Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Demonperformer

Very close conjunction at the end of this year

Can't see that this has been flagged-up anywhere, but on on Dec 21 this year, Jupiter and Saturn will pass within 6 arcminutes of each other. Closest approach will be at 1300(UT), but UK sunset will be about 4pm and they will still be 8 degrees above the horizon an hour later.

Got to be worth a try!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Can't see that this has been flagged-up anywhere, but on on Dec 21 this year, Jupiter and Saturn will pass within 6 arcminutes of each other. Closest approach will be at 1300(UT), but UK sunset will be about 4pm and they will still be 8 degrees above the horizon an hour later.

Got to be worth a try!

Thanks for that, it is in the Celestial Events Calendar already so fingers crossed for clear skies!

7E50C23C-F264-4FDD-9CB8-5844AD5A16F8.png

6 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Got to be worth a try!

Cheers .

Completion of my 68th trip around the Sun is within three hours of that, so I will make the effort for sure....:grin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saganite said:

Cheers .

Completion of my 68th trip around the Sun is within three hours of that, so I will make the effort for sure....:grin:

That"s a lot of miles you"ve covered.🤣

• Haha 1

I knew about this some time ago and have it down as my 'must see' event of the year.  However, I wouldn't mind another reminder a few days before, just in case I've forgotten all about it by then 😄.

Look promising:

image.thumb.png.da565be83dc2264ed88dce827f40c803.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bish said:

That"s a lot of miles you"ve covered.🤣

It is indeed.

39,740,000,000...I think. No wonder I feel more tired these days....:grin:

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Saganite said:

It is indeed.

39,740,000,000...I think. No wonder I feel more tired these days....:grin:

Please tell me you used something that was eco friendly to do your travel!!

If not, the carbon footprint you left could be the beginning of another planet! 😁

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Six arcminutes of separation? Come on, that's rather unimpressive compared with an actual occultation. 😉

Apparently a few of you were not paying attention when Jupiter last occulted Saturn in 6857 BC. No problem really. You’ll get two more opportunities, both in the year 7541. Just keep eating your Wheaties. 😃

Below is my rendering of the most recent occultation of Saturn by Jupiter in case you missed it. Of course Saturn was actually behind Jupiter as many of you would have seen, but I’ve pushed Saturn to the front through the artifice of X-ray vision.

JupiterSaturn.JPG.51dd2fc9e5384b71511f3123b7f9602a.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6857BC was before even my time. What was the duration of the entire event?

15 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

6857BC was before even my time. What was the duration of the entire event?

Back then I didn't have an accurate watch, so it was hard to tell. 😉

If I remember right, i recall an old family story about one of my distant relatives sitting around a fire, chipping on a piece of obsidian and looking up in amazement, asking "what the heck is going on up there?"

"That's not a good sign" he muttered, where as he smashed his finger! 😖

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Here are images of Jupiter and Saturn taken around 00.30hrs BST on 11 Jul 2020.  They turned out relatively well, unlike a set I took a few days ago. I suspect 'seeing' is a major factor.
      Kit: CPC800, ASI224MC, ADC, captured with Sharpcap, processed in Registax6, best 20% of 5000 frames.  The monochrome Saturn image was taken in infrared.
      I did not have a sightline for Mars, or for Comet Neowise.😦

• By Armaan Sandhu
      I have been trying to see Jupiter for a while now, but all I am seeing is a whitish blob with a tinge of yellow and blue at the ends. 
      I have tried several filters, but to no avail. 
      I am using an Astromaster 130eq, Celestron with magnifications ranging from 20mm to a 6mm plus a 2X Barlow lens. 
      many suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
      regards, Armaan. 

• By Victor Boesen
      Perhaps the title is lying a tiny bit... After sleeping for one hour I woke up not able to fall asleep again after numerous attempts. I took the obligatory gaze outside at the bright summer sky with some faint noctilucent clouds towards the north. Jupiter and Saturn looked beautiful in the south and that was when I felt a sudden itch to get out my small grab and go setup. I quickly grabbed my tripod, mount-head and telescope to head downstairs to the parking lot where I quickly set up the scope. Cool-down was almost not a problem because of the hot 20 degree air which was very comfortable observing temperatures.
      Starting with Jupiter, after I had achieved focus on Altair, the two main cloud bands very obvious together with three of its moons hovering like pin-points around the perfect round sphere. I've previously been a little disappointed with the view of Jupiter with this small Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro but I blamed it on my own patience and this morning I proved myself right. After studying the planet for a couple of minutes I noticed the Ganymede shadow transit located just above (almost on the edge of) the northern equatorial belt and letting the planet drift through the FOV at 90X magnification with the 4.7mm explore scientific eyepiece the shadow together with the bands popped at me at times of great seeing. The moments where you're almost "falling into" a better and better planetary image is truly amazing and the small 72mm scope did a very good job also resolving the shadow transit as a "globe" rather than a dot. Only rarely could I tell the slight variations in the two main cloud bands of Jupiter but this was very difficult with only 72mm.
      Saturn proved to be equally fascinating just like every other time I point the telescope towards the ringed planet. Immediately slight banding was visible on the planet and the rings were very defined with the Cassini-division visible in moments of good seeing but really standing out in brief moments of very good seeing. The small evostar 72 has no problem on Saturn whereas more patience is required with Jupiter because of its low contrast features. Saturn never disappoints.
      Moving on to Mars I noticed how it had increased slightly in size since I observed it last time about a month ago. The southern polar cap was still very obvious but for some reason I recalled it being even more noticeable last time I observed Mars but I could be wrong. Right above the polar cap was a dark spot which extended to the planet's equator but not covering the entirety of the disk's width. I didn't notice any features on the northern half of the disk. The evostar does a surprisingly good job on Mars, which often causes problems for other doublet refractors with trouble correcting the red part of the visible spectrum. The evostar doesn't have much unfocused red light around the planet and the view isn't "mushy" like it would be in cases of a badly corrected refractor.

I love my grab and go setup but I also feel like I need a higher magnification eyepiece since my current weapon of choice is my 4.7mm explore scientific 82 degree eyepiece which delivers about 90X magnification. I've almost always felt I could easily push magnifications to the plus side of 100X and the Nagler zoom 3-6mm is ranked very high on my wish list:) August this year marks the first year of owning the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro and I haven't had a moment where I didn't love it. The size of it is perfect and the supplied flight case for the scope is airline portable together with some room for accessories. The optics are very good even for decent planetary observing like it was the case this morning, and I feel like I haven't utilized the scope's abilities entirely just because I think it could take even higher magnifications. I have also used it for astrophotography on my star adventurer which yields very good results with the OVL field flattener and my old Nikon D3300.
      This post ended up being quite long but I hope it was worth the read anyways. If you're considering the Evostar-72 I once again highly recommend it if you couldn't already tell from this post;)
      Clear skies, Victor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.