Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

90mak or 90 refractor

I would prefer the mak as it would have no CA (chromtic aberation or false colour) at all. The Evostar being f/10 won’t have too much though. Some people aren’t that bothered by CA but most are. More important will be which mount. The mak being a very short scope will be more stable than a long refractor. on a light duty mount and speaking of mounts would you want a manual alt-az or EQ or a GOTO mount?

The 102 Mak is still a small lightweight scope so worth considering.

This thread discusses the 90 mak and a similar refractor.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

One question: Are you only intending to look at planets?

The 90 Mak will show Jupiter and Saturn and the moon. it is very likely too small for Mars in any detail.

In a way that is 3 objects. There are 110 Messiers, same Caldwells and many double stars.

Would it not be more applicable to buy a scope for the majority of objects.

A 90mm Evostar will show Jupiter and Saturn and the moon. The negative of an achro is the presence of chromatic aberration. However the Evostar is a 90mm 900mm focal length so at f/10 should be reasonable in the CA aspect.

If it was me I would save a little longer and keep a look out for a second hand 100mm ed frac. Something like a SW 100ed  . Better on CA, bit more aperture, light gathering ability, great for planetary and for a ed scope then second hand sensible money. Can be mounted on something like a AZ4 . You would then have a very capable set up for planetary.

Hope this helps

Edited by Timebandit
  • Like 1

The Mak; is a lot smaller and easier to travel with if you rely on publc transport ...and 'airline friendly'. I use a rucksack/backpack if travelling light. 

Only downsides I can think of at present, and applies to any catadiopric 'scope:

• cool down time, (I give my 're-modded' ETX105 a minimum of half-an hour). 
  • dew-magnets... a dew-shield is a must have accessory.
  • narrow/small field of view.
  • long/high focal ratio... my ETX is approxmately f/14

post-4682-0-18335100-1394160258_thumb.jpg  p3130001-enhanced.thumb.jpg.4d5cc4989d96b52e2bb88531e6f6e710.jpg

The above image is of Montes Apenninus with my taken with a digital compact camera; ETX105; 20mm Plossl, (in an eyepiece projection unit/adapter); mounted on the alt-az mount as shown in the top image. 

Another 'scope to consider and is highly regarded for beginners or those that want a lightweight scope for travel etc., is the Sky-Watcher Heritage 130P --->https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html 

I know that asking you what ypu want to look at is a bit difficult to answer. A question that is better answered after you have done some observing and found out what you like best.

You will soon notice that most on SGL have more than one scope as no one scope does it all. Don’t worry about it and if you want to get another scope later on that just means you are normal. 😁😁😁

Scope quality does vary a lot more or less based on price. I love my StellaMira 80mm f/10 but that is out of your budget right now. A moon pic taken with it.

07C80D81-CBD6-4856-827C-E2C8335937CD.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PEMS said:

One question: Are you only intending to look at planets?

The 90 Mak will show Jupiter and Saturn and the moon. it is very likely too small for Mars in any detail.

In a way that is 3 objects. There are 110 Messiers, same Caldwells and many double stars.

Would it not be more applicable to buy a scope for the majority of objects.

A 90mm Evostar will show Jupiter and Saturn and the moon. The negative of an achro is the presence of chromatic aberration. However the Evostar is a 90mm 900mm focal length so at f/10 should be reasonable in the CA aspect.

My first scope was a SW Virtuoso 90mm Mak. I found is was good scope for the brighter, equal 'showcase' doubles. The problem I found was locating fainter ones due to light pollution . 

OP, one other advantage of a 90mm Mak versus a 90mm refractor is you can use an Amici prism to give upright views so you could use it as a transportable terrestrial long range spotting scope - good for stationary targets like bird feeders or slow moving targets.

Consider the Celestron C-90 mak as it has a lifetime warranty. With a little careful flocking and a long dew/stray light shield it can provide some stupid crisp views. I love mine, but a twin of the Hubble would be practically useless around here as perpetual cloudiness has hung around for months!