NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Product Alert - Heritage 150P

24 minutes ago, Sousa said:

Wonder if one of these could be transported in a cabin bag in an airplane, and serve as a travel telescope (in a different mount).

Welcome Sousa to SGL.

My Heritage 130P OTA weighs about 3 kgs and a mount just over 3 kgs so the Heitage 130P is cabin bag acceptable. The new scope both OTA and mount weigh 7.5 kgs so I am guessing that the new OTA will weigh about 3.5+ kgs.

On 11/06/2020 at 17:56, paulastro said:

Why wouldn't most beginners be better off buying the Skyliner -150P Classic Parabolic Dobsonian which only costs £20 more? 

I agree, Paul. The H150p looks really good from a cost, aperture, weight and portability point of view, but the Skyliner kind of gives you more for very little extra.

The H150p clearly wins from an OTA weight, portability, storage point of view, and you can probably stick the OTA on quite a light weight mounts (I'm keen to try it with the Starquest mount) I think it's basically going to be really popular as a grab n go and holiday scope :)   

On 11/06/2020 at 16:44, Mark at Beaufort said:

It would be nice if you could purchase an Astrozap light shroud to fit this 150 flextube OTA. 

Wheels are in motion for the shroud before the scope arrives :) I've just ordered some black A2 craft foam, and super strong sticky back velcro so I can make a tube that fits inside the scope attached to the secondary cage. I want it so the shroud collapses inside the OTA when not in use so it can stay attached semi permanently :)

• Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 17:56, paulastro said:

Why wouldn't most beginners be better off buying the Skyliner -150P Classic Parabolic Dobsonian which only costs £20 more? 

For me it’s all about the portability Paul, it makes this scope a very different proposition from the Skyliner. I agree, for only £20 more if you are looking for a dob then the Skyliner is a cracking buy, but if you want a reasonable aperture in a small portable package then the compromises are worth taking.

I would always use one on a tripod with my Giro-WR Mount as I agree, the table top mount doesn’t work for everyone.

• Like 3

I think most astronomers should own one of these or the H130- for travel or the quick unexpected session- or just plain old observing. Personally I respect the simple, rugged, nothing go wrong focuser and the ability of these light mirrored scopes to hold collimation. The secondary on the H130 has never been touched and the primary is never far off even after a snowmobile ride.

I'll burrow into areas with this scope in the snowmobile bag that would surprise many here- zero problems with the scope or mount.

• Like 2

A nice travel scope, but very close in price to a Skyliner 150P. That ota would great as a second scope for anyone with a light weight mount eg AZ4, AZ5, AZGTI etc.

I imagine, even with a 6x30 finder and eyepiece the weight would be just scraping 4kg. It's a shame Skywatcher doesn't sell the stand alone ota cheap...

On 12/06/2020 at 11:18, Mark at Beaufort said:

The new scope both OTA and mount weigh 7.5 kgs so I am guessing that the new OTA will weigh about 3.5+ kgs.

I weighed the OTA and you're pretty close, 3.9kg 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lockie said:

here is my first look and comparison to the H130p video:

Great video, Chris. Well done! 

Looking forward to the follow-up ones.

I must admit when I first saw you in the shot, I thought you'd been in a Bavarian Bierkeller, wearing lederhosen, but I realise it was a chest camera 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I good product review Chris as always. I look forward to further updates on modifications. The 150P does look like a good travel scope with an appropriate alt/az mount. As you know I have the Heritage 130P which I use on a Skywatcher AZ Pronto which works okay - not sure how that mount would perform with the 150P.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Thanks everyone! I'm itching to get the H 150p out under the stars. Or with almost permanent twilight at the moment, the planets, Moon and a few doubles 😃 

I'm loving the 150p. Had it since Tuesday 😊 just one thing to sort with company. But had a good view of saturn and tonight is looking promising again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dannomiss said:

I'm loving the 150p. Had it since Tuesday 😊 just one thing to sort with company. But had a good view of saturn and tonight is looking promising again

Excellent, and good luck for tonight! My ecliptic view consists of my house, and a bunch of other peoples houses. I would need to take a 2am trip in the car somewhere more open to see the planets. Luckily, this happens to be the perfect scope for little outings like this! 😃

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Excellent, and good luck for tonight! My ecliptic view consists of my house, and a bunch of other peoples houses. I would need to take a 2am trip in the car somewhere more open to see the planets. Luckily, this happens to be the perfect scope for little outings like this! 😃

My view... But darker now 😊 just so windy 

IMG_20200621_205125.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Lockie said:

FLO, please let me know if you want me to place this on a separate thread, but here is my first look and comparison to the H130p video:

HI Chris,

In your video, the rear of the primary mirror looks mirrored, rather than frosted. Can you confirm?

10 minutes ago, Pixies said:

HI Chris,

In your video, the rear of the primary mirror looks mirrored, rather than frosted. Can you confirm?

It's reasonably mirrored, but I'm not sure it's of much use though? What are you thinking?

11 minutes ago, Lockie said:

It's reasonably mirrored, but I'm not sure it's of much use though? What are you thinking?

There was a post recently where a replacement mirror had a 'mirrored' rear surface. The recipient was a little concerned and cue much musings on what had happened.

Here it is:

Edited by Pixies
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

There was a post recently where a replacement mirror had a 'mirrored' rear surface. The recipient was a little concerned and cue much musings on what had happened.

Here it is:

I've just had a quick read through the thread, and I would definitely just pick the mirror that puts up the best image at high power regardless of how the back of the mirror looks.

It's a curiosity, but I don't think it's of much consequence. Maybe as someone mentioned, the first polished side didn't come up to scratch in the Synta factory? Or maybe this is just Skywatcher's new thing? but I'm sure grinding the back of the mirror flat then polishing is less cost effective so I'm leaning towards the former.

Yes it would be curious to see Jeremy's rear primary, if it's frosted it rules out the later. 

I have a Ronchi eyepiece so I can test the mirror a bit more scientifically than observing. I want to do a video where I look at the Ronchi-gram? of both the Heritage and my Starquest 102, but I wish I had bought the photographic Ronchi eyepiece so I could more easily share my findings! I might have to just bite the bullet and buy both lol