Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Intervalometer

Glad i found a place to ask question.  I recently watched a clip from nico carver and he gave some advice about using a dslr.  Im quite new to all thats related to astronomy.  But while using a nikon dslr without the ability to be controlled by asiair, im searching for an almost perfect dslr.  The best option is probably a full frame but in the price range around € 400/500 i wont find one with a flip-screen. So cropped sensor is my only option.  But the nico carver clip mentioned an intervelometer build in a camera.  So I understand that when the dslr is attached to just a scope without my asiair im still able to shoot multiple frames without paying attention to the camera?  Im asking for advice and maybe experience in canon dslr with a rotatable screen ánd intervelometer.   I just cant find a list with possible models of the eos.  Right know im thinking of buying an used 60d.  They go for 200€ in good shape.   If someone can advice another model im very curious.  Oh and the 60d should be sealed and weatherproof so the suggested one must have that also

Edited by Robindonne

Not the Canon but I have a Fuji X_T1 and that has a built in intervalometer but it only goes up to 30 second exposures. May be other cameras have longer exposures possible.

This was OK when I used to do Alt-Az imaging, but since acquiring an EQ mount I want to take longer subs. I've just got one of these. It sits in the flash mount and a short cable goes to the camera remote release socket. It is controlled by a remote handset which communicates via wi-fi with the shutter release. So if all else fails, you could go down this route. They can be bought for use with different cameras, just the interconnecting lead is changed.

61nWA7ikZbL._AC_SL1000.jpg.391e28aaad69909c848bca1617033b4e.jpg

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Thanks 1

I dont think any Canon camera has the full capabilities of a standalone intervalometer built in, my Canon 80D has most of its features but not all although enough for time lapse/star trails etc.

You can use "Magic Lantern" firmware on some Canon cameras to expand the capabilities with its internal timer settings.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Thanks 1

Yes so a remotecontrol is probably the best option.  I will look into the different given options then.  Unfortunately.  If canon didnt make a model with these features combined then there is no other way to buy one of the remotes.  The magic lantarn sounds familiar. Ill have a look ofcourse but when its capable of programming series of long exposure times then i guess any canon will have that option? Or are some models excluded?   And due to the lack of a list with dslr’s who have this option im still curious if someone can advice me.  Thx.  Dankjewel

28 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Not the Canon but I have a Fuji X_T1 and that has a built in intervalometer but it only goes up to 30 second exposures. May be other cameras have longer exposures possible.

This was OK when I used to do Alt-Az imaging, but since acquiring an EQ mount I want to take longer subs. I've just got one of these. It sits in the flash mount and a short cable goes to the camera remote release socket. It is controlled by a remote handset which communicates via wi-fi with the shutter release. So if all else fails, you could go down this route. They can be bought for use with different cameras, just the interconnecting lead is changed.

61nWA7ikZbL._AC_SL1000.jpg.391e28aaad69909c848bca1617033b4e.jpg

Ian

Thx and probably also a good camera but some brands are not supported sadly so have to search for a compatible canon or nikon.  Or just skip the dslr fase and jump to zwo cameras.  The stupid thing is that at this moment i start to realize i shouldnt have sold a lot of stuff that was included in a second hand set i bought.  Sold the polemaster.   asi178.  A 60 mm guidescope with an altaircam.  I m not gonna tell for how much(less) i sold it because im gonna kick myself probably.  And that was just some months ago when not knowing what to do with these items🙄

Edited by Robindonne

12 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Yes so a remotecontrol is probably the best option.  I will look into the different given options then.  Unfortunately.  If canon didnt make a model with these features combined then there is no other way to buy one of the remotes.  The magic lantarn sounds familiar. Ill have a look ofcourse but when its capable of programming series of long exposure times then i guess any canon will have that option? Or are some models excluded?   And due to the lack of a list with dslr’s who have this option im still curious if someone can advice me.  Thx.  Dankjewel

I can only assume that the XXD and XD models are the ones that have made any attempt at an internal intervalometer, its worth noting that even expensive external options like the Giga T pro 2 cant do it all and still rely on some internal camera timer settings if you want to include mirror lock up for example into the sequence.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Giga T pro 2 cant do it all and still rely on some internal camera settings 

Ok.  Do you use one?  Do you suggest to search for a wireless one?  My first idea was, if canon never made a complete model, to look for wired.  Just because batteries and a free hotshoe for a rdf maybe?!  Im not really fanatic on daytime photography so probably never gonna make a family-picture from a long distance.  Actually never make family-pictures anyway😬. And phones are always present for these unique moments

Edited by Robindonne

Ok.  Do you use one?  Do you suggest to search for a wireless one?  My first idea was, if canon never made a complete model, to look for wired.  Just because, batteries and a free hotshoe for a rdf maybe?!  Im not really fanatic on daytime photography so probably never gonna make a family-picture from a long distance.  Actually never make family-pictures anyway😬. And phones are always present for these unique moments

I did have a Giga T pro and it was great as you could program two sequences and link them but upgraded it, I wouldn't worry too much about wireless options as a cheap plug in will do most of what you need and pretty much compatible with any camera post 450D era.

Although I have the ability to use my camera via an app over wifi or a remote shutter system I still love my diy wired shutter release the best..

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Thx and probably also a good camera but some brands are not supported sadly

I think you'll find that Canon is supported, I know the link I sent was for Sony but you just need to search for the Canon version. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixel-Wireless-Shutter-Release-Control/dp/B07M8J24NN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3BDEGYTC887GU&dchild=1&keywords=wireless%2Bshutter%2Brelease%2Bcanon&qid=1588314232&s=electronics&sprefix=wireless%2Bshutter%2Brelease%2B%2Celectronics%2C205&sr=1-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRk4xRUJZRTlENTUwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQzMzU4MUVaTVhUTlNQOTRUUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDIyMjY2NVpTUkdNMFRKSkhRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

It just comes with a different inter-connecting wire.

There are many "brands" that do the same thing, but a lot are just re-brands of the Chinese original!

I did use a fully wired version but found it was getting a bit tangled in the dark with the handset lead, so thought I'd try the wireless version.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Thanks 1

Lol thanks for all the links.  I do think I mistyped my question.  Of course very thankful for the links. They might be very helpful when canon or magic lantarn doesnt do it without an external piece of equipment.  But my main goal was to try to skip this piece.  I kind of made a choice about the canon model, a 60d. Cheap, dust and waterproof, that nice flip-lcd screen and the last thing that came up was the intervalometer.  And that is the part im not sure the 60d is the almost perfect choice for me.  Im Sure it doesn’t have it standard in the options so might check today if magic lantarn can be used at this model. Not sure if an internal intervalometer lets you choose for longer then 30 sec anyway.  And if no and no then the external intervelometer advices are very helpfull.   Thx for all advices 

Edited by Robindonne

Lol thanks for all the links.  I do think I mistyped my question.  Of course very thankful for the links. They might be very helpful when canon or magic lantarn doesnt do it without an external piece of equipment.  But my main goal was to try to skip this piece.  I kind of made a choice about the canon model, a 60d. Cheap, dust and waterproof, that nice flip-lcd screen and the last thing that came up was the intervalometer.  And that is the part im not sure the 60d is the almost perfect choice for me.  Im Sure it doesn’t have it standard in the options so might check today if magic lantarn can be used at this model. Not sure if an internal intervalometer lets you choose for longer then 30 sec anyway.  And if no and no then the external intervelometer advices are very helpfull.   Thx for all advices 

Magic Lantern is compatible with the 6D and as far as I know it will allow for more than 30sec exposures.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BlueStinger said:

Magic Lantern is compatible with the 6D and as far as I know it will allow for more than 30sec exposures.

Oh thx for the quick reply.  Although im planning for a 60d instead of 6d.  Maybe the 6d is in the end a better choice. I do want to have not much weight in the camera.  And therefore skipped the search for a5d.  They go cheap although so maybe retake some looks on this 5d and the 6d.   Was just watching at features of magic lantarn builds but couldn’t find the intervalometer yet.  Took a 3” exposure on the site so have to dive in a bit deeper.  While looking at the features of magic lantarn i did notice the lack of knowledge i suffer with dslr camera.  Am i diving in a hard to learn menu style or are these extras just extras added to the standard options.  And fully controllable through menu on the camera or are laptops needed?

1 hour ago, Robindonne said:

The Canon 60d is not waterproof - if you want a weatherproofed camera (and even then not waterproof) you need a single digit camera such as the 5D, 7D or 7Dmk2, examples of which you should find in budget if shopping used. The 7dmk2 was also the first camera for Canon EOS to have an intervalometer built in. It is limited to a maximum exposure of 30 seconds. If you are using a laptop or tablet there is software available (Canon provide EOS Utility on PC/Mac, Camera Connect on Android) which will let you control the camera and have all the intervalometer settings you desire. It also means you are not trying to assess focus and images on the small camera LCD screen which can help avoid a wasted evening of what you think are 'good' shots! It also means that you don't need to restrict yourself to a camera with a fold out screen if you see a good deal on another model.

• Thanks 1

The Canon definitely will not let you use the internal intervalometer in Bulb mode so you will be restricted to 30s. You will either need to get an intervalometer or control it via software on a computer to set up multiple longer exposures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

The Canon 60d is not waterproof - if you want a weatherproofed camera (and even then not waterproof) you need a single digit camera such as the 5D, 7D or 7Dmk2, examples of which you should find in budget if shopping used. The 7dmk2 was also the first camera for Canon EOS to have an intervalometer built in. It is limited to a maximum exposure of 30 seconds. If you are using a laptop or tablet there is software available (Canon provide EOS Utility on PC/Mac, Camera Connect on Android) which will let you control the camera and have all the intervalometer settings you desire. It also means you are not trying to assess focus and images on the small camera LCD screen which can help avoid a wasted evening of what you think are 'good' shots! It also means that you don't need to restrict yourself to a camera with a fold out screen if you see a good deal on another model.

Oh so shouldnt trust this info anymore from versus.com.  I actually used it a lot for comparing.  Im going to look into its reliability.  Dont want to be surprised after buying it.  “Weerbestendig” is our word for weatherproof and “stof- en waterbestendig” is translated dust and waterproof.  But i will definately check some other sources after you provided Me other info.  Thx

2A8D4962-E320-4C43-BBBB-2B406DFBE332.png

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

The Canon definitely will not let you use the internal intervalometer in Bulb mode so you will be restricted to 30s. You will either need to get an intervalometer or control it via software on a computer to set up multiple longer exposures. 

Ok. Then i will skip the search for models with build in intervalometer.  I was planning to use it with asiair anyway.  But when swapping to other scopes without needing to also move the asiair is probably time costing.  And indeed magic lantarn can step in for these moments.  Thx

10 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Oh so shouldnt trust this info anymore from versus.com.  I actually used it a lot for comparing.  Im going to look into its reliability.  Dont want to be surprised after buying it.  “Weerbestendig” is our word for weatherproof and “stof- en waterbestendig” is translated dust and waterproof.  But i will definately check some other sources after you provided Me other info.  Thx

2A8D4962-E320-4C43-BBBB-2B406DFBE332.png

The Canon 60D and 80D for that matter are weather sealed and considered dust and splash proof but dont offer quite the protection of the pro models.

Alan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Well i checked some other forums and reviews etc.  And they say indeed canon doesnt claim to be their 60d is waterproof.  At least not for underwater use.  I dont have manuals available for the 60d but i have to trust a bit on the mentioned foggy weatherproof.  And that was all i expected and hoped for.  After reading people killing their mount electronics due to some foggy nights i was keen on finding a piece of electronics thats a bit more sealed against at least fog and some dust.  

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The Canon 60D and 80D for that matter are weather sealed and considered dust and splash proof but dont offer quite the protection of the pro models.

Alan

Thx.  Yes that was what i was hoping for.  A bit protection is fine for me. Im not that fanatic to go out in the rain i think. But should i go for pro models? To have longer cameralife?   I really have no idea what situations you can get in at night.  I  have seen some pictures of frozen equipment etc.  But drying electronics in the open indoor should do well i think?

Edited by Robindonne

I've used my 60Da covered in dew and frost and in daytime in the rain with no ill effects [touch wood] 

Somewhere along the way the xx models changed from metal, magnesium ? bodies to plastic and the older ones were possibly tougher and more weather proof but later ones should be fine.

I use mine with a cheap wired intervalometer no laptops involved.

Dave

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Thx.  Yes that was what i was hoping for.  A bit protection is fine for me. Im not that fanatic to go out in the rain i think. But should i go for pro models? To have longer cameralife?   I really have no idea what situations you can get in at night.  I  have seen some pictures of frozen equipment etc.  But drying electronics in the open indoor should do well i think?

I think you just have to cautious with any electronic kit in bad weather, as for the pro models they are only weather proof if using a pro L lens. There are lots of ways to minimize the effects of rain etc with suitable covers or even a plastic bag.

Alan

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I've used my 60Da covered in dew and frost and in daytime in the rain with no ill effects [touch wood] 

Somewhere along the way the xx models changed from metal, magnesium ? bodies to plastic and the older ones were possibly tougher and more weather proof but later ones should be fine.

I use mine with a cheap wired intervalometer no laptops involved.

Dave

Yes.  I saw the 5d and maybe more models are housed in metal cases.  Dont really know if its better in protecting against dog and also against dew forming.  I believe sealing of inputs and buttons etc is more important. Actually think metal will cause more dew inside than plastic but i can be wrong.  Im going for the 60d and maybe 70 or 80 or perhaps 90 but i dont think they will pop up in used condition under €600,-   Thx for all the helpful info

Edited by Robindonne