SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6-R Pro play between mount and tripod

SupernovaF1

Hi. Rideway, just a shot in the dark here, but  worth a look see.
The centre bolt which serves to spread the tripod legs via the legs plate, also has the top thread containing a combined ferrule and 
hand wheel to help the tightening. If the bolt has been removed for any reason, the plain washer may have  slipped off the bolt,
so possibly it might make a difference  when tightening, as the bolt may contact the mount base before full tightening can occur.
However, if there is no chance that bolt was ever removed completely from the tripod assembly,  then  this  post  can be ignored.
I know the washer is a thinnish one anyway, but adding another might allow complete matching of the two parts.
if it is down to surface irregularities, then that's a different kettle of fish, and I apologise for wasting your time 🙂.

Ron.

• Like 1

Hi @barkis of course it isnt a waste of time and thanks for the advice. I did however check it had the washer on the centre tripod stud bottoming against the tripod. Even tried without the washer in case the washer was erroneously there and maybe making the stud bottom too early but as I expected, it made no difference.

Ta!

I ordered a new top plate for my Berlebach from Germany, just arrived this afternoon. Very nice as you would expect

Fitted to the bottom of the EQ6-r. No swivel with just bottom bolt tightened

Much easier to fasten as well

45 minutes ago, billhinge said:

I ordered a new top plate for my Berlebach from Germany, just arrived this afternoon. Very nice as you would expect

Fitted to the bottom of the EQ6-r. No swivel with just bottom bolt tightened

Much easier to fasten as well

Very glad it all fits well and without issues @billhinge! Those Berlebach seem to be worth their weight in gold :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 09:04, Endolf said:

I had exactly the same issue, I found a "solution"....

Glad it worked. Increasing friction should indeed help.

What worked best for me and another person who contacted me was using thin tape on the walls to remove the clearance. As in this video suggested by @MarkAR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnZLn-xz1k
I ended up returning it as it was brand new though and hopefully the next one doesnt show the same issue. 

• 10 months later...

I had the same problem with my EQ6-r pro, the dowel pin on top of the tripod was loose. The dowel pin is black and screws into the top of the tripod. It has a thin nut that tightens the dowel. The azimuth bolts tighten against this square dowel, but if the dowel isn't tight against the tripod the mount will rotate as the dowel tilts.
I hope this helps,
Monty

• 3 weeks later...

So was IT better? Im facing same issue now

On 16/07/2020 at 12:33, SupernovaF1 said:

Glad it worked. Increasing friction should indeed help.

What worked best for me and another person who contacted me was using thin tape on the walls to remove the clearance. As in this video suggested by @MarkAR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnZLn-xz1k
I ended up returning it as it was brand new though and hopefully the next one doesnt show the same issue. 

It did work in terms of getting rid of the play but i didn't think it was acceptable for a brand new mount so I returned it.
Couldn't get a replacement  as it was in the middle of the first lockdown and there wasn't stock, so got a second one from RVO for less that didnt show the problem and works fantastic (<0.5" RMS @1200mm FL). 

If you cant return it, try the tape. You could start with PTFE or some thin packaging plastic (~0.5mm).

15 minutes ago, kotitonttu said:

So was IT better? Im facing same issue now

I've just checked mine after having read through this thread, and there is a small amount of lateral play, however it really doesn't seem to cause any issue during use. Phd2 reports typical RMS of 0.6 - 0.8", which I probably could improve if I spent some time tweaking settings, but don't really have a need to presently (stars look nice and round, plus my image scale is 1.74"/px).

I would advise trying it out and seeing what results you get before worrying about it. 

6 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

I've just checked mine after having read through this thread, and there is a small amount of lateral play, however it really doesn't seem to cause any issue during use. Phd2 reports typical RMS of 0.6 - 0.8", which I probably could improve if I spent some time tweaking settings, but don't really have a need to presently (stars look nice and round, plus my image scale is 1.74"/px).

I would advise trying it out and seeing what results you get before worrying about it. 

Thanks for checking. I thought that it would Be normal. Just had to Be sure (Im kind of too OCD with this kind of things 😅) i made plastic spacer so there is no play. I bought this More than month ago so there is this 2 year warranty If its defect. I can check guiding results at August since sun does not set here at summer. Hope The Best. Thanks again.

16 hours ago, SupernovaF1 said:

It did work in terms of getting rid of the play but i didn't think it was acceptable for a brand new mount so I returned it.
Couldn't get a replacement  as it was in the middle of the first lockdown and there wasn't stock, so got a second one from RVO for less that didnt show the problem and works fantastic (<0.5" RMS @1200mm FL). 

If you cant return it, try the tape. You could start with PTFE or some thin packaging plastic (~0.5mm).

Can toi clarify what IS RVO