Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar eruption today

Peter Drew

Did nobody else witness the spectacular outburst on the Sun today? I thought it would be all over the solar section!  I turned my Ha scope on to the Sun at my first opportunity at about 12.15 and was immediately confronted by an intensely bright eruption which rapidly evolved into an enormous column full of fast moving globs of material.  The whole appearance changed practically in real time.  It seemed to be coming from just over the approaching limb so hopefully it signalled the arrival of an active area.  The sequence lasted about 20 minutes and I think I caught it shortly after it started.  Rather exciting after a long period of fairly low activity.  Reprising it on GONG showed that it was indeed short lived.      🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Did nobody else witness the spectacular outburst on the Sun today? I thought it would be all over the solar section!  I turned my Ha scope on to the Sun at my first opportunity at about 12.15 and was immediately confronted by an intensely bright eruption which rapidly evolved into an enormous column full of fast moving globs of material.  The whole appearance changed practically in real time.  It seemed to be coming from just over the approaching limb so hopefully it signalled the arrival of an active area.  The sequence lasted about 20 minutes and I think I caught it shortly after it started.  Rather exciting after a long period of fairly low activity.  Reprising it on GONG showed that it was indeed short lived.      🙂 

I think we need a single location to post solar events on SGL now that activity is increasing. I’m never sure whether to use the general ‘heads up’ forum (as I did today) or this one. Quite often in recent months there are separate threads running on the same subject.  Maybe all solar events should be posted here - under solar?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Highburymark said:

I think we need a single location to post solar events on SGL now that activity is increasing. I’m never sure whether to use the general ‘heads up’ forum (as I did today) or this one. Quite often in recent months there are separate threads running on the same subject.  Maybe all solar events should be posted here - under solar?

That was the idea of the Celestial events heads up section Mark. If people post in there then you can follow the forum and get alerted to it. I know it is for other events too but there aren’t so many that it’s impossible to follow. Would that work for you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wheresthetorch? said:

Small sunspot just appearing. (Not my photo - from 'The Sun Now' app.)

Screenshot_20200530-134251~2.png

Thanks for the heads up. Just popped both Ha and Whitelight scopes into the AZ100 and saw exactly this (well a bit better actually 😁👍)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

That was the idea of the Celestial events heads up section Mark. If people post in there then you can follow the forum and get alerted to it. I know it is for other events too but there aren’t so many that it’s impossible to follow. Would that work for you?

Ok - no worries Stu. It’s just the shock of having so much solar activity to report suddenly 😁

• Haha 2

Tee hee!

On that note, I’ve just watched what I assume was a small flare form very quickly, initially as two bright spots away from the surface. It developed as I watched, elongating in two directions then fading away, all in the space of about ten to fifteen minutes. Probably the beat I’ve seen of these, and was in a similar place to the one I saw this morning so presumably there are an active region there?

• Like 3

Just now, Stu said:

Yes it was Alan. A very quick moving bright prominence basically. Really great to see.

I see an Ha set up in my future, long term, but I keep missing these things in only WL.
Don't get me wrong, WL is and was great today, but I want more, sounding like Oliver now 🙂

26 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I see an Ha set up in my future, long term, but I keep missing these things in only WL.
Don't get me wrong, WL is and was great today, but I want more, sounding like Oliver now 🙂

I’m a big fan of White Light too Alan, the detail can be gob smacking when conditions are good and there is an AR visible. The faculae and small spot was good to see today, even looked a little 3D with the spot nestled into the sip of the faculae.

I have recently rediscovered my enthusiasm for Ha though. The views in my PST Mod are amazing, plenty of nice proms around to look at today for example. I would like some full disk views at some point, and probably a double stack but the high power views this scope delivers in binoviewers are fabulous.

• Like 2