Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very close conjunction at the end of this year

Can't see that this has been flagged-up anywhere, but on on Dec 21 this year, Jupiter and Saturn will pass within 6 arcminutes of each other. Closest approach will be at 1300(UT), but UK sunset will be about 4pm and they will still be 8 degrees above the horizon an hour later.

Got to be worth a try!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Can't see that this has been flagged-up anywhere, but on on Dec 21 this year, Jupiter and Saturn will pass within 6 arcminutes of each other. Closest approach will be at 1300(UT), but UK sunset will be about 4pm and they will still be 8 degrees above the horizon an hour later.

Got to be worth a try!

Thanks for that, it is in the Celestial Events Calendar already so fingers crossed for clear skies!

7E50C23C-F264-4FDD-9CB8-5844AD5A16F8.png

6 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Got to be worth a try!

Cheers .

Completion of my 68th trip around the Sun is within three hours of that, so I will make the effort for sure....:grin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saganite said:

Cheers .

Completion of my 68th trip around the Sun is within three hours of that, so I will make the effort for sure....:grin:

That"s a lot of miles you"ve covered.🤣

• Haha 1

I knew about this some time ago and have it down as my 'must see' event of the year.  However, I wouldn't mind another reminder a few days before, just in case I've forgotten all about it by then 😄.

2 hours ago, bish said:

That"s a lot of miles you"ve covered.🤣

It is indeed.

39,740,000,000...I think. No wonder I feel more tired these days....:grin:

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Saganite said:

It is indeed.

39,740,000,000...I think. No wonder I feel more tired these days....:grin:

Please tell me you used something that was eco friendly to do your travel!!

If not, the carbon footprint you left could be the beginning of another planet! 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Six arcminutes of separation? Come on, that's rather unimpressive compared with an actual occultation. 😉

Apparently a few of you were not paying attention when Jupiter last occulted Saturn in 6857 BC. No problem really. You’ll get two more opportunities, both in the year 7541. Just keep eating your Wheaties. 😃

Below is my rendering of the most recent occultation of Saturn by Jupiter in case you missed it. Of course Saturn was actually behind Jupiter as many of you would have seen, but I’ve pushed Saturn to the front through the artifice of X-ray vision.

JupiterSaturn.JPG.51dd2fc9e5384b71511f3123b7f9602a.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I remember right, i recall an old family story about one of my distant relatives sitting around a fire, chipping on a piece of obsidian and looking up in amazement, asking "what the heck is going on up there?"

"That's not a good sign" he muttered, where as he smashed his finger! 😖

• Haha 1