this to good order once more. Gutted tho, I guess that's the risk with old glass and I lucked out in dismantling this time around. 

Bad luck Dave. I feel awful for you. You were doing the right thing. At least you tried...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1