Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last of the Moravians?

billhinge

I decided I couldn't wait any longer so I've put my order in for what I believe is the last of the Moravian KAF-8300's

I decided I would go with the native filter wheel and OAG

Now its just waiting to see if the order gets delivered

G2-8300-II Moravian Instruments G2-8300 MARK II Monochrome CCD Camera with KAF-8300 CCD          
EFW-2XS-8 XS External Filter Wheel for Moravian Instruments G2 cameras with 8 positions for 31mm unmounted & 1.25" mounted filters          
OAG-2-M48 OAG Off Axis Guider Adapter for Moravian Instruments G2 Cameras - M48 threaded version

Thanks Kirster

Hope so 😀, I've had my eye on one for a while, I contacted Zoltan a few weeks ago and he said it was the last one with the demise of the KAF8300

I spent ages comparing images online from different cameras and decided I liked the KAF8300's the most

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Dispite the upward serge for cmos, and it's supporters suggesting that the chip is from the dinosaurs I'd still have one over a cmos.... best of luck with yours, a classic for sure..

So would I. I dare say the CMOS niggles (internal reflections, microlensing artifacts, funny OSC stellar colours, stellar haloes) will be sorted out in time but the demise of CCD is rather worrying.

Olly

9 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

As soon as I'm in the market for mono again it will be an 8300 chip.

Hi David

I think you had better start looking quick, afaik the 8300 is being discontinued if not already, and I think I bought the last Moravian G2-8300 who I'm told by Zoltan have no more stock, I think I heard the QSI's are also gone ? So if I'm correct that just leaves the Atik383L and QHY9S. I bought now since I didn't want to risk missing out once it starts to get darker 

1 minute ago, billhinge said:

Hi David

I think you had better start looking quick, afaik the 8300 is being discontinued if not already, and I think I bought the last Moravian G2-8300 who I'm told by Zoltan have no more stock, I think I heard the QSI's are also gone ? So if I'm correct that just leaves the Atik383L and QHY9S. I bought now since I didn't want to risk missing out once it starts to get darker 

I have an Atik 383L and 2 QHY9s and find them great workhorses. I’ve never had a newer CMOS camera so can’t compare, but the 8mp FOV, ease of calibration and cost makes them still pretty decent, and 5.4um pixel size suits my equipment. 

I was very tempted by the QHY9s, its a good price now with the extras, the G2 was significantly at the top of the price range with best cooling and the mid priced atik had a deal on filters so I wasn't sure which to go for. I decided you only live once  and went with my heart 

My Moravian has proved to be brilliant, the quality of it is amazing, it always achieves -20 no matter what the weather, no ice build up, I am so impressed that I doubt I will ever sell.

I have a G2-8300 with integral FW and an Atik 383 with EFW2 on the dual rig, the cooling is superior on the Moravian camera. In SGP the Moravian images always look cleaner on preview, but the downloaded subs are near identical.

• Like 1

I found this table very informative when I was choosing to purchase. It is evident that there is variation in the cameras, and that the Movarians seem to be the most consistent.  My QHY9 has a lower read noise than my 383L, and the QHY9 subs always looks slightly better.   However once calibrated and stacked there is no difference that I can see from my dual rig.   I run mine all at -20.  The QHY9 will occasionally fluctuate between -19 and -20 throughout the evening, but the Atik never moves off -20.  

586207928_KAF8300table.thumb.jpg.55a3cb8de77247ed879bc3cd9d3a2dbd.jpg