Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron powerseeker 114eq help!

Hello guys. Wondering if anybody can help. I’ve got the above telescope. However as I’m a beginner I’m unsure on the controls and cannot get my head around the instructions! Just a few questions...

how do I use the slow motion controls properly? 
how do I move the telescope around without loosening all fastenings? 
shall I put on the motor? 
whice eyepiece is best to use to view the moon? Also shall I use one with the Barlow lens? 

thanks in advance. Any help greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, Jennifere20 said:

Hello guys. Wondering if anybody can help. I’ve got the above telescope. However as I’m a beginner I’m unsure on the controls and cannot get my head around the instructions! Just a few questions...

how do I use the slow motion controls properly? 
how do I move the telescope around without loosening all fastenings? 
shall I put on the motor? 
whice eyepiece is best to use to view the moon? Also shall I use one with the Barlow lens? 

thanks in advance. Any help greatly appreciated 

Hello and welcome to SGL. Here's a useful link to show you how the mount is used to point around at different points is the sky http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/ . The slow motion control on the side of the mount is used to keep an object in the centre of the eyepiece, this is the same as using the RA motor. The other slo-mo control should only be used to make fine adjustments. This one has a limited amount of movement so you should release the locking handle and move the telescope manually as shown in the link and then retighten it and make adjustments using the slo-mo cable. 

Hi mate I had the powerseeker , if you are going to change eyepieces go for one to use with your next telescope so you don't waste money , I did put a motor on mine does help with tracking targets , the hardest part is getting your head round the EQ flip , just set up in the day time so you can see what your doing and play about getting the telescope look at target in the South while polar aligned North 

Great telescope have fun and enjoy the  hobby

Great telescope, great views, but I found it difficult to find my way around with sky with it, as stated unlock and move manually and use slow motion controls to fine tune and track,  the motor should help with the tracking.

My slow motion controls used to slip on mine making it impossible to track objects, hopefully yours will be better.

I suggest only using the low power eyepiece which will give clearer views, make findings targets easier, and they will drift out of view slower.  I found it impossible to use the Barlow on this scope as the magnification was too high and stuff just drifted before getting into focus.

This was my first scope about 12 years ago.  

Carole  

Thanks for the advice. Im

not sure I’ve got the slow motions on the right sides? The instructions weren’t clear I had a nightmare. Please can you check whether I have? And which is the locking handle? Thanks 😬

5CE9BBB4-1E2B-498A-96F0-C9BC0778447B.jpeg

Hi @Jennifere20 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Looking at the image, it looks OK to me. 

You may find that you can only go so far before the RA & DEC grinds to a stop. This is normal for small EQ mounts; so you will need to undo the locking bolts and redo every few turns of the slo-mo's. It is or can be frustrating for newbies. Do not go past this point; otherwise you may cause damage to the gears or other part of the RA & DEC mechanics.

Right guys. I’ve set up my telescope. But the problem is. When I find my object in the crosshairs of my finderscope, I then look through the eyepiece and it’s just white blur?? I can’t see what u can see in my finderscope?

19 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Jennifere20 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Looking at the image, it looks OK to me. 

You may find that you can only go so far before the RA & DEC grinds to a stop. This is normal for small EQ mounts; so you will need to undo the locking bolts and redo every few turns of the slo-mo's. It is or can be frustrating for newbies. Do not go past this point; otherwise you may cause damage to the gears or other part of the RA & DEC mechanics.

Thanks for your reply.  I’ve set up my telescope. But the problem is. When I find my object in the crosshairs of my finderscope, I then look through the eyepiece and it’s just white blur?? I can’t see what u can see in my finderscope?

Is the finderscope aligned with the OTA?

If "Yes!" try an object far away, i.e. radio/TV mast, wind turbine, etc., ...not at something in your or neighbours garden,.
Start with your lowest power e/p, (the one with the bigger number), and then put in another e/p until you get the same view in both, (i.e. finderscope and OTA).

If your e/p's are not parfocal, you will need to adjust the focus accordingly every time you swap them. Do not use a Barlow lens at this point until you are satisfied all is aligned perfectly.

Your lowest powered eyepiece has the largest number on it.

Ideally you would tweak the mounting plate of the finder so that what you see in the finder is pointing the same way as were the telescope is pointing/looking at.

But step one is to achieve focus of an image from the telescope using the lowest powered eyepiece first (no where near the sun)

28 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Your lowest powered eyepiece has the largest number on it.

Ideally you would tweak the mounting plate of the finder so that what you see in the finder is pointing the same way as were the telescope is pointing/looking at.

But step one is to achieve focus of an image from the telescope using the lowest powered eyepiece first (no where near the sun)

So ignore the finder scope for now? 

This video may help. This guy has the same series of telescope as you albeit with a bigger tube. P.S: When the guy says adjust your 'longitude', he actually means latitude. 

Edited by Nerf_Caching

I’ve watched that. I’m getting so frustrated with it. I think I’m going to leave the finder scope and just look for the moon through my scope Tonight. You wouldn’t think I had a science degree would you? 

It is important to get the finderscope aligned with the view through the eyepiece (a low power one) in the scope. You need a distant target such as a chimney to do this in daylight. The target needs to be several hundred metres away or more.

It is very difficult to find targets in the main scope without the finder scope properly aligned - even the Moon !

The moon does not rise until 2:52 am tonight I'm afraid.

You will need to focus the main scope view.   Try the low power lens Until you get the hang if it all. 

carole

So just ignore the finderscope for now? 

No, finderscope is essential but don't expect the main scope to be in the same focus - it will need focusing separately.

Carole 

52 minutes ago, Jennifere20 said:

I’ve watched that. I’m getting so frustrated with it. I think I’m going to leave the finder scope and just look for the moon through my scope Tonight. You wouldn’t think I had a science degree would you? 

To be fair though after using one of those on somebody's scope that finderscope seems to be quite rubbish if I have to be honest with you.  I'd rather ditch it and replace it with a red-dot finder.

Edited by Nerf_Caching

Right... I might be sounding really stupid here. I’m sorry if I do. But... I’ve just aligned my finding scope. But what I don’t realise is... if I’m going to be moving my telescope about outside then won’t I have to align the finder everytime? 

Once the finderscope is aligned with the main telescope, it will remain aligned so long as you leave the finder attached. If the finder gets knocked between sessions then it may need realigning but over the course of an evening it should remain aligned. 

Right. I’ve just aligned my scope on a church steeple. But when I’ve looked through the eye piece I couldn’t see nothing. What am I doing wrong? Does the telescope have to be upright because I had it to the side? 

8 minutes ago, Jennifere20 said:

Right. I’ve just aligned my scope on a church steeple. But when I’ve looked through the eye piece I couldn’t see nothing. What am I doing wrong? Does the telescope have to be upright because I had it to the side? 

Have you tried moving the focus in or out? Yoi might need to turn the knobs quite far before it will move into focus.

Also it will sound really silly but we have all done it, make sure you have taken the cap off the front of the scope before looking through the eyepiece.