NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PROBLEMS BUYING AND SELLING USED EQUIPMENT WITH RESTRICTIONS DUE TO THE PRESENT CRISIS ?

paulastro

I was wandering if anyone has had any problems with buying/selling used equipment due to the Coronavirus situation?  With restrictions, on travel particularly, there are some particular issues.  Difficulties that come immediately to mind (for larger and/or delicate items) to me are:

1  Travel is restricted as we all know, so none of use should be moving round the country exchanging equipment for bags of cash. (unless the buyer and seller live in the same street or use the same local shops!)

2  Even if people are agreeable to use a courier, I'm not sure that that there any that will insure the optics of instruments in transit.

3  Even if there are such couriers, will they actually come to the door to collect items at the moment, many delivery services will not currently come to the door for a signature.

I have been considering in doing some 'business' but the above (and perhaps  there are issues I haven't thought of)  have put me off.   I would be pleased to have any members thoughts on this.  After all, on the classifieds there are still plenty of ads - are people waiting to do any business until such a time that the restrictions are listed?

Many thanks.

Paul

I honestly think the buying and selling should halt.
Many Astronomers are in the 'At Risk' groups and should be protecting themselves and others.

Inline with my comment above I will withdraw my OOUK 10" straight forth.

Just my 2p worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think small items only now and items that can be wiped down with an antiseptic. Perhaps wipe down the item and pack it up and leave aside for a week before shipping. 

Couriers have new procedures for collection. I would only ship by courier and wouldn’t go to the post office.

DPDs new collection procedure.

3E931C95-A20B-4F84-88A7-A1E9002E8E81.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

Perhaps the administrators of the site should consider adding a reminder at the start of the classified forum reminding people they must obey the  current government restrictions.  The trouble is that even one person deciding to circumnavigate the rules could cause someone's death. 

Perhaps the classifieds should be suspended for the present time, or to restrict what they can be be used for until the crisis has passed?

• Like 1

I have quite a lot of gear that I am intending to move on but I've put that on hold for now. It is feasible, I guess, but I just don't see it as any sort of priority at all right now. I'm not tempted to buy anything either.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Perhaps we need to bear in mind that someone who's lost their income may need to raise funds to feed their kids.

Fair point, but still think it should be suspended, driving now being out of bounds, is not just for any perceived health risk, but the risk of an accident at such a bad time as this. ( Unneeded extra strain. ) A difficult choice I would say, almost dead or fed? I am very glad I am not in that position. I, like John, have several items that need to go, but it can wait.

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 3

I think it would he hard to have a general no go on classifieds as everyone's circumstances are different. 

I agree there should definitely be no collection only items as this is irresponsible on that part of both seller and buyer. 

Couriers have a responsibility to make sure they take precautions, which most seem to be. Any insurance issues will be down to the buyer and seller making sure they have appropriate cover.

I think it's important to try as much as possible to keep the economy going, to a lesser extent the second hand market has a smaller role to play, but a role none the less.

I guess in conclusion I'm saying it shouldn't stop. Just be sensible. I would be happy for admins to remove classified posts marked as collection only as its clearly ignoring government guidance. 

Just my 2pence

• Like 3

Off topic... 

Is there a specific reason why you title all your threads in capital letters? 

It doesn't seem to me that they are more important than others...

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

On 28/03/2020 at 17:39, paulastro said:

3  Even if there are such couriers, will they actually come to the door to collect items at the moment, many delivery services will not currently come to the door for a signature.

Yes, for example DPD request that a shipment be placed as close as possible to the front door of a pick up address. The courier will stand a distance away whilst this is being done and then you are required to step back for the courier to collect. The courier will also do the signature on your behalf. Quite recently I sold a large family tent, the buyer arranged collection, parcelled as two lots and this was the procedure. As far as I know this is still the procedure as it is referred to on their website. An alternative is to drop off at one of their pick up points if this is possible. 

There is no reason not to continue with the classified. As someone mentioned there are some who may need to sell items deemed as  assets due to financial circumstances and life goes on, just applying new procedures and a common sense approach - such as obviously no travel by car. During this lock down period, you never know there might even be some clear skies and people will be eager to get outside if they can and where possible purchase one or two items to enhance that. 

• Like 1