Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First and almost last light of the Heritage 150p

Chris

As you can probably tell by the title I almost wrote off my brand new Heritage 150p by stupidly balancing it on the bonnet of my car to try and catch a glimpe of Jupiter between two adjacent roofs! Thankfully, I caught it before it fully toppled over so no damage done. As karma would have it, it gave me a much needed adrenaline boost to keep me awake at 1am.

Despite the drama I did get to see Jupiter, although I don't have a good selection of eyepieces now days. I used my highest power eyepiece, the 12mm Plossl at just 63x mag and could see nice sharp weather belts and a bulge where I would expect to see the GRS. Moons on show of course strung out either side, and the low mag helped to showcase this. I've got a 2.5x Barlow tucked away but I made a mental note to purchase something like a 6-7mm EP to fill the gap. 

Before I nearly dropped the scope I performed the usual new scope alignment of the RDF and I think the RDF and bracket may be the Heritage's Achilles heel - a) There wasn't enough travel on the RDF to align it to the main scope! and b) Using the red dot I could see two red dots! I'm guessing a reflection in the little RDF screen? The second red dot was fainter at least so it only took a second to work out which one was the impostor! Still, the RDF can only be relied on for rough ball park locating of objects. I shall see what I can do to improve this :) 

I defocused Vega to check collimation after observing Jupiter, and it was a tad off (but then again I had just nearly dropped it). One turn of a screw and it was spot on, so whilst I was in the area of Vega I searched nearby for the Ring Nebula. I quickly found it with the 25mm Plossl before switching back to the 12mm to try and resolve the smoke ring. The street lights were off at this point so I was able to clearly see the ring with direct vision, it almost felt like I could glimpse colour at times but I know I must be imagining this. Having said that I was convinced I had seen colour in the ring years ago with an 8" Dob. With Newtonian's I can't even blame it on chromatic aberration! 

The summer triangle was really rich in stars so a joy to surf with the 25mm Plossl, I wouldn't mind getting a 32mm back in my life as well as a 6mm eyepiece. I'm yet to do a Ronchi test but the Fresnel rings of a defocused Vega looked good and promising so I'm not worried. I've actually been really impressed with Skywatchers QC recently, and not so much with Celestron's which is weird considering they come out the same factory.

Anyway, I was starting to burn the candle at both ends, so against my wishes to carry on exploring I decided to call it a night.   

• Like 14

Thanks John, I've just replied on the thread. There is plenty enough travel on the RDF itself, so I think it's to do with the angle of the RDF bracket. I will play with how it's seated second time out :)

9 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Yep the finder on the 130p cannot line up without modification. Mad!

Mark

Not great considering a lot of people buy these for their first scope :( 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

Nice report Chris, glad you’re enjoying the scope. Hopefully it’s ease of use (apart from the finder!) will enable you to do lots of observing.  I also observed Jupiter and was surprised at the detail considering how low it was. My H130P is currently sitting atop my SkyProdigy mount - must get it out for a session soon. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Thanks 1

I do hope you were filming this incident Chris, just for our amusement 😉

In all seriousness a lesson for everyone about not balancing kit on angled surfaces, tears before bedtime result often.

The rdf sounds like they have copied the design from the 130 and ‘improved’ the rdf itself by providing a generous second dot, always adds to the fun in use.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Lockie said:

There wasn't enough travel on the RDF to align it to the main scope! 

I have exactly the same problem with my C6 SCT! You would think scope manufacturers would get a basic thing like this right... 😡

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lockie said:

Before I nearly dropped the scope I performed the usual new scope alignment of the RDF and I think the RDF and bracket may be the Heritage's Achilles heel - a) There wasn't enough travel on the RDF to align it to the main scope! and b) Using the red dot I could see two red dots! I'm guessing a reflection in the little RDF screen?

Chris, I have had this issue too and the RDF for me is so off is crazy. I have contacted FLO and they are sending me a replacement RDF to see if its the issue. But thats the only thing I have been disappointed with. My only other issue really is a little shakiness due to the extension tube, but once it settles its great. Last night saw Jupiter and moons pretty clear using the 10mm EP and 2x barlow. I myself had a scan of Vega as well but couldn't find the ring nebula as of yet, but managed to see the double doubles 🙂

• Like 1

If they can get mirrors figured* to a fraction of a wave of light one would think/hope they could get an RDF mounted ok !

* hmmm time @Lockie got his Ronchi looking at the RDF bracket !!

It is very odd if the 130 suffered the same as well, dont they listen to the dist./vendors, they must get grief from newbies (and oldies !) trying to sort it ?

PS I have an Evo 9.25 and Ive not even fixed a finder on it !! I like sighting and a hop or two ;)

Edited by Corncrake
  • Like 2

On 24/06/2020 at 07:40, RobertI said:

Nice report Chris, glad you’re enjoying the scope. Hopefully it’s ease of use (apart from the finder!) will enable you to do lots of observing.  I also observed Jupiter and was surprised at the detail considering how low it was. My H130P is currently sitting atop my SkyProdigy mount - must get it out for a session soon. 

Thanks Rob, I've managed to sort out the finder by moving it as far back on the finder shoe as it will go, this seems to have done the trick!

I only got a short look at Jupiter as I was balanced so precariously, but I could tell it would have been good with more time and magnification. I might have to try again from my wife's office on the first floor with the window wide open and see how the thermals behave, or even better jump in the car somewhere. 

Your H 130p looks a good match for the SkyProdigy, I'm going to try out the H 150p with the Starquest mount. 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 07:46, Alan White said:

I do hope you were filming this incident Chris, just for our amusement 😉

In all seriousness a lesson for everyone about not balancing kit on angled surfaces, tears before bedtime result often.

The rdf sounds like they have copied the design from the 130 and ‘improved’ the rdf itself by providing a generous second dot, always adds to the fun in use.

I should have filmed it! It would have been a good lesson on what not to do 😂 RDF all sorted,,apart from the second dot, I'll just live with that :) 

• Haha 1

On 24/06/2020 at 12:12, Ags said:

I have exactly the same problem with my C6 SCT! You would think scope manufacturers would get a basic thing like this right... 😡

Yup! you would certainly think so considering all the wizardry they do with the optics!

On 24/06/2020 at 14:02, Dannomiss said:

Chris, I have had this issue too and the RDF for me is so off is crazy. I have contacted FLO and they are sending me a replacement RDF to see if its the issue. But thats the only thing I have been disappointed with. My only other issue really is a little shakiness due to the extension tube, but once it settles its great. Last night saw Jupiter and moons pretty clear using the 10mm EP and 2x barlow. I myself had a scan of Vega as well but couldn't find the ring nebula as of yet, but managed to see the double doubles 🙂

Glad you're all sorted now with the replacement RDF FLO sent. You wait until you upgrade the 10mm, you'll get an even better view :)

You'll nail the Ring nebula now you've got the finder aligned. There are two bright stars a short distance apart just below Vega, just aim bang centre with you 25mm eyepiece, centre the round smudge, then put the 10mm in to see it as an oval ring :)  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lockie said:

You'll nail the Ring nebula now you've got the finder aligned. There are two bright stars a short distance apart just below Vega, just aim bang centre with you 25mm eyepiece, centre the round smudge, then put the 10mm in to see it as an oval ring :)  

Can't wait 🙂 also just getting using to everything being upside down lol.... and navigating

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Did this very thing last night and saw M57 for the first time (Mak 127, Panoptic 24mm), I was really surprised how visible it was even staring at directly. As you say, like a very small smoke ring 😃

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/06/2020 at 14:50, Lockie said:

Glad you're all sorted now with the replacement RDF FLO sent. You wait until you upgrade the 10mm, you'll get an even better view :)

Now adding a very different smartphone setup as worried about Phone hanging off my new BST lenses

108655691_278109553636793_2350969425843860797_n.jpg

• Like 2