NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6-R Pro play between mount and tripod

SupernovaF1

Hello all,

I have recently adquired an EQ6-R Pro and though I feel the construction is in general really good and looks very sturdy, I have noticed something that is a bit disappointing to happen on a £1,200 mount. I am hoping it is something I havent looked into and can be corrected before I contact the seller.

After finishing the assembly and tighten everything up, I see a considerable amount of rotation between the mount and the tripod when I try to rotate it around the vertical axis, if that makes sense. I dont need to do a lot of force, but a gentle push will do to see the mount moving... 

The process I follow is:
- Mount the mount on top of the tripod with the spigot/dowel into the mount slot.
- Tight the tripods upper bolt and afterwards the accessory tray bolt
- Tighten both azimuth knobs
- Tighten the altitude knobs 

I have tried to tighten the knobs snug but not too much to avoid damage on the mount.
I have also tried to tighten a bit furthert he nut that holds the spigot/dowel to the tripod but it was very tight already.

Not sure if there is a lack of friction between tripod or mount, or if I should crank further the tripods fasteners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much

Edited by rideway

Hi rideway,

The azimuth adjustment knobs should prevent the mount head rotating by being snug up against the North pin. I can't see how it can rotate if this is the case.

Also, you don't want lot's of friction between the tripod and mount otherwise you won't be able to adjust the azimuth during polar alignment.

Is the North pin fitted to the tripod?

Edited by parallaxerr

I tighten the threaded “through” bar (don’t know what else to call it) as tight as it can go by hand and there is no movement, the mount and tripod are solid, but still allows pa smoothly. I can’t see how yours would have movement. As Parallaxerr said, an absence of the North pin would cause the problem 

Hi all - thanks for the quick responses.

I have tried to upload a video but fails mid way (error -200, its 250mb so should be fine). I am uploading it to youtube right now.

@parallaxerr the north pin or dowel is indeed fitted. Its in the configuration with the counterweight between the two legs when due north, though i can imagine that makes any difference. The mount doesnt rotate great amounts, we are talking of 2 or 3 degrees perhaps. I agree with your comment regarding too much friction.

@Jiggy 67 I tightened it pretty well, it was slightly hard to undo it but still showed the same effect

@knobby Im working on that ;)

Edit: Now with the video

Edited by rideway

The mount should be a tight fit to the tripod top with just the central shaft done up hand tight, no azimuth screws fitted or spreader plate attached.  If its still loose or even rocking then something is stopping the faces from sitting down properly.       🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos.  I would have expected to have seen the scuff marks more distributed across the mating faces, it looks as though the head is bearing on a small land surrounding the shaft aperture.     🤔

• Like 2

This morning I realised that there are fretting marks at the location where the mount should purely rotate around the tripod (due to the AZ bolts exerting a torque). If thats the location that constrains the mount's translations... my feeling is that either the mount or tripod are dimensionally wrong. I measured 0.3mm difference between internal diameter of the tripod and outter diameter on the mount.

image.png.f308dafb1314d9fbe3806cf24840aff4.png

Cut a strip of thin plastic (packaging or food container possibly), drop it in the hole and then try the mount. It should take up the difference in the size of the boss and hole to stop it rocking.

• Like 2

I tried something similar to plastic but the mount didnt fit well and didnt want to force it in order not to damage it.

Regading the ink, its a good idea but not sure it will tell me something different than the skids apart from the scenario that the dowel is too long, which i dont think it can happen as the pocket in the mount is very deep.

I put everything inside the box and sent an email to the seller. Even if it could be solved crudely with some tape, plaster or similar... its not what I expect from a £1,200 mount and it should be either repair, replaced or returned in my opinion.

Edited by rideway

I think thats exactly it @MarkAR! That is what i was exactly trying but it was too tight and as he says you need to keep cutting it... Many thanks for the link.

If the mount was out of warranty or if it were cheapish, I could live with the tape solution, but  I dont think is acceptable. Sadly because otherwise its a great mount.

4 minutes ago, knobby said:

How old is it ? I'm pretty dubious about quality control on recent Chinese mounts as they've had to rush them through to catch up with factory being closed due to Covid.

You read what went through my mind this morning... all the rush of adjusting to the high demand.

I bought it three weeks ago and received it a couple of days ago. So essentially brand new.

Machine and fit tolerance on this sort of thing is always pretty shabby, some more than others. I think you've just got a really poor one. The trouble is will the replacement be much better !

Hi

I just received  a second hand EQ6-R that I bought last week, it was originally purchased Sep 2019 but the previous owner is buying a bigger mount so I got a good deal

I know its no consolation but I just checked mine and thankfully it doesn't wobble like yours, seems quite solid although I would prefer it on my Berlebach tripod to the metal one (the metal eyepiece holder seems pretty useless and more of an annoyance)

@MarkAR I understand what you mean, you never know. But given the difficulty I had to find information of other people with a similar issue on other SW mounts, I would say yes, this is a very poor one and hopefully a one-off. Unless, as @knobbymentioned, they have recently lowered their quality checks...

If the replacement is nearly as bad as this, thats my relationship with SkyWatcher finished. Either that or I would get a cheaper one second hand that I dont mind botching with. 

@billhinge thanks for the feedback. Glad yours is good, as a high quality mount should be :)

Edited by rideway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rideway said:

@billhinge thanks for the feedback. Glad yours is good, as a high quality mount should be :)

Thanks for this, it's made my mind up re the tripod. I'm going to get a new EQ6-R top plate for my Berlebach, that way I can use my existing tray spreader and chains to brace the legs rigid. Had a look for a commercial option for the Skywatcher  steel legs but doesn't seem to be one. 

Raul has contacted us via email and on Facebook regarding his new EQ6-R Pro mount and his concerns that the mount head can be forcibly rotated when clamped to the tripod. He mentioned he has a discussion ongoing here so I thought it might help if we also respond here. 

We are happy to dispatch another tripod for comparison and even another head if required. He also has the option of returning both via our 30-day returns policy for refund. No problem. But, looking at the video, we don't currently think either is faulty. If the head 'rocked' when clamped then that would be a problem but most owners of EQ6-R mounts will be able to grip their mount head and forcibly rotate it, a little. We don't think this is unusual. The tripod top and mount head are cast metal, not machined metal. 

Hope that provides some assurance. 

Steve 

Thanks for your answer Steve. I have just replied to your email.

As said on the email, I am only unsatisfied with the mount's quality but not with FLO's service, which was exceptional as usual.
Cheers

Edited by rideway